Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

growth habits of Rugosas

Hello. I have Therese Bugnet and that scent is the most powerful amazing scent to my nose. I just could swim in it.
I'm thinking about getting Scabrosa...thoughts?
Do I need to pull the canes down a bit to get laterals or do Rugosas just grow straight upright and flower at the tips?
Oh, that scent.....
Susan

Comments (6)

• Evenie
    10 years ago

I don't grow rugosas, but my mom does and I don't think she does anything with them at all. I don't think I've ever seen one that was upright. They generally have lax canes that fall over into a very large informal shrub. They grow on beaches in New England in sand and bloom their hearts out without any human intervention at all.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I grow lots of Rugosas in a similar environment to yours, Susan. Almost all are upright, tho they can flip about some when they are top heavy. I grow Scabrosa; it does well enough, tho Magnifica is better. Sir Thomas Lipton is glorious, if you want a tall, fountaining white.

But one bit of caution. I've had a terrible problem with dieback from root rot this year because of all the rain. My clay soil just does not drain well enough. The bigger plants/deeper roots are worse off than the smaller ones. This is the first time I've had any problems whatsoever with my rugosas--they've even survived the RRD that plowed thru here a few years ago. So give them a deep hole with lots of sand. Rugosas are originally from the northern coasts of China and Japan, which is why they do so well in New England and the Maritimes. And they did well for me in Santa Fe. But they don't like wet clay!

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I think catsrose is right about drainage being an issue. I remember a similar rainy summer long ago when the rugosa I had then was very unhappy.

A caution about adding sand to clay, however--you need at least 70% sand before the mixture begins to lighten and drain better--and even then, where's the water going to go? Planting your rugosas on mounds might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil texture triangle

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. Thanks everyone for the heads up! Any other Rugosas you can recommend Catsrose?
    I particularly liked Scabrosa's hips...And the fragrance of the others?
    Susan

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I love Fimbriata, who is tall and fountains, doesn't sucker and smells soft and downy and clean. And Frau Dagmar for small. And Roseraie de l"Hay, Dart's Dash, Will Alderman, the species red&white...I really like Rugosas. The ones I have had bad luck with are Hunter, Marie Bugnet, Jens Munk--but it may be where I've put them. I like Blanc Double, but she balls and gets slimy brown when wet.

Michael is right about sand. I have dug a very deep hole, put a few inches of gravel on the bottom, then sandy&gravel, then sand&soil, the sandy soil . That works pretty well because the feeder roots will often shoot off to the side, but the main root doesn't sit in a puddle. But its a lot of work and mostly I am too lazy--and then pay for my laziness when we get a rainy season.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright, great! Adding them to the "grow someday" list. My soil is pretty well-drained but will remember the sand/gravel. I do that with my dianthus.
    Thank you.
    Susan

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH