Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill_perry_gw

Any mini/patio rose lovers/experts here?

jill_perry_gw
12 years ago

I've been trying to identify some of the Courtyard Garden roses at the Heritage Rose Garden. The ones that are still complete mysteries are on my Picasa site, and I'd appreciate any help in identifying them. Some of the roses are minis, but some are shrubs or patio roses.

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: Jill's Picasa site

Comments (11)

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    12 years ago

Jill, "Very large shrub" (pictures 12 to 17) is not 'Lyda Rose'? It looks so similar, but I am so much not an expert. How large is "very large"? In any case, it's enchanting. -- Debbie

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I also thought of hybrid musks when I first saw it, which is why I took the close-up of the stipules. Lyda Rose, has multiflora in it, as do most hybrid musks. These stipules are glandular, but not fringed, indicating no multiflora in its background. But thanks for the suggestion.
    Jill

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Got one of them: 03-2-2 (Photo nos. 7 and 8) is VERY likely Irene Marie. I'd recognize that rose anywhere and it's a fav of mine. And until I read your label, my question for you was going to be "is it thornless?" And then I saw you put that info in your label for it.

A pure shot in the dark guess for the yellow mini -1991-1-8 - would be Luis Desamero. But really, there are a ton of little yellow minis that fade to nearly white just like that. Buttermint and Dr. K.C.Chan are also roses I used to grow that do that and look kind of like that.

Kathy

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

2000-2-1 unknown miniflora looks like my Focal Point.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy- thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to get better pictures in spring when there is more bloom to photograph. There are a couple problems with the ID of Irene Marie. Our plant is very small, and Irene Marie is a climber, and our plant was in the ground when Irene Marie was introduced. You are the second to see a connection with Playboy, and I think it is likely to be a relative of that rose.

Seil- It certainly looks right. If so, it was planted right next to a three year old plant and never entered into the database at all, both of which seem unlikely, but possible. I wasn't the one in charge at the time. I'll take some close-ups of plant details and add to the file.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming. I'm hoping the person in the park office can find a copy of the database from that time period, and there will be something in it that got dropped before I took over.

Jill

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Well, I've always thought it strange that anyone thought Irene Marie was a climber -- not in my yard it's sure not. Here's the whole plant, after an entire summer of good food, good weather and no pruning -- it has kind of an open habit -- part of which is due to it being mostly in shade in my yard and part of which is just the way it grows. Mine is in a 5 gallon can and tops out at about 30 inches. It never has been taller than that.
    {{gwi:318720}}
    But the canes are not as lax as their thinness would suggest, they are actually rather stiff and upright.
    And my plant is completely thornless on the stems and canes. The only place I could find a thorn to show you was on the backs of the leaf petiole (leaf stem?), and there are only a few of them there on the whole plant (and they nearly microscopic in size). Those tiny petiole thorns also rub off with very little pressure.
    {{gwi:318721}}

Kathy

• cath41
    12 years ago

Your rose #1 looks similar to Mojave or Contessa de Sastago. Both are hybrid teas. These are only guesses as it has been more than 50 years since I have seen Mojave and I don't think that I have ever met the Contessa in person. If you look at HMF look at several iterations of the pictures because they vary a lot. I remember Mojave as having golden reverses like your rose. Some on HMF look like that but many shown on HMF are not like that nor is the description which says "darker reverses".

Cath

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I added another picture of 1991-1-8 to the album and removed those that were identified. It had a perfect blossom the other morning.

Kathy, thanks for the pictures. Our plant of 03-2-2 is no more than a foot high, if that. And it's in the 2003 bed, so it should be a 2003 introduction. Certainly not younger than that.

Jill

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've added more pictures of that orange blend,and the light yellow rose, and several more roses that I'm hoping can be confirmed or denied from the pictures.I've put in the most likely name based on the database. Tomorrow I can pick up a copy of the database from about the time the area was planted, and am hoping to find some useful information.
    Jill

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

That 1991-1-8 looks like my Yantai. Same shape and the thin line of pink on the edge of the petals.

That may be Innocence but it could also be Constellation which looks identical to me. I have been trying to ID a white mini I have too and can not determine which of those two it might be. It's pretty much a toss up.

I have another one that I think could be Fortune Cookie too.
    {{gwi:318722}}
    It's so hard to ID them for sure though unless there is a really distinctive characteristic.

• jill_perry_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It must be Innocence, since I know it was planted in that bed, and Constellation is a newer rose.

We have a plant of Yantai elsewhere, so I can compare them. 1991-1-8 was planted in 1997, but was mislabeled, so it could be anything up until 97.

Thanks for your help,
    Jill