Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love2garden_nc

Shailers Province Rose

love2garden-nc
15 years ago

This is my first time on this forum. I'm just getting interested in antique roses. I was at a nursery today and saw a rose named 'Shailers Province Rose'. I've googled it and can't find anything about it. Does anyone know anything about this particular rose? Any info appreciated. Barbara

Comments (17)

• cincy_city_garden
    15 years ago

Was this it? See link below. Welcome to world of antique roses, it's addicting :) You should buy it!

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Shailer's Provence @ HMF

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Welcome, I don't grow this rose but have admired it for years. It's quite beautiful. It is a once bloomer, blooming in the spring. You are cooler than I am so it should do very well for you. Hopefully, some one who grows it will be along shortly to give you more information.

Carol

• melva
    15 years ago

I have that rose, it was a small plant when I got it..the blooms are lovely!
    {{gwi:317267}}

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

It's Friday afternoon, and for the first time, I find that this is a seedling of "the spineless Virgin".
    I've got to stop snickering about this.

• hartwood
    15 years ago

This is probably my very favorite antique rose. Yes, it's a once-bloomer -- but it blooms for weeks and weeks. Afterward, the foliage is really lovely. It smells wonderful, and it will grow just about anywhere.

{{gwi:317268}}

{{gwi:317269}}

{{gwi:317270}}

{{gwi:267910}}

{{gwi:267917}}

You bought it, didn't you?

Connie

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Connie, I'm sure that if she didn't buy it before, she'll rush out and buy it now. Gorgeous!
    Ann, I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one who found that amusing...

Carol

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

This was the first rose I "rustled." I found it in a small rural cemetery. I LOVE this rose. I cannot understand why it's not more popular. It suckers freely so I always have some to share.

Robert

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

I love this rose too. One of the very healthest and so beautiful. Thank you, Robert for this gift.
    Olga

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

Does anyone have anything more about how this one was identified?
    Christopher's "In search of Lost Roses" page 44 cites Douglas Seidel finding out later that one of his found roses was "Shailer's Provence, a China rose"
    The reference on Helpmefind suggests more of an alba source. (Google books have links to the original citation, also mentioned in Helpmefind.)
    And other books say Provence was another way to say Centifolia.

• cemeteryrose
    15 years ago

Welome, Barbara!

We grow Shailer's Provence in the Sacramento cemetery, so it does ok in our warmer climate, too. It's not a very showy rose for us, but lovely when it's blooming. Old roses are sold grafted onto root stock or own root. This rose does very well own root, but be aware that it suckers freely and can spread (at least it does in our loose, sandy soil).

There are many, many lovely old roses in almost endless variety. Hope that this rose is the first of many for you.
    Anita

• melva
    15 years ago

I got my plant from Ann, (I think) got it, when Jean had a party, and Rozanna and I, drove there....it is a long drive, from Texas to Tennessee..and I think it rained, a large part of the way. Poured!
    Both of our husbands, thought we were nuts!

• catsrose
    15 years ago

Welcome, Barbara. You can get Shailers--and literally thousands of other antique roses from www.vintagegardens.com. Also check out Ashdown Roses (closest to you), Chamblee's, Heirloom, Antique Rose Emporium, Countryside.

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Olga,

I'm glad that it's doing well for you and that you're enjoying it.

I still wonder why it doesn't get more attention....Shailer's Provence and The Bishop.

Oh well...perhaps it's just not marketed. Makes me wonder how many other "unmentioned" wonderful roses there are out there.

Robert

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

If I remember right, there was the Rose of Provence, which translates as centifolia, and the rose of Provins, which translates as gallica. If I'm wrong, I'm not the first person to have mixed them up.

Robert, how we used to go rose shopping was we would go to Mike Lowe's open garden in June, and see what looked good. Then you would either try to get it from him sometime or somewhere else. There are roses I have because they looked magnificent there, and roses I don't have because they looked awful there.

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

I was doing some searching and back in the 1800's there were references to White Provence as being a centifolia as if just anybody would know that. And since Shailor was at the turn of the 1700-1800, "Flora odorata" by Frederick Thompson Mott from 1843 is getting back to word usage that might have matched the time of the rose.

The rose section in that book begins on page 90 and it's an interesting read back in time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Specifically about fragrant white roses

• love2garden-nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone! I did go back and purchase the rose, I also purchased a Cherokee rose. You are right, this is addicting. I'm starting to read more about these roses and really getting interested. It's nice to know if I have any questions, there are lots of GW experts ready to help. Thanks again, everyone!!! Barbara

• stefanb8
    15 years ago

It's interesting, because the "spineless virgin" seems to refer to Rosa pendulina - which I really can't see in this plant at all. It looks to me like some variation on a hybrid china with its small, relatively hard, somewhat glossy mature foliage, and I would bet anything that it is; but what the other half of the equation consists of - that's anybody's guess. The best clues might be in those somewhat foliaceous sepals and in the glands. It definitely doesn't belong anywhere near the centifolias.