Original Author
    9 years ago

The Comtesse

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

lovely lovely stuff!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Radio Times seems to be a very pretty rose and a good bloomer, but is it really as prickly as everyone says?

I also have Comtesse Delabarthe, which is known as Duchesse de Brabant here, but it's new and I can't wait to have it bloom. This is my third try and I hope it will prove to be a success. I'd love to see yours when it's in full bloom.

Ingrid

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Radio Times is prickly, but I think all the Austins are. I will try to get a shot of the stems.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

My Duchesse de Brabant is blooming now, and has been blooming since last Spring - at I'd say about 20-30 % of its Spring flush. It is about 7 years old (it is a rooted cutting of an ancient one from our garden), and about 6-7 feet tall. I don't do anything to it. It is not on our automatic irrigation system, so only got water since last March occasionally when I remembered to turn the hose on it. I love that the blooms vary in color and number of petals, depending on the weather. This is one of the best roses in my garden.

Jackie

9 years ago

Radio Times seems like a very pretty rose and not as prickly as Glamis Castle, a rose I really hated. RT seems bushy and lax, not upright and gangly like GC which was armed to the teeth and smelled horrible as well. I was never so glad to get rid of a rose.

Duchesse de Brabant to me is one of the most beautiful and romantic of the teas and a great treasure. Adam, I hope yours doesn't get overwhelmed by the bougainvilla (sp?), another spiny monster although it can be so beautiful.

Ingrid

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ingrid, You can't see from the pic, but the rose is in a diferent bed to the Boug, which I keep hacked back as a shrub anyway.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Radio Times mid-flush

9 years ago

Oh my, what a beautiful thing that is! I don't think Radio Times gets enough press; I had no idea it was so gorgeous. It seems to really love your garden, Adam.

Ingrid

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

close-up

• michaelg
    9 years ago

The best thing about 'Radio Times' is its powerful fragrance--truly outstanding. It's also a good bloomer. The thorns are super-sharp and something of a nuisance. My plant was not bushy like Adam's, but produced long, sprawling canes. After a few more years of pruning, it might or might not have made a nice plant, but I lost mine to rosette disease after three or four years. It was fully susceptible to blackspot.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankfully mine doesnâÂÂt blackspot, but it does mildew in damp, cool weather. Mine also threw out "ocopus canes", but I have discovered that cutting long-stem flowers keeps it in check and encourages more blooms.

Here is a pic of this morningâÂÂs harvest. There is a trick to picking though. I need to wait until the first bloom in the spray has faded. Buy this time, the remaining 2-4 are just about ready to open and be cut.

• floweryearth
    9 years ago

Adam, I am very happy I happened to come across this post. Very beautiful pics. When I was a teen in Florida, this was the first rose I grew. A birthday gift from my dad -- it was stellar and I fell in love with old fashioned roses. Yes, it is very thorny... but its frequent rebloom, form, and fragrance more then compensate. Enjoy! :)

9 years ago

What a beautiful cut rose this makes! It must have very much of an old rose look in a vase, and the buds and flowers are equally pretty. Add fragrance, and it adds up to being a very desirable rose. Thanks for the lovely pics, Adam.

Ingrid

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My partners mother and sister have come to stay with us so I cut a big bouquet for the sitting room. They were amazed by the scent, which has them craving Turkish delight.

9 years ago

Be still, my heart. That is the most decadently luscious arrangement ever. I don't think I have a single rose that can duplicate that look.

Ingrid