Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Charles Rennie Macintosh

Alana8aSC
9 years ago

Hey does anyone grow this rose? I would love to know about it? What color do the blooms lean towards? Any information would be helpful! Thanks.

Comments (15)

• odinthor
    9 years ago

I had one for several years. Its blossoms were a lilac-toned pink, the plant bloomed a lot, and I quite liked it . . . except I could never get the leaves to stop looking somewhat chlorotic, which distressed me enough that I eventually replaced it with another rose (an 'Occhi di Fata' happily resides on its site now). I don't know if CRM's problem was the soil, the plant itself, or a combination. I'd be inclined to try the variety again some day, as I liked its personality.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ! I may try it! I was thinking of trying Occi di fata aswell, RU has both. How do you like your ODF odinthor? Does anyone have pictures of CRM and in what conditions was she in, full sun, part shade ect.

This post was edited by Alana7bSC on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 8:42

• odinthor
    9 years ago

I very much like ODF. Its white, when it opens, is a beautiful crystalline sparkly white; and then the colors it turns (rose-pink, crimson) are beautiful as well. The leaves are a beautiful dark green. The plant definitely has the stiff and upright look of a modern rose; and so no Old Rose gracefulness there. But, allowing that, which is only the characteristic of its era, I think 'Occhi di Fata' comes pretty darn close to perfection.

• john_ca
    9 years ago

I am presently growing CRM. It started as an own root plant from Chamblees and has been in the ground for over 4 years. I am not seing the chlorotic growth described by Brent; the foliage is a medium green color. The flowers are usually in the 3.5 to 4 inch range and are quite fragrant. It seems to be improving with time. Its a keeper for me.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Pink, fragrant with an unusual scent (baby powder? soap?). Pretty healthy - I saw a little PM, not much. Particularly wicked thorns, IMO. Bloomed especially well in the hot days when most roses shut down.

Rosefolly

• organicgardendreams
    9 years ago

Hi Alana, a few years ago I got 'Charles Rennie Mackintosh' own roots from Heirloom Roses and I am growing it in a container ever since (it will go into the ground eventually though ;-)!).

I have to say I love this rose! Not only for the a little unusual pink-lilac color of the blooms, but also for the very cupped full flower shape. To me this is an especially charming rose, that I would recommend to everyone to at least try out. Growing in a pot mine didn't show any signs of being chlorotic so far.

Since images always say more than thousand words, I put in a link to one of my blog posts, where I published some photos of this rose. If you use the search function of the blog you can find more pics of it, but the ones in the link below are the most typical.

Hope you go for this lovely rose!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Charles Rennie Mackintosh photos

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone and for the pictures as well. I'm trying to see if it's more pink or lilac, maybe it depends on climate. How big does she generally get? I still think I will try her and Occhi di fata as well. Will have to wait and see if I am able to get them in the new year :) Thanks to you all for your help.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It's a cool pink. Very photogenic. Not overly vigorous. Somewhat floppy. No fragrance here. I like it, but it's not in my top 10.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Well, I've been enabled by all the positive comments to order this rose. It's replacing Yves Piaget which I bought at a local nursery and has turned out to be a very poor plant. This is my second try at Yves Piaget and I decided on obtaining CRM instead because I've always admired the color and "old rose" look. I'm not enamored by its myrhh scent or thorniness, but no rose is perfect. I'm very much looking forward to seeing its blooms, although that may not be until spring.

Ingrid

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

Love love love the lilac coloured blooms. Can't stand the fragrance, so unfortunately he's outa here.

9 years ago

So naturally I have to ask, assuming you see this hoovb, what are your top ten? Since your climate is not dissimilar, although not as harsh, that would be useful knowledge.

Ingrid

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Here's my picture of the one at the Huntington from late Oct. this year. The leaves are a little on the light side but all things considered, I think this is a good late season performance for a DA rose in So CA.

9 years ago

Thanks for the pic, Kitty. It gives a very good idea of what to expect and I'm impressed by the number of flowers. I do like the lilac pink tone very much.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

top ten ingrid? austins? pinks? roses? ;^)