Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Any polyantha as pretty as Blue Mist?

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

Tammy from TN recommended Blue Mist to me, and I love it, despite its chlorotic with my alkaline tap water. I planted in the ground, neutral soil. With rain water Blue Mist is stunning - heavenly lavender color, great scent.

I asked Burling from Burlington Nursery what other roses can match Blue Mist in terms of repeat & many blooms and beauty. She e-mailed me: "I favor the following due to repeat and plentiful blooms: Too Cute, San Francisco Sunset, Alfalfa, Anda, Petite Francoise, Britannia, Verdun, Heinrich Karsch, Orange Miss Edith Cavell"

JeriJen recommended Lady Reading - but not hardy in my zone 5a. I am always in awe of Marie Pavie and Blue Mist's beauty, so clean and so pretty. What are your stunning-in-bloom small roses? Below is a picture of my blue mist, a bit chlorotic, but still pretty:

Comments (26)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

It's not a Polyantha, but I find the Micro-Miniature, 'Elfinglo' enchanting.

If Burling doesn't have it, we need to see that she gets it.

Jeri

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ingrid is right about Blue Mist doesn't like the heat. Its best is cool spring and fall. My picture was taken right before frost, at the fading end of fall flush... each flush lasts more than a month. The colors in HMF is right on Verdun - too bright for my taste, same with Orange Miss Edith Cavell ... the colors actually hurt my eyes.

• cupshaped_roses
    11 years ago

Sweet Chariot (though not a polyantha either )might also be a good choice for you Straw. It even has a very good fragrance. Digger who used to post on this forum grew it up in Montana - so you should be able to grow it well too - see link and the other pics on HMF. It is my favorite Moore Rose (along with the charming little Renny).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Chariot

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Niels, for info. on Sweet Chariot and Renny. I appreciate that. I should check on the English Roses Forum for any new pics. that you post ... I always enjoy them.

• windeaux
    11 years ago

It's been only fairly recently that I've come to appreciate the charms of Polyanthas. I've no idea what took me so long. Perhaps it's merely that simplicity in all things becomes more beguiling (if not more essential) as the years slip by . . .

• landlady
    11 years ago

But, but, but....Blue Mist is a mini not a poly. The only point being do you want a similar plant or a poly?

Take a look at Sunshine, Martje Caszant (both polys).

• eahamel
    11 years ago

The Fairy and Gabrielle Privat are both good polys.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Landlady and Eahamel for great choices. I looked up Martje Caszant but couldn't find, will try a diff. spelling combination. Gabrielle Privat is like a bouquet, very nice.

Like Windeaux, it's only recently that I appreciate the charm of polys and minis. It's amazing how a small bush can light up the garden with its always-blooming bouquet form for a month per flush. They look great in vase, I cut Marie Pavie as a spray in bud-form, and it's so charming in a vase, lasted 3 days! I hope to do the same with Kim's Lauren, which won a cut-flower category.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gabrielle Privat polyantha

• landlady
    11 years ago

Oops, of course you couldn't find her. I spelled her name wrong. It's Cazant. Here's a link to her at Vintage Gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martje Cazant

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

Polyanthas are very wonderful roses, I think. A new one for me that has been healthy and bloomed a lot for being so young is 'Tip Top.' 'Petite Francoise' is very bloom happy and cute. I love it in a vase with larger roses.

I am glad you mentioned 'Lauren' - that rose blooms all summer long here and still has blooms now. Other young ones for me are 'The Faun' and 'Sweet Pea' both wonderful so far. 'Excellenz von Schubert' is beautiful too. I love 'Baptiste La Faye.' So many wonderful choices among the polys.

This is 'Tip Top'
    {{gwi:317086}}

'Petite Francoise'
    {{gwi:317087}}

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Also look at The Fairy. The link is for the Antique Rose Emporium, and the pic shows it growing at their nursery.

I saw it yesterday at HD.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Fairy

• jeannie2009
    11 years ago

I second the suggestion for the Fairy. It was one of the mystery roses i received from Rogue nursery this summer. It's a bloom machine.
    i've had to be strong and cut off many buds so that the plant grows and survives the winter.
    Speaking of winter, so far this has been a wonderful Autumn. The leaf peeping has been so special. We're planning a short trip to the Oregon coast this weekend before the rainey season hits.Enjoy your gardens each day.
    Jeannie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

landlady, I suppose we could call it either a mini or a polyantha since it's a rosa polyantha "nana" seedling. Either way, it's a lovely rose.

• landlady
    11 years ago

Well, you can call it anything you want to call it I suppose, but it was registered by it's breeder, Ralph Moore, as a Mini. Personally I think that's silly, since it looks so much more like a poly, and I have had this conversation before about how breeders give their roses the names which are most popular at the time so they are most likely to sell. Still and all, Ralph Moore registered it as a Mini.

Here is a link that might be useful: information on registration of Blue Mist

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

Well, my own opinion is that Strawberry is on safe ground calling 'Blue Mist' a polyantha. For one thing, Vintage classes 'Blue Mist' as a polyantha, having moved it from the miniature class.

Ralph Moore is quoted in the entry in the Vintage catalog for 'Blue Mist' - "As Ralph Moore said, 'If it looks like a Mini, it is a Mini.' This doesn't and isn't. A graceful, bowing, spreading small shrub. Exquisite color.'"

I've never really understood what a miniature is, other than it has small blooms. Well, so does 'Petite Francoise' but that is a poly. The lineages of the minis I've looked at have polyanthas all mixed up with other miniatures, wichurana, multiflora, and chinas and who knows what all else. It's no wonder that the rule is that the breeder gets to pick; it's too mixed up to make hard and fast rules. I've read that the ARS may combine them all into a 'cluster flowered' class. Does anyone know anything about that?

And I almost didn't mention 'The Faun,' seedling x 'The Fairy,' because although it is classed as a poly, it is also classed as a shrub and a floribunda. Too confusing.

Oh, and does 'The Fairy' have a lot of thorns?

• landlady
    11 years ago

Well, well, well. I'm always on the Gregg Lowery/Vintage Gardens side of any naming discussion, and had I looked at the Vintage site rather than the HMF site before I commented, I would not have. Go for it. I'm on board: Blue Mist is now a Polyantha at my house....I'll have to go out today and see what I put on her label....sorry, Ralph.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I have Verdun, Blanche Neige (AKA White Koster) and Zenaitta. Of the three Zenaitta is by far my favorite and the best. Healthy, hardy and is a regular bloom machine all season. Blanche blooms in cycles but there's quite a while between flushes. Verdun blooms the least and is also the most disease prone. I had La Marne and I LOVED it but it didn't winter well for me.

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

oh, well, shoot, Landlady, you'd be safe to maintain it was a mini also. Who knows, anyway? It's fun to discuss, and that's the whole point. I'm sure no expert about anything.

• Patricia Munroe
    10 years ago

I just happened on to this old post and in hopes that someone might still be interested in "what makes a mini a mini".
    Here is what was explained to me many years ago by Ralph Moore himself, " the classification for a mini rose is determined by the size of the foliage not the size of the plant".
    Blue Mist has very small foliage but the plant itself will get more than 5 feet tall in our central California climate, the same goes for Sweet Chariot. For those living in colder climates you will find that the winters will keep the growth in check. I have several micro mini's that are 6 to 7 feet tall and still growing but the leaves are still micro mini in size.
    I hope this is helpful to someone.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Do you have a list and their sizes in SoCal? I would be interested

• Patricia Munroe
    10 years ago

Kippy-the- Hippy, I will compile a list with some pictures and post in a day or so. What mini's are you growing at this time ?

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

I like Lindee but am not sure whether it's a mini or poly. It has dime sized white blooms on a vigorous plant. Mine is about 4'x 4, healthy and repeats. Has proven to be very hardy. Has clouds of white blooms:

• erasmus_gw
    10 years ago

Porcelain Rose is very hardy, healthy, and blooms a lot with very sweet pink blooms with white and green reverses.
    Sometimes they're cabbage shaped. Lynnie and Lauren also came through the winter well. Both are healthy and bloom a lot. Here's Porcelain Rose from last year:

• Kippy
    10 years ago

RosePat, that is a great question. I know I have two, but might find that I have more.

No photos yet, they have not blooms for me and are new to the garden for this season.

• Patricia Munroe
    10 years ago

Cinderilla with Oakington Ruby sneaking into the left side of the pic. They both are up to the top of the wall of the house now. Both of these roses are reg. as micro mini's.

This post was edited by rosepat on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 20:17

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting