Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

"roots" like a weed

Kim's statement that ND roots like a weed has got me thinking. What are some good OGRs to try to root that are simple, for beginners? That are health and vigorous?
I love my Perle d'Or and Cecile, Clotilde. I have a few friends who admire my roses and I'd like to give them something that is "easy" and will do well for them.
This way I can get them hooked and pass along all the roses that don't work in my garden.
BWAH HA HA HA HA.
Susan

Comments (8)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Virtually anything bred from multiflora or wichurana root like the weeds they are, using pretty much any method you choose. Both types will layer themselves quickly and easily on damp earth or mulch, which is one reason they make such effective "ground covers". I think you may find types which sucker vigorously are best reproduced via those suckers. In my experience, vigorous suckering often indicates a reluctance to root. Many species and their hybrids fall into that category. Of course, many other factors enter into that equation so your mileage is guaranteed to vary. Kim

• hartwood
    10 years ago

Many Teas and Polyanthas and Chinas are easy rooters. Safrano, Angel's Camp Tea, Monsieur Tillier, Madame Lombard, Perle d'Or, Mutabilis, for example. If you want something that will root almost by itself, try Peggy Martin, Petite Pink Scotch, Caldwell Pink, or Marchesa Boccella.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

hybrid musks, wichurana climbers (New Dawn and the Barbier ramblers), most species roses, anything with a decent (half?) proportion of China in the lineage, sweet briars (Amy Robsart, Lord Penzance, Greenmantle et al), any of the procumbent roses, especially with wichurana or luciae in the mix, a number of bourbons, especially climbers such as Coupe d'Hebe, Blairii 2.

Tricky - Pimpinellifolias (although they sucker), R.foetida, R.damascena, r.moschata (might try a layer).

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

I agree with pretty much all of the above, except that I had no trouble rooting R. moschata. 'Cornelia' and 'Alberic Barbier' practically leap out of the pot. Also a lot of massive ramblers, close to species, root readily, which is why my garden is full of Ayrshire and Sempervirens ramblers and other house eaters. 'Spray Cecile Brunner' is very easy, by the way.
    Melissa

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great! These are more than enough to try! Another post for "clipping".
    Susan

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Have to agree that Chinas, teas & polys in general are easiest--at least for me.

All time easiest? Caldwell Pink. It is so no-fail I don't have to use any of the normal rooting procedures on it. Clippings tossed on the compost pile root--literally. Great pass along rose.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Grandmother's Hat is also an easy rose to root. Cuttings just stuck in the ground will strike more often than not.

It suckers mildly, too, but not enough to be a problem.

Rosefolly

• gnabonnand
    10 years ago

Easiest for me have been:
    Mrs. Dudley Cross
    Nur Mahal
    Gruss an Aachen / Pink Gruss an Aachen

I have an excellent, thornless Reine des Violettes. I sure wish I could root that one. It fails every attempt.

Randy