Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Can you i.d. the red China I found on my walk?

luxrosa
12 years ago

I was walking near the coast by Point Richmond, which is an old neighborhood that's been in existence for c. 150 years, it began its' life as the end of a railroad line during the Gold Rush era, in California.

- near the wayside I saw what appears to be a red China, but I could not identify it. I looked at all the photos of China roses that vintagegardens.com sells and the only thing that came close in color of bloom was 'Winecup' a saturated red-cerise. It is not 'Winecup" because the foliage is so very different and the bloom is also.

Coastal red China has 10-12 petals including a couple petaloids, and matures from a red-cerise blend to strongly saturated cerise

-large size of bloom, 2 and 9/10's in diameter.

-white streaks typical of China influence.

-stipules are so small that I couldn't measure them.

-the Point Richmond red China opens wide and flat

and then does an odd thing, the petals reflex backwards so that the flower appears like an umbrella if held right side up in ones hand.

-filaments are only red in the one fourth section nearest the base, and then are white as they extend towards the pale yellow pollen.

-filament arrangement is splayed out kinda in a dome shape but with different lengths of filaments.

-the white bit at the base of each petal is much smaller than that of 'Winecup'

-the foliage is different from 'Winecup' too, more delicate in substance and it had tiny serrations along the edge.

-fragrance was spicy and marvelous, but light, ff to f as the day progressed.

I didn't have my camera, and never mastered the skill of uploading to this site, but

-Does my rose description ring a bell?

The growth habit showed a bit different from a full China and I thought it might have had Bourbon in it to get that marvelous scent, and less of a twiggy growth habit on the wide basal canes. I can't remember the armature.

Luxrosa

Comments (6)