Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rinaldo_gw

zone/state listings

rinaldo
12 years ago

I wish more people listed their state abbreviation along with their climate zone. It can be difficult to assess and use other people's accounts of hardiness, diseases, etc. with only climate zone listings. After all, a zone 7 here in AR or in TN is a very different sort of thing than the same in Delaware or Oregon.

Comments (13)

• Glenburn
    12 years ago

rinaldo, I think that is a great idea, I wish they would to. As I live in Australia, I have to search state names to find things, if it was on all I would find it helpful, Regards David.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I wish so too but a lot of them don't even list a zone let alone a state. How on earth can you answer a question like, "can I winter this?", if you don't know where in the heck they live!

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Thank you. That's a suggestion that has been requested many times before. I think few understand what a tremendous difference where you are makes in all aspects of growing roses and gardening in general. Kim

• anntn6b
    12 years ago

Years ago, when our email addresses showed up, I answered a question from someone with the words redriver in their email, because I was sure that their Red River was on the Texas Oklahoma border. How many other Red Rivers have we heard of?
    Something in my answer prompted them to say that their Red River was in Arizona.

That's why the greater location information, coupled with elevation/zone information is a necessity.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I've debated this with myself many times. I want to include USDA zone information, and Sunset zone information is even more important to west coast gardeners. And I think most people who read the forum regularly do know that I live in California. It comes up in the course of conversation fairly often. Given that there is not much room to list all this information without being cryptic, I erred on the side of clarity.

However, I just went into my member page, changed my zone listing to Z9/S16 NCal, and saved it. I see that it is not yet showing up here. Perhaps they need to do some kind of overnight reload before such changes show up. We'll see in time. Has anyone else changed their zone information? How long does it take to appear?

Rosefolly

• organic_tosca
    12 years ago

Rosefolly, I entered my zones on my profile page awhile back, but it has never shown up either. I know that when I was first on the forum, I entered my USDA zone, and later I added my Sunset zone - later yet, I deleted both (temporary paranoia), and that worked. All those entries (and the deletes) worked. But my recent effort to replace them seems NOT to have worked. I'm entering a new version (like yours, as it makes great sense to me) on this post. Perhaps that's the way to do it - who knows? I've actually forgotten how I went about making all those previous changes.
    Laura

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Laura, I'll try your suggestion too. If you look on my member page, the new data shows up the way I changed it, but it doesn't seem to be showing up here. I'm plugging it in with this post FWIW. However, if they are not updating that information, we members can list our more complete data as much as we like and it really won't do much good.

Rosefolly

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Rosefolly...When I changed mine awhile back, I think I ended up doing it 4 or 5 times before it actually appeared...but it appeared right away. I wish I could remember exactly what I did to get it to stick, but unfortunetly, I can't :(

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

It's odd. I have updated it several times now. It appears correctly on my member page as Z9/S16 NCal but as you see it here. I have sent tech support a note. Perhaps they need to reload something.

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

Great idea---

Florence

• User
    12 years ago

I could never figure out how to change the screen name. In fact, I thought it was permanent. So I re-registered so that I could add my zone and state to my screen name so I wouldn't have to type it every time. My dilemma was that I'm in Louisiana. The name is too long to write out, but the abbreviation is LA, which many people read as Los Angeles. I guess, though, that here most people would know it's a state abbr and not a city? But you never know ...

So I figured I'd just make a note of that if I'm ever posting, and feel someone reading it should know which state I'm in.

• iowa_jade
    12 years ago

Yes, sometimes people from the Upper Mudwest give advice to people in the South or PA or something.
    F.L.
    IAGL

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

BTW, Gardenweb eventually fixed my problem with updating the zone/state information. I did send them a note. I really didn't notice when it started appearing correctly, so I couldn't say how long it took, but it is fine now.

Rosefolly

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals