Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuderte

Could this be 'Old Town Novato'?

tuderte
9 years ago

I was just looking through some photos on The Heritage Roses Group on Facebook. I came across an image of 'Old Town Novato' which, I think, very much resembles a rose I 'found' at our local 'old cemetery' in May.

The rose was absolutely enormous with the most wonderful perfume - on my screen the colour is true to the colour of the rose - I would call it almost a dark magenta but the reverse of the petals are much lighter.

I will post another photo of the reverse of the petals.

I should point out that the photo was taken with my phone around the middle of the day so the lighting was very harsh.

If anyone who is familiar with 'Old Town Novato' could give me their opinion I would be very grateful.

I've just taken a couple of cuttings of this rose last week and I do hope they 'take' because the mother plant has been very badly hacked about and doesn't look as if it will survive.

Cheers
Tricia

Comments (19)

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This photo was taken at the same time of another rose on the same plant that shows much lighter colour of the reverse of the petals.

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo taken at the same time which also shows a bud.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yes. I'd say it could. Private message me, and I'll try to put you together with the person who collected OTN to begin with.

Can you post a whole leaf, with all leaflets and stipule? Also, I'd very much like to know where you ran across it (which might indicate a connection to OTN).

If you guys get some decent rain (you are in NoCal?) the old girl might yet survive.

Jeri

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted duplicate post

This post was edited by Tuderte on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 17:07

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I can't find a photo of a leaf with stipule, however, I did find an out-of-focus shot of a bud with foliate sepals - the colour of the petals is completely bleached out - I'm sorry for that but, at least, you can see the shape of the receptacle.

Tricia

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found this photo - I think it's clearer that the previous image of the bud.

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And lastly, this is a photo of a bloom I cut ( last May).

To give an idea of proportion, the vase is 25 cms (10 inches) tall, so you can see how large the bloom is.

Tricia

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous rose! I love the color and the way the petals swirls around each other, and of course the size of the bloom. The picture of the flower in a vase is really dramatic.

Ingrid

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Very beautiful- I'm hoping your cuttings take, and also that the mother plant survives.

Virginia

• jerijen
    9 years ago

The sepals are right -- that's for sure. And the pale reverse is right, too. I need to go out tomorrow, pick some leaves and compare them to your photos.

• jannorcal
    9 years ago

Berndoodle has posted detailed pics and description of OTN on her website.
    You can click on each thumbnail at the link below to enlarge the photo.
    Might help with comparing the roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Details for Old Town Novato

• odinthor
    9 years ago

The waviness/undulations of the individual petals in the photos posted by Tricia are (a) beautiful, and (b) different from what I'm seeing in pix of 'Old Town Novato'.

Do I understand correctly that OTN is supposed to be the same as '[Jay's] Hudson Crimson'? I've had the Hudson rose for many years--I'm very fond of it--and no way could Tricia's "undulating rose" be the same as the Hudson rose: Both are beautiful, but in different ways.

Tricia's foundling deserves to be distributed . . .

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Brent -- Opinions seem to wax and wane -- but the last I heard, Cass ("Berndoodle") was of the opinion that "OTN" and "Hudson Crimson" were the same.

Jeri

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I hope the op's cuttings strike, because the possibiities are so intriguing.

I will send your pix on to Berndoodle.

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments ... and Jannorcal thank you so much for the link to 'Details for Old Town Novato' - I'm finding so many interesting articles on that website (www.rosefog.us) but, particularly, the one called 'Found Roses: Collecting & Identifying'.

I realised that I had never posted an image of the rose 'bush' (which is really stretching the definition of bush) - here it is - I apologise for the quality of the image - taken at 1pm on 10th May with my phone so the sun was pretty much directly overhead.

Tricia

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Tudserte -- Sorry -- been out of touch. But really, that plant looks A LOT better than many I've seen! (And the photo is actually lovely, too.)

Jeri

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Jeri - that photo is how the rose looked last May! This is what it looks like now -

I don't know how why they decided that 'maintenance' means you should strip the plant of any remaining leaves!

Tricia

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some more information ... I went back to the cemetery today because I wanted to check out the commemorative stone in the wall next to the rose - the plaque is white marble and the inscription is almost indecipherable now, however, I was able to make out the date of death 'MDCCCLXV' which, if my memory serves me well, is 1865. I find it hard to believe that the rose would have lived so long, given its present state but I guess nothing's impossible.

I've also noticed that a lot of the roses in the cemetery seem to have been grown from cuttings of older roses there. I think I have now found a very young, fourth plant of this rose. I'm not sure because I've not seen the original bloom other than fully open.

I found this plant today, in a completely different section of the cemetery - I smelled the bloom and its perfume is wonderful - it's what I remember of the original flower. However, perhaps because I saw the original flower in May and it's now November, the bloom seems quite different. I'm attaching an image taken today (once more, with my phone)
    -

and yes, the hole in the cement in which the rose is growing has a diameter of about 6 inches!

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closer shot of the bloom in the last photo -