Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

Big teas and chinas

What would you all say are some of the largest, most lovely teas and Chinas? I know Mrs. BR Cant is said to get huge. I'm looking for something that tops out around 4 ft that's reliable and fragrant.
Any suggestions? It will be planted in front of Felicia and near Parade, Clotilde, The Fairy, Dr. Grill, Marie D'Orleans.
It will also be near a deep purple butterfly bush.
Thanks!
Susan

Comments (17)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I am a little confused by your question - the "largest teas" get 8 ft by 10 ft here - not 4 feet. Sounds as if you really want to know what some of the smaller teas & chinas are?

Jackie

• jerijen
    10 years ago

And it's not that roses in your area don't get big.

I remember being bowled over by the size of Gallicas and Hybrid Musks, when I saw them years ago in the Memphis (TN) botanical garden. And rugosas make a massive hedge, a few miles east of you at The Hermitage.

Jeri

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are correct M'am! ARE discusses some that they keep pruned 4-6 ft. So guess I'm looking for something more squat that lithe. I can relate! lol.
    Baronne Henriette de Snoy? Comtesse du Kayla? G. Nabbanand?
    Your thoughts?
    Susan

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Cels Multifloria is a lovely rose classed as a Tea but very much a China in its thin canes and small leaves. It stayed narrow for me and not taller than 4 1/2 feet after three years, but did not like my dry climate. When there was enough moisture it was gorgeous.

Ingrid

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Ingrid.
    I'm wondering about SDLM. I'm trying to use roses I already have. I have so many that could fill that spot. It looks like the rose I received as Perle des Jardins is actually Dr. Grill. I also have Maggie and Curly Pink and various other non teas that need homes....
    Thanks! Susan

10 years ago

My SdlM is not even 4 feet tall after more than three years, but it's a rose that in my case at least tends to be wider than tall. It is however fragrant and for me blooms almost all the time. In the right climate it can be stellar but in the wrong climate (ask Jeri), it can be dreadful. Cool and foggy it does not like, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Ingrid

Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I will put SDLM there...I've really tried to focus on fragrant roses and putting the most fragrant closest to my seating areas...but there are only so many areas. And I need my Austins in morning sun which means they will be further from my sitting area. Guess I will have to get off my fanny and do a daily fragrance walk. Ha.
    I finally noticed a fragrance on Perle d'Or yesterday. Wonder if it is the cooler temps?
    I am hoping you have a rainy fall and winter. I am hoping your drought worries will ease.
    Susan

10 years ago

Thank you Susan. It rained yesterday afternoon and evening and we got .83 inches! That's enough for a good drenching which will really benefit the stressed trees and should encourage the roses into a nice fall flush. I am one happy girl.

Ingrid

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

I've grown or cared for dozens of different Tea rose cultivars and although I can detect smell in Tea roses, there are very few I would describe as being very fragrant, and that in the best of conditions.
    These are they:
    'Etoile de Lyon' described as having a "delicious scent" by one author. Its' scent reminds me of honeysuckle. We keep it espaliered to c. 5 and 1/2 feet tall by 6 feet wide, by c. 3 feet from front to back.
    'Comtesse Emmeline de Guigne' 4-5'
    scent: of ripe plum and apricot fruit with mixed floral.
    Westside Road Cream Tea' a wonderful white Tea, it matures to c. 4 and 1/2 feet tall and of all Tea roses has the most dependable scent, which I would rate as 5 out of 10. I really love the scent of this rose.
    Rogue valley rose nursery sells it. It is a "lost and found" rose, that was found by Phillip Robinson of vintagegardens.com in Northern California. It is far more resistant to p.m. than Ducher was in my no-spray garden.
    For a Damask scent (the scent one expects from a red modern rose) I suggest a Tea-Hybrid; Mlle. Cecille Brunner' which is a cross between an Old Garden Tea and a Polyantha. Easily kept to 4 and 1/2 feet tall by c. 3 and 1/2 feet wide. It is a very pretty pink rose with small but perfectly shaped blossoms.
    Spray Cecille Brunner' can be used as a hedge, of 3-4 feet tall by 2 feet wide, by c. 6 feet long and it has a longer bloom cycle than the original form of M.C.B. or its climbing forms. A neighbor of mine has made a hedge border from one 'Spray Cecille Brunner and I love walking by and inhaling the rosy perfume from it. .

Lux

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lux. I have a couple of Spray Cecille and simply Cecille. I also have Etoile de Lyon...
    What about Perle d'Or? Do you think that would work as a small hedge?
    Susan

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Susan, I think Perle d'Or would make a great hedge -- but when you say "small" how "small" do you mean?

These old, very mature Perle d'Ors in the Sacramento City Cemetery were at least 6 ft. tall. You don't want too be whacking them back all the time.

Jeri

Original Author
    10 years ago

Dear Lord that is gorgeous! Jeri, since I am new to teas and chinas, I'm wondering if the fact that I get freezes here will affect growth?
    I've read in some of the ARE books that some monster teas can be kept at 4-6 feet. I figure my butterfly bush is 8 feet tall so something 6 ft would be okay.
    I have 3 Perle d'Or...they are the sweetest rose.
    Also, my Mme Berkley has finally bloomed...gorgeous.
    I'm a sucker for quilling...
    Susan

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Well, they get a little freezing weather in Sacramento -- but I guess the only way you'll know is to try it.

Jeri

• subk3
    10 years ago

Ann Peck might be a good resource for tea sizes around here. I think she has written about what sizes she's getting in her 6b zone. A search or just an email to her might might work. If you find anything please link it/report it. I'd love to see what her expereince has been as well!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do! Thanks again you all. And yes Jeri, you are right. I think it was Gean who said, just because you bought it doesn't mean you have to plant it! LOL
    Don't know why I am so hesitant to experiment.
    Susan

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    10 years ago

Susan, I was not sure exactly what you were looking for, so waited to chime in.

I used to live in Nashville, and we have similar climates.

The roses that are not monsters to me, and i keep at under about 6 foot are Ducher, SDLM, Perle d' Or, Spice, Thomas Affleck, Maggie

There are a couple of others, but I will look up their spelling. I have had bad luck with Mrs. B.R. Cant.

I also like Le Vesuve. Will write more later.

Sammy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sammy for chiming in! I have Ducher (band) Perle d'Or (3 in gallons) and Maggie (band). SDLM is on order.
    I'm SO glad to know they did well for you here. I've been thinking about Le Vesuve, seems so pretty. Thought it might look nice with Comtesse du Cayla.
    I've read enough here about Mrs. B.R...I just don't have the room to grow her.
    Clementina Carbonieri has always appealed to me.
    Susan