Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Your late season pics, please ...and benefits of roses

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

It went down below freezing last night. I went to Cantigny rose park to see how roses survived the frost. They are still beautiful. Carefree Celebration leads the pack, followed by Gene Boerner and Chicago Peace. Carefree Celebration makes the most stunning dense 4' tall hedge - blows my mind as to its beauty, even after a freezing night.

I would love to see more late season pics. of roses across the country. The benefits of roses? It makes my heart sings. It's glimpse to paradise. I sniffed Betty White, or 2001 Meilland Andre le Notre. This pristine beauty has a marvelous and unforgetable scent, plus nice bush shape. My Frederic Mistral can't match.

Another benefit is to bring happiness to people that I give roses to. My neighbor was depressed about her grandson. I gave her a fragrant bouquet, she was all happy and thanked me profusely. I gave another neighbor a bouquet, She was all in smiles, and came back with a plate of steaming homemade Chinese potstickers to show her appreciation. Another neighbor gave my kid a ride home. I gave her both roses and tomatoes but she was really excited about the bouquet of Firefighter roses.

Below is a hedge of Carefree Celebration at the rose park, taken today Oct. 6, after a frosty night.

Comments (52)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carefree Celebration's origin is unknown. I suspect a bit of polyantha by its clustered-blooms, small bronzy-red leaves when young, reddish stems, and perfect dense, round shape of bush. I saw it without blooms, but many buds after a hot summer week, and the shrub was perfect even without blooms. Its dense foliage is pretty, 100% clean.

Gene Boerner is the one which is always in bloom even at 100's heat. It's known to last 1 week in the vase. At 40's temp, Gene smells good, nice rosy scent, plus almost thornless. At cold temp. Double Delight lost its scent, and Chrysler Imperial smells grassy & odd.

In my garden, Liv Tyler smells good regardless of the weather, like peach nectar. She's very thorny, but perfect health and bush-shape. Here's a pic. of Liv Tyler's bloom got nipped by frost, but still pretty:

• professorroush
    11 years ago

I just blogged yesterday about some individual blooms of my late season roses. In a few days, I'm going to show some overall before and after pictures of last night's freeze.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent blog on Garden Musings

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

Strawberry,
    Growing roses for their fragrance and beauty gives me a lot of joy. It is always wonderfl to have something to share with others, as well, and I am glad that your neighbors appreciate your flowers, too.

Some polyanthas are still blooming here. One I like today is Baptiste Lafaye. Gean

{{gwi:283058}}

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Gean, your Baptiste LaFaye is INCREDIBLE! I love purple polyantha. Thank you, Professorroush, for that blog about HTs and frost in Kansas, I look forward for more pics! Thank you, Hoovb, for a great pic. of Pink Gruss, too bad it's not hardy in my zone 5a.

Blue Mist is a beauty here in late fall, it likes it wet and cold. I'm tempted to buy a lavender polyantha Heinrich Karsch, but hesitate due to its multiflora heritage and my alkaline soil. My favorite now is Marie Pavie, it's the white bush behind yellow Calendula (a perennial that blooms until the snow comes). This pic. is taken after our 29 degrees last night.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your photos!

Our roses are all new this year and are just starting with another flush....only I am busy tearing things up and it looks a mess so not sharing photos!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Lovely pictures, and I was especially glad to see Baptiste Lafay since I have two. They're young and I hope they'll soon have gorgeous blooms like yours, Gean. Hopefully cooler weather will help.

Ingrid

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

No pics as usual from my parts, but the roses here are coming into beauty. We're having a very mild October, with temperatures from the fifties to the seventies and humid though not rainy, and the plants think it's spring. We had the great and, in late years, unusual blessing of rains at the beginning of September and then again a week or two ago, so there's moisture in the ground. When I got back from Florida in August the garden looked dead, dusty and gray; now the annual grasses are green and lush and the landscape is soft. Unlike in much of the U.S., summer isn't a growing season here. We have spring and, if we're lucky like this year, fall.
    The Tea and China roses suffer in our summers, and I've neglected them lately. But after looking in the summer like they're all going to die, they pick up and put out new growth when it cools down, and this year they have a good shot at ripening it; and we'll get a fall flush! I've been redigging the ground around some plants put in the ground years ago, realizing what a terribly bad job we did the first time, and hoping that they'll appreciate the terracing and addition of compost to their gray adobe. Weeding doesn't hurt them, either. The garden as a whole is greener, neater on account of the weeding and tidying of shrubs and aromatic plants, and looking a whole lot more like a garden than it did two months ago. We have endless amounts of work ahead, or so it seems, but I have hopes of having something beautiful one day.
    Sad to say, I don't think my garden makes anyone happy except me and my husband. However some years ago I did give my daughter's pediatrician rooted baby plants of 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' and 'Mme. Jules Bouche', and they did well for her and evidently contribute their share to her happiness; she mentioned them recently. Does it make any difference that her early studies in high school and at university were in music and drama? I think perhaps people are too worried about paying the bills, now and in the future, to be thinking about beauty and gardens. Maybe that's my job at this time, to be planting roses at a time when people don't care about them.

• User
    11 years ago

The day is a perfect autumn mellow and golden sensation so I am going off to the allotment to take some photos - to remind myself next year, how long the season lasts. Some parts are looking fairly tatty right now (the veggie beds, the fruit bushes) while the gravel garden and the late summer beds are looking fantastic (gosh, that sounds a bit boastful but it is a general admiration for the tenacity and delight of plants themselves). There are many airy perennials such as gaura, verbena bonariensis, indigofera heterantha, achillea, stipa gigantea and althea cannabina, with a number of salvia greggii plants - all facing west so the afternoon and evening sun lights up the delicate stems and petals. Dahlias are still glowing (like white tulips, I do not have pastel dahlias - they are all deep orange, scarlet, plum and claret, purples and vivid pinks. Subtlety with dahlias - a laughable proposition.
    Ah, but where are the roses? Well, as many of mine are wild or once blooming, I am enjoying heps rather than blooms right now, Even so, there are always a few gallant blossoms to be found but, I have to say, they are more or less off my radar. I don't really get excited by a few flowers on an otherwise bare bush and there are still far too many other garden pleasures to enjoy - a stand of miscanthus looks stunning and the rudbeckias and asters are still in their autumn glory. Maybe around Xmas, Zephirine Drouhin has been known to throw a few blooms - I would be rather more thrilled then, I imagine.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Incredible pics, thanks for sharing. I need to get my recent pics sorted out to post here....

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

professorrousch--thanks for your comments/pics of roses growing in Kansas. I enjoyed it.

My southern Kansas garden is not recovering very well from the summerlong 100+ degree temps. In fact, a couple roses look like they may not survive winter if we have a bad one. Of course, with climate change--who knows. Last winter was so mild that I couldn't believe I was living in Kansas.

I have 3 Elinas--usually a very strong, healthy, floriferous rose. One is blooming like crazy in this cooler fall weather, the second one suffered some heat damage but is recovering and starting to put out some new red growth and a few blooms, but the third has lots of brown leaves and no sign of any new growth much less any blooms. These 3 Elinas are all in the same area, in fairly close proximity, but each one is reacting differently to the heat abuse of the long, hot summer. Guess I won't know for sure what the long-term outcome will be until next spring.

The champion of endurance in my garden is Our Lady of Guadalupe. Hardly ever without blooms during the oven heat of summer and loving this cooler fall weather.

Second place in the endurance contest is tied: Red Intuition and Shakespeare 2000. They are loving it now, having managed to survive the heat blasts of our terrible summer.

Kate

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was checking on Baptiste LaFay, and found this info. from Chicochi3 in HMF: "All of my once-bloomers got hit by the freeze in April and did not bloom this year, but my repeat bloomers are now blooming along with The Nightwatch ..."

Krista, that's what happened to my Jacques Cartier, it got hit by frost in March, and gave me only 2 blooms. Unfortunately I didn't know about "once-bloomers got hit by spring frost and become stingy", so I gave him away. Annie L. McDowell got hit by March frost, but she's a blooming machine. Yesterday at 30's degree I pinched off many buds from Annie ... she tries to bloom in the frost and 4 hours of sun.

Computers are so much better now ... so are newly bred roses. Annie was bred in 2001 by Kim Rupert. Carefree Celebration was bred in 2007, a much better rose compared to Knockout, Flowercarpet, and Home Run. There are very few blooms left on the park's 1,000 bushes, except for LOADED Carefree Celebration, Gene Boerner, Singin' in the Rain, Cherry Parfait, Chicago Peace, and Double Delight. All these have compact size.

I saw my neighbor's 5' x 6' Knock-out bush yesterday, with only 4 blooms. She asked me how to make it smaller, and I said, "I killed them". My guess is that as the bush gets so big, there's isn't enough water and potassium available to make blooms. That lady waters her roses practically everyday, but she can't pump out more blooms on a giant bush.

Thank you, Melissa for a wonderful desc. of your garden in Italy, which I always enjoy... that's a great idea of giving folks rooted baby plants, to bring beauty to the world of plastic flowers and roses that cheat my nose when I sniff at the stores.

Hi Camp (Suzy): I have these dinner-plate Dahlias which I have to stake up, else they flop. I tried them once in a vase, too gaudy for my taste, zero scent... I'll give that to my neighbor next year. However, I love Athur Bell floribunda like you do for its glossy clean foliage, blooms have better color and scent in cold temp. Below is Arthur Bell taken yesterday. My Hybrid teas and Floribundas are really small in zone 5a, due to winter-kill to the crown:

• cupshaped_roses
    11 years ago

Carefree Celebration looks great Straw!

Up here in Northern Europe - some Austins are having their fall flush - Lady Emma Hamilton, and Spirit of Freedom - are really great right now - so are many Poulsen roses.

The Tantau Rose Astrid Gr�fin von Hardenberg gives some stunning late flowers too:

{{gwi:318047}}

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Here's my Blush Noisette in full bloom. It's a great rose, has some blooms most of the year.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

And Golden Celebration.

Strawberry, that Carefree Celebration is wonderful!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Niels: That Tantau rose Astrid is sumptious, looks like a jewel. Thank you for sharing its beauty.

Hi Eahamel: Thank you for your pic. of Blush Noisette and Golden Cel. They brighten up my day. Yellows and purplish red go great together. Hopefully Niels' Astrid become more available here, so I can pair with my Golden Cel.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Autumn blooms:

Evelyn

{{gwi:234842}}

Gertrude Jekyll

{{gwi:318049}}

Pink Promise

{{gwi:318050}}

Strawberryhill, Jacques Cartier is a repeat blooming rose, can take time to mature to have good repeat bloom...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I'm intrigued that the Tantau rose Astrid (exquisite) looks just like the Tantau rose Ascot. Any connection between the two, do you think? Diane

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Strawberry, you might like this rose. It does have a few thorns and does get to 4' according to Star. I took this photo when the rose garden opened at the local nursery. I thought about it a couple of days and went back to get one and they were gone.

Peppermint Pop by Star 2011

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

About 'Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg', my husband brought it home some years ago in an attempt to please me with a dark red rose. I don't like a lot of modern roses, but this one has been really good and has converted me into a fan. It stands out in full sun and wind, in compacted heavy soil, and grows very sturdily, with dark, dark red fragrant blooms. It has a stout, upright, vase-shaped habit of growth, what I think some Hybrid Perpetuals would be like, though I'm not very familiar with that class. Mine gets up to about 5'. A good rose for me as well as for Niels, even though our growing conditions are very different.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Everyone's photos are just beautiful, and I'm always nuts for Evelyn. Astrid is exquisite, as I said before, and she so closely resembles Tantau's Ascot that I'm showing this photo. Astrid or Ascot? Diane

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane, I have just fallen in love with Ascot, Astrid, Peppermint Pop ... and Krista's deep pinks. I got too many light pinks, that I need some deeper colors. It's fun to look up the ones posted here. There are so many good new roses for me to update my garden. Thank you, Kippy and Eahemel for posting those nice pics.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Ascot is so beautiful. But how is its disease-resistance? I'm already musing over what rose I can kick out of my garden in order to make room for Ascot.

Kate

• cupshaped_roses
    11 years ago

Tantau Roses have made some really good dark red roses - they often have a lighter center - as seen in their Hybrid Tea Taboo - their newer introductions Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg, Ascot and - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Same colour seen in the new Kordes rose Grafin Diana (see link).

Diane - I have been out to look at the leaves on Astrid Grafin von harden and Ascot today - I think your rose is Ascot - since the leaves are so serrated. The flowers on my Ascot are rarely so open - but more cupped and darker red/purple than yours - since you seem to grow your rose in more sun than I do.

Melissa - I do understand you like AGVH - it performs really well up here too - the canes with clusters have smaller flowers - but the flowers on canes that carry single flowers are big!. Almost black/red purple in the first flush - while later flowers are more like the one I pictured - purple outer petals - lighter 'red' center. Fragrance seems to wary according temperature. Stronger in sunny warm weather - veak in cold rainy weather. I only get a mild rose scent from Ascot.

Kate - I have not seen Black Spot on AGVH or Ascot - but I have seen a little Powdery mildew on the plants I had in large pots - but not on the plants I had planted in the ground. It does stress the plants to be grown even in large containers - but Tantau roses in general have very good disease resistance. (some exceptions have been Candlelight - a yellow HT/grandiflora - it got Black Spot bad this year - what a pity :-( it was so fragrant.

I think one of the greatest benefit of all my roses are the beauty and fragrance - and the joy and happiness it gives me Straw. I can not imagine living without very fragrant roses - I will grow some roses that need some spraying (like Sharifa Asma) that mildew and ball in wet weather :-( ...but the fragrance is outstanding. Other very fragrant roses like Madame Isaac Pereire and Frederic Mistral - gets rust - even when sprayed - and they will go ... but mmw...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gräfin Diana

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Thanks for your comment, cupshaped, and I agree my rose is Ascot. My question was just rhetorical to provoke some interesting answers. The photo in this post is Ascot in spring (I cheated). I have another photo of Ascot posted in the Roses Forum in the thread "response to color in roses". That Ascot, from October, is a deeper color without the reddish center. I have found that Ascot exhibits, as do most roses, variation in color in different seasons, but it doesn't fade much in extreme heat which is nice. Shape varies from very cup shaped to flatter. One other note--on HMF it is stated that Ascot is a short rose and not very wide. Not so much. Mine are starting to push toward 6 feet tall, and they are over three feet wide. Now if I could just squeeze Astrid in somewhere. Diane

• cupshaped_roses
    11 years ago

Ahh I took the bait then Diane :-) - your Ascot looks great! I do find it interesting how both color and shape of flowers wary in different seasons/areas. Evelyn is doing great here - it does freeze much back each year - but always bounce back and it also looks very different in color and shape:

{{gwi:318051}}

Hoovb grows a giant Evelyn!

Krista also grows Austin Roses well - they look very happy and many are bigger than mine :-)

I do grow Blush Noisette too - it does however not become nearly as big as Eaheamel - and I have quite a number of Golden Celebration bushes too - but they have bad black Spot this wet and rainy year - and I have not sprayed much ..hoping for a better season next year.

I have seen Straw's Liv Tyler rose over here - very pretty - like Liv. I do remember the video of the babtism of the the Liv Tyler Rose - see link. I also like what looks like blooming thyme as groundcover under your yellow roses - a classic combination Straw!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Liv Tyler Rose

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Cup, I love your Evelyn! My Blush Noisette is about 15 years old and doesn't get much care. I'm in the South, and it blooms until late in winter. I think the warm climate has a lot to do with its size. When I read a description of a rose, I always add a couple of feet to the dimensions. You should see Madame Antoine Mari when it is allowed to grow to full size - it will be taller than the eaves of your house!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Niels for that video on Liv Tyler, I enjoyed it. I love the color & shape of your Evelyn. Your soil brings out her best color. With my alkaline soil and tap water, Evelyn is grayish pink. When I mulched her with horse manure and with the rain, she becomes same color as my Frederic Mistral, much better.

One of th benefit of roses is I have my own to sniff. IT'S SAFER THAT WAY. I almost got my eyes poked one winter when I sniffed a bouquet at Trader's Joe, an Eucalytus Stem stuck out and hit the edge of my eyes. I did it again today while shopping, sticking my nose into a bouquet at Walmart, the clear plastic wrap hit my eyes first. It wasn't worth it - they all have zero scent, or stinky. Nothing compares to sniffing roses in your garden...

The groundcover in my pic. is Purple Alyssum, an annual, but spread like a carpet. I wish I have creeping thyme, Niels. I tried growing thyme 4 times, and failed - it doesn't like my soil. Below is a pic. of Bolero Floribunda, droopy from the frost but healthy here, and smells like waterlilies. In hot summer, Bolero smells like a French perfume. I don't spray, and use horse manure as mulch. You can see the purple alyssum carpet - I got a small piece for $3 at Walmart, divided it, and it took over my garden.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, cupshaped, that you went to all that trouble comparing Astrid and Ascot. I didn't mean for that to happen. Your Evelyn is stunning--so crisp and fresh. I am sad that all my Evelyn plants are declining due to root competition and too much shade from trees. They now only put out a few blooms in the fall, so seeing yours is a treat.
    I love the Tantau roses I have. Just below my two Julia Childs are three little Tantau Bernstein-Rose plants. They truly look like the Julias have had children with their almost matching shape and color. Great roses. Diane

• zaphod42
    11 years ago

Souvenir de la Malmaison from a few days ago.

[IMG]http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/zaphod42_gardenweb/P1030325.jpg[/IMG]

Pretty Jessica (She is a own-root that I planted this spring. This is her first and only bloom this year.)

[IMG]http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae23/zaphod42_gardenweb/P1030328.jpg[/IMG]

• zaphod42
    11 years ago

Oops!

Souvenir de la Malmaison from a few days ago.

{{gwi:318052}}

Pretty Jessica (She is a own-root that I planted this spring. This is her first and only bloom this year.)

{{gwi:318053}}

• vickysgarden
    11 years ago

Strawberry, you are truly the "Johnny Appleseed" of roses, spreading happiness wherever you go! Since I have been the happy recipient of your generosity, after reading your post, I feel obliged to offer you Jacques Cartier back....since you later learned more information that made you wish to have it back...I wouldn't want to keep it under those circumstances...I totally understand! Would you want me to bring it when we meet for your dental appointment in spring? Just let me know. It was initially slow to start growth, probably the trauma of moving in the heat, but developed nice little leaves on the green canes.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Vicky: Moving is hard on roses in the summer, one rose I moved took 2 months of constant watering to recuperate. Please keep Jacques Cartier, I don't miss it .. I shared the mistake I made so folks won't make them. I'll have Scepter'd Isle and Charles Darwin for you this coming March 25. They both are 100% clean, zero diseases here.

Hi Zaphod42: Those pics of SDLM and Pretty Jessica are lovely. Own-root takes longer to bloom. Most of my own-roots are really stingy the 1st year, then they surprise me with a huge spring flush the 2nd year. The exception is Francis Blaise and Bolero, both are constant-blooming as 1st year own-root, 4 flushes at 15+ per flush. Francis Blaise is a compact vase-shape shape shrub, with a floral myrrh scent that beats all Austins, except for Mary Magdalene (frankincense). Below is a bouquet picked before frost: Francis Blaise is the big pink, Firefighter is the upper left, Bolero is lower right, Sonia Rykiel is top pink, and Golden Cel. is yellow. They all last long in the vase, except for Golden Cel.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

The best bloomers right now are my two Buck roses:

Quietness
    {{gwi:318055}}

Winter Sunset
    {{gwi:318058}}

But Folklore has been putting on quite a show too
    {{gwi:318061}}

I'm already getting sad...these may be the last blooms for a long time!

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Seil, for your great pics. always. Winter Sunset is a beauty, I love that peachy color. Great photography on Quietness and Folklore. I miss the fragrances of my roses, can't capture that in photos. Last winter I wasted money on a bottle of frankincense oil, but it stank, a poor sub. for Mary Magdalene's cozy myrrh scent which reminds me of a warm fireplace. Below is the beige rose Mary Mag., a compact & small Austin shrub:

{{gwi:315767}}

I also miss mini Norwich Sweetheart's outstanding scent, even better than my Crimson Glory. Norwich Sweetheart has reddish pink ruffles, and a scent that melts my heart:

• vickysgarden
    11 years ago

Mary Magdalene changes color for me....sometimes apricot, sometimes pink, sometimes pale beige, as you noted, Strawberry Hill. It is one of my favorites this year! The petals are arranged so beautifully.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

I got a nice group of Sonia Rykiel when the heat let up.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

White Pet flowering in a 1 gal. from a band this summer. Can't believe how much this rose has grown in such a short time!

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Ambridge Rose is one of the best DAs I have. Apricot in cool temps and frosty peach to pale ivory in warm weather.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Kitty, for those great pics. I am kicking myself for not getting Ambridge rose, I love apricot color.

11 years ago

Gorgeous roses all, with my favorite being Liv Tyler, Baptiste Lafay and Sonia Rykiel.

My garden is one of the great passions in my life and I can't imagine a life without roses, especially old roses. The care I've given them has been repaid many times over with the happiness they've given me over the years. The planning, the planting, the growing - it's all been so exciting and pleasurable. Even the setbacks and challenges have added spice to my life, especially after I've overcome them! The garden will never be perfect, but striving to make it so is making me perfectly happy.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Vicky, Your Strawberry Hill is wonderful! I'm enjoying all the pics. Here's another from me, the roses are mostly Blush Noisette.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Heritage is still a favorite

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

Othello even bloomed in the rain. He's darker and more red than this but my camera can't capture it. Love that smell!

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

La France hangs down in the rain but that's alright. She's a beauty no matter what. I love everybody's pictures. Evelyn is decidedly on my list now. I went to Descanso today to see late roses. I will put up the pictures on the gallery forum later tonight.

11 years ago

Love the additional pictures, especially La France since I have one and have another on order. I really love its fragrance, and the flowers are so lovely. It's one of my favorite roses in the garden.

Thank you all for the wonderful pictures. This is a great thread.

Ingrid

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ingrid, Kitty, and Eahamel for those great pics. and info. on La France's scent. I'm tempted to get La France from Burlington. Burling has the patience of a saint for putting up with my changes and adding...

• plan9fromposhmadison
    11 years ago

Baptiste LaFaye! Oh, must have, MUST HAVE!!!

The color is fantastic, and I found one photo showing cupped blooms like those of Raubritter. And that new growth looks so healthy and Banksia-like!

Anyone know if it's hardy in Oregon? I see photos of it on a site named 'planten.de'... so presumably one can grow it in Germany...but maybe that's under glass in winter.

• User
    11 years ago

Eahamel - is that Talimum behind the roses? Have ordered seeds of this for next years sowing - think you call it jewels of ophar or summat like.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Camp, I was about to ask Eahamel the same question about those pretty yellows in her vase. Below is my garden taken after frost this October. Most of my roses are still blooming, except for Firefighter. Snapdragons bloom until the snow comes, so does the yellow clump "Calendula". They reseed themselves and put on a great springtime show.