Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annesfbay

White crud on leaves

annesfbay
9 years ago

Hello again,

Another question. Please note the white, mineral deposit looking stuff on Grandmothers Hat leaves. This has also shown up on Rugosa Alba leaves. It doesn't look like powdery mildew to me. It only shows up on brown, burnished looking leaves. I am in drought ridden CA. Only 8 inches of rain the past two years but with some fog. For some reason what comes to my mind is the plants don't like the hose water. It doesn't seem to effect the plants health, but I'm curious. Any thoughts?

Thank you, Anne

Comments (9)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

To begin with, you have what I have -- a buildup of mineral salts that gives you that brown, necrotic area at the leaf edge, with a rim of white. We've had less rain than you, even, and I suspect our water is suckier, too.

The white looks like powdery mildew from here, but there's just not enough detail to be sure. I suppose it could even be minerals, perhaps left as residue from hose water???

I don't suppose you have a flat bed scanner??? If you DO, put the bad leaf/leaves in the scanner at high resolution. I do that all the time, for a perfect image.

• annesfbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm. I don't have a scanner. Thank you for the info on the brown edges and build up of mineral salts. That cinches it for me. In person you can tell it's not powdery mildew. I think some roses are prob more susceptible to mineral buildup from hard water. At least, that's what I'm going with :-)

Thank you, Anne

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Anne, my Gramhats here certainly have that issue. But then, so do most of my other roses, as well.

I think that is a factor in the leaf-drop we've had here on many roses. In addition to heat-stress, the leaves were just SO bad, they fell off. New foliage coming back in is lovely.

I know this winter won't bring us "drought-busting" rain. I'd be grateful, though, for just enough rain to dilute all of that mineral build-up in the soil.

'Lady Ann Kidwell' was among the first to drop her foliage. She's got all new leaves now, and is just finishing a huge flush of bloom.

• annesfbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it seems I don't have it as bad as you because I've had no leaf drop. Although the plants with sad foliage prob would've been happier if they had--lol! The new foliage on GH some of the loveliest in my garden. Beautiful fresh growth on your LAK. I've become as much of a fan of beautiful leaves as petals, I must say :-)

Anne

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Anne, I am also as drawn by perfect foliage as I am by perfect blooms . . .

I went out deadheading this morning, and found a Grandmother's Hat that has NOT dropped any foliage -- but which SHOULD. It's in a great deal of shade, so protected from the scorching sun -- but THERE, I found some of your white "crud," and I'm quite sure it's minerals.

Ignore the leaf miner, :-) and just look at the bad leaves.

If I am bored one day, I may go out and defoliate this rose.

Jeri

• annesfbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that's it exactly.

Anne

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Agreed, mineral salts. I get it here, too.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Our water is SO bad that, even in a normal-rain-year, we see some of this by late Fall. It's hardly surprising, in a water-environment where water heaters are destroyed before their time because of waterborne minerals -- and plumbers complain that low-flow toilets in this area are a recipe for disaster.

In normal years, a lot of the stuff is flushed out of beds and plants during winter rains. Only, we got almost no rain last year, and very little the year before -- so the mineral build up is worse than I've ever seen it.

Jeri

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I hadn't noticed until now but when I read this I took a better look and sure enough La France, SdlM and Heirloom had it. My area must not be as bad or it's not as noticeable since I try to dislodge the old, bad-looking leaves with a strong stream of water. I'm also hopeful that we'll have enough rain to at least leach some of the minerals out of the soil.

Ingrid

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths