Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you i.d. the red China I found on my walk?

Posted by luxrosa Richmond, Ca (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 18:49

I was walking near the coast by Point Richmond, which is an old neighborhood that's been in existence for c. 150 years, it began its' life as the end of a railroad line during the Gold Rush era, in California.
- near the wayside I saw what appears to be a red China, but I could not identify it. I looked at all the photos of China roses that vintagegardens.com sells and the only thing that came close in color of bloom was 'Winecup' a saturated red-cerise. It is not 'Winecup" because the foliage is so very different and the bloom is also.
Coastal red China has 10-12 petals including a couple petaloids, and matures from a red-cerise blend to strongly saturated cerise
-large size of bloom, 2 and 9/10's in diameter.
-white streaks typical of China influence.
-stipules are so small that I couldn't measure them.

-the Point Richmond red China opens wide and flat
and then does an odd thing, the petals reflex backwards so that the flower appears like an umbrella if held right side up in ones hand.

-filaments are only red in the one fourth section nearest the base, and then are white as they extend towards the pale yellow pollen.
-filament arrangement is splayed out kinda in a dome shape but with different lengths of filaments.
-the white bit at the base of each petal is much smaller than that of 'Winecup'
-the foliage is different from 'Winecup' too, more delicate in substance and it had tiny serrations along the edge.
-fragrance was spicy and marvelous, but light, ff to f as the day progressed.
I didn't have my camera, and never mastered the skill of uploading to this site, but

-Does my rose description ring a bell?

The growth habit showed a bit different from a full China and I thought it might have had Bourbon in it to get that marvelous scent, and less of a twiggy growth habit on the wide basal canes. I can't remember the armature.

Luxrosa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you i.d. the red China I found on my walk?

Are you going to the talk on china roses at Quarryhill tomorrow? You should bring it!

Jackie

o

Can you start a plant for the Heritage? We have lots of found Chinas, but none that sound just like yours.
Jill

o

Start one for the Sacramento Cemetery, too! I can see it either there, or in the Heritage, if you do!

It sounds fascinating!

Photos? If you can't get solid photos, do you have a flatbed scanner????

Jeri

o

I'll gladly try and root plants for both the S.J.H.R.G. and Sacramento Cemetery.
I'll let you know when/if I have plants for you both.

I can't make it to Quarryhill, wish I could.
Jeri, I'll ask a friend if she could photograph it and post it here, it will probably take a couple weeks to schedule that.

Luxrosa

o

Thank you very much! I look forward to seeing it.
I love, love, LOVE China Roses.

Jeri

o

Yes, we'd welcome a plant for the Sacramento cemetery garden. Thanks!
Anita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here