Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drhuey

A most underrated climbing tea

16 years ago

I purchased Mme Jules Gravereaux five years ago after seeing her photograph in Botanica's Roses. She has taken some time to become established but her spring flush this year has been quite spectacular. The history of this rose in Australia is interesting. She was sold in at least a couple of nurseries shortly after her release by Soupert & Notting (Luxembourg) in 1901. However none seemed to survive and she was unavailable in this country for 90 years. Mme Jules Gravereaux was re-introduced into Australia some years ago from New Zealand where this rose had continued to flourish.

I also read somewhere that in the few years after 1901 in London blooms of Mme Jules Gravereaux grown in glasshouses sold for a shilling per bloom (about US$11.00 today)

I wonder whether this rose sold by one or two nurseries in the U.S. is in fact the original Mme Jules. She has a rich apricot centre and lighter peach-coloured outer petals not the bright pink blooms shown in U.S.nursery photographs.

Brenton

{{gwi:222144}}

Comments (26)

• 16 years ago

Brenton,
    Graham Stuart Thomas of the UK described the color of Mme Jules Gravereaux exactly as exhibited in your photo ... "apricot coloring with lighter and darker tints in the shapely flowers."

Great looking rose you have there.

Randy

• 16 years ago

How large is she for you? Does she drop her petals cleanly? What kind of disease issues does she have? And does any US retailer have this yellowy-apricot Jules? This is a rose I'm interested in possibly getting...

Anne-Lise

• 16 years ago

Gorgeous rose.

Jerome

• 16 years ago

That's a lovely rose.

• 16 years ago

I'm happy I picked up this rose a couple weeks ago!
    robert

• 16 years ago

Mine is deffinately pink not at all peachy. Perhaps what we have here is not the true rose.

• 16 years ago

Yes, that's a beauty! Now, where can we get one??? Brandy

• 16 years ago

Yes, that's a beauty! Now, where can we get one??? Brandy

Me too!!!

• 16 years ago

What a beauty.

• 16 years ago

Wow!!!!! Gorgeous!!!!

• 16 years ago

I didn't think the foliage looked particularly tea-like; checked HelpMeFind.com and the given parents are a tea-noisette ('Reve d'Or') and a hybrid tea, which makes sense. Both Sequoia and Rogue Valley have this listed as an apricot or apricot blend rose, and RV has a picture. RV also seems to indicate that it's synonymous with "Miss Atwood" (the Bermuda mystery rose), but it's hard to tell if that's true from the pictures.

Which U.S. catalogs have it looking so very pink?

• 16 years ago

The photo in the Vintage catalog is pretty pink.

• 16 years ago

I believe that picture is the same one that they list as Miss Atwood on their website. I expect they do not have one of their MJG yet. In the 'Book of Roses' they mention that they now have the correct MJG that climbs and is amber apricot in color.

• 16 years ago

The MJG that I bought from Vintage this year is tinged pink - not apricot.
    Man I wish it looked like the picture that Brenton posted!
    I could post a picture of a bloom if y'all want to compare.
    Carrie

• 16 years ago

Yes, please do. I'm getting ready to make a purchase within the next couple of days, and this is one of my final contenders. Has anyone gotten one of the apricot MJV's here in the US? The picture on Rogue Valley's website looked awfully pink, and the one that was at Roses Unlimited has died but wasn't particularly recommended by them. Pat said, however, that they had the pink version. This is one I'd love to get my hands on.

• 16 years ago

I just came across this thread after commenting on this rose in another about Miss Atwood. I have both (at least in name) but I believe that you are right in saying that what is known as Mme. Jules Gravereaux in Europe and Asia is not the same as that sold in the US. I have the Roses Unlimited version which was new to me this season so I can't comment on the bloom yet but the photos in the US catalogs are decidedly pink. Botanica and the ARS Encyclopedia of Roses (both with British editors) show it as a distinct apricot blend with buff yellow and pink tones. Your photo makes us in the US lust after that version! It seems to be fairly readily available in Europe, and HMF lists a couple of vendors in NZ and Australia. I came across a wonderful blog site from Japan that has incredible photos of many roses, and quite a few of this one, again with the apricot tones.
    Here is the URL if you care to check it out. Scroll down to the date 5/25/2006 to find it. Luckily rose names don't need translation!

On the subject of whether Miss Atwood and MJG are the same, please check out the Miss Atwood thread where I posted the differences I see in mine with a photo. There seems to be complete confusion in the trade, at least in the US. I don't even know if my Miss Atwood is true to the original Bermuda rose by that name. Hopefully Vintage or Ashdown can help import the correct MJG to the US, we really want this rose!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose blog from Japan

• 16 years ago

Anne-Lise
    I'm so sorry,
    I didn't realize that you responded to this thread. My sister was in the hospital that weekend and things were crazy around here. She is OK, but the bloom is gone.
    I can say with certainty, though, that the rose I got from Vintage is not apricot. I know roses have darker and lighter hues, depending on the weather, but this is the time of year that apricots are intensified in my garden, and MJG was not apricot.

• 16 years ago

dr,huey, is the foliage as healthy as it appears? or do you spray regularly?
    Your apricot cl. "Mme. Jules Gravereaux" is a blessed rose of special and magnificent quality.
    To those of us who live in the United States, could we start an informal petition to an Old Rose nursery to bring this magnificent apricot cl. Tea into commerce in the United States? I believe it would sell well because,
    -there are very fewer yellow and yellow blend Tea roses.
    -there are fewer climbing roses available than bush roses.
    -and omigod it is worthy of all superlatives.

Luxrosa
    Or could we start a collective to share the costs to import one, and quarentine it, then give cuttings to those in the collective, and also heritage rose nurseries?

• 16 years ago

Hey...I'll join in on that one!

Mari

• 16 years ago

I imported one of these about 10 years ago from Peter Beales in the UK and it is the apricot color shown in the picture. For me, its a modest climber, with a great spring flush and not much afterwards but its definitely apricot and not pink.

• 16 years ago

Mbundick, how do your other teas bloom for you? I'm wondering if a more southern climate would lengthen the blooming time...I'm definitely agonizing over my looming rose purchase.

And Carrie, dont' worry about your response time. I'm sorry to hear about your sister but am glad that things seem to be doing better. Hopefully they'll continue to do so.

• 16 years ago

OK, I think I've got this rose straightened out in my mind, thanks goes to Gregg at Vintage for the info. Here is his response to my e-mail about the confusion we've been having:

Dear Linda,

I suppose the explanation is not so easy to read from the lines of our catalogue, and some of it (description of the true Climbing Mme. Jules Gravereaux) is not in our online catalogue yet.

But here is what we have observed after growing the three roses for about 10 to 20 years.

Miss Atwood is one of the Bermuda mystery roses; the mystery name refers to a gardener in Bermuda.

Peter Beales nursery has long sold a rose that is identical to Miss Atwood under the name Mme. Jules Gravereaux. That variety however was a climber, not a pure Tea rose, and the real rose by that name does grow in several British gardens correctly named. Beales Mme Jules Gravereaux is a true Tea rose, much softer in tone, a rose pink tinted with peach and apricot, and sometimes rather nicely warm in color. Often a pale rose pink, though.

Mme. Jules Gravereaux, the climber, is a hybrid tea, usually called a Tea rose because it takes after its Tea rose parent in looks. It is a soft apricot, sometimes glowing and almost golden. YouÂll see a number of photos of it on HelpMeFindRoses.com

We grow all three of these, and offer them through our catalogue, and have had all three in our catalogue for two years now.

I hope this makes clear what we have tried to say in few words in our catalogue. Of course our observations may not agree with those of other rosarians and we have no problem with that. All that I can do is tell you what we have observed and the conclusions we have drawn.

Thanks,
    Gregg

And thank YOU again Gregg! So I guess that explains it. I for one will be ordering it for 2008!

• 16 years ago

Yippee! Thank you Gregg, for selling Old Roses.

Luxrosa

• 16 years ago

Wow, thank you Linda for finding all this out. And thanks Gregg for growing all of them! I feel an order coming on...

• 16 years ago

When I went to Vintage's website I couldn't find the apricot climber we've all been discussing. I e-mailed them asking how to get it, and here was the response I got from them:

Dear Anne-Lise,
    We do have that rose in stock but it is not listed on our website as we are in the process of updating our collection to include all of the new varieties we have acquired over the past few years. We have had terrible problems with our web providers and to make a long story short, we have been trying to add these new varieties for two years now! The rose has great rebloom as most of the Climbing Teas do and as the other Teas, it may be prone to mildew in wet springs but very healthy beyond that. If you want to place an order for just that rose, you will have to send me an email to start the order. If you want to order others along with that one, you can place your order on line and then write a note that you want to add that rose as well.
    Thank you,
    Gita Phy

Since I've just ordered 9 roses (with very limited space), I might have to hold off at least until spring, but thought others may want to know.

• 16 years ago

Yes Anne-Lise, it's not on the website yet, just in the print catalog as I understand it. I haven't updated my print copy in a couple of years. Somehow cyberspace just doesn't want to mingle with our antiques! I just had a discussion yesterday with my 14 year old daughter about the "Big Bang theory" - and I'm more confused (and facinated) than ever about the cosmos, a wonder and an enigma. Anyhoo I digress.

I'm glad there are places like Vintage out there that really care about these old roses, their origin and true names. I'm in deep gratitude to those who preserve what is our heritage. Hopefully Vintage will have enough stock to supply us all!