Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ralph Moore's South African OGR

Posted by Alana7bSC 7b-8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 19:10

Does anyone grow this rose? If anyone does tell me what you can about it please. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ralph Moore's South African OGR

I have had this rose in the ground about 3 years, have not seen a bloom (if it is indeed Ralph Moore's SA OGR; there seems to be some question over the name). Will be interested in other comments!

o

Every rose I have seen in commerce labeled as Ralph Moore's South African OGR is NOT the rose it is supposed to be. The rose that is being sold is 'Manetti', a rose that was once widely used as rootstock. Someone must have accidently propagated an old rootstock sucker thinking they were getting RMSAOGR, and that rose has been passed along to customers and nurseries as the named found variety. The photos of RMSAOGR on HMF show a very double deep pink Bourbon, which is what it is supposed to look like, I am told. What we get when we order this rose now is a semi-double pale pink flower with pointy Noisette style buds. Definitely NOT a Bourbon.

Earlier this year, when spring catalogs came out, I notified the nurseries who are selling what they believe to be RMSAOGR, and received assurances that they would correct their catalogs. I had this rose in MY catalog four years ago, not knowing that I bought, planted, and was selling the wrong rose. When I realized the mistake, I notified the purchasers and offered them a replacement or refund.

If you want to order this rose, verify with the nursery that they are indeed propagating and distributing the correct one.

o

Ok everyone thanks so much for the replies.I'm just not going to get it to be safe.

o

Ralph's SA Bourbon is the same as what is sometimes found sold as 'Charles Lawson'. Its very double, well scented, is quite lax, making an umbrella-shaped plant that tends to touch the ground when weighted down with bloom. It blooms for a brief period in the Spring only. It also tends to drop a lot of its foliage when the summer heat comes on, making for a rather unattractive plant. Its nice, but nothing extraordinary, IMO. I still have it somewhere, I think.

o

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INPUT, I'M THINKING OF CHANGING SINCE IT DOESN'T SEEM LIKE IT WILL BE A GREAT ROSE. THANKS SO MUCH NO ROOM FOR DUDS :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here