Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

Strawberry Hill

boncrow66
9 years ago

I noticed on Chamblees website that they now have DA's Strawberry Hill. I would love to hear what other posters experience with this rose has been and would like to know about it's growth habit, rebloom, etc. thanks in advance. Any info I can have will help me choose roses for next spring when I take my trip to Chamblees.

Comments (24)

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Due to absolutely no response I am going to assume no one has anything to say about this rose.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Did you do a search in the box at the bottom of the Index page? I know I have seen Strawberry Hill mentioned in past posts--at least occasionally. I don't grow it so I can't help you, but DA's description of it does sound tempting, doesn't it.

Kate

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

I haven't been on in a while, but this rose is stunningly beautiful in a client's garden. Color and form take my breath away. Lovely fragrance and good repeat as well. -jannike

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

I noted from old posts that it's a thorney one that throws octopus canes. Some pictures at HMF are gorgeous. I want it!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    9 years ago

I saw one of the old links here: Strawberry Hill or Heritage?

I did some researches earlier for my 2015 order and its average bloom diameter is 4.75", excellent as cut flower and blooms often. A beautiful David Austin rose that is big, blooms often and can be used as cut flower? I'm sold. It is on my order list.

I like the looks of David Austin roses but many of them have small or average bloom size and the blooms shatter fast. I always wonder if they intentionally keep all their big bloom and long lasting vase life roses in their line of luxury cut roses.

This post was edited by bayarea-girl on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 19:28

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate, I did look at old threads and there isn't really a whole lot said about SH but what is said is all positive.
    Sowwhat you also stated in another thread about SH how much you liked it in your clients so I can't argue with stunningly beautiful and breathtaking, that's all I need to hear, thanks:).
    Iris, I want it too!
    Bay-area girl, I have Evelyn that I planted this past spring and I love her! Her blooms are big and gorgeous and last for days on the bush and also makes a good cut flower and she smells delicious, although it took me a while to be able to smell her. She has thrown some octopus arms but I just trim them back and I am looking forward to her maturing into a full rose bush.

Ok I am going to go for it and add SH to my permanent list for next spring, she is too tempting to pass up.

I forgot to add that I have Heritage too and I love her pretty pink blooms and her fragrance is nice but the blooms do shatter quickly.

Her is a pic of Evelyn

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I was at Chamblees last week [twice] and saw Strawberry Hill and wanted it, but I had so many others, I figured it was new and I could get it in spring. One of the plants had a bloom and it was very pretty but so was the Alnwick Rose - they looked similar. I have heard good things about that one too - would like to find a place for both. I had so many that I bought that need to find a spot that just didn't think I needed 2 more similar pinks. They were very pretty and I would think it would be well worth trying if you have a spot for it.

While I am commenting, would like to put in a good word for Tess of the d'Ubervilles, which I rarely hear anything about. I have had mine for a number of years, at least 5, and it is on a big fan trellis. Its thorny, but it is healthy and puts out lots of blooms. A very good rose, very striking when in bloom. Also love Carding Mill, bought another one of those.
    Judith

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Judith I'm so glad you were able to visit Chamblees recently, I'm jealous lol. I can't wait for my trip next spring. I like both strawberry hill and Alnwick and if I have room will get both but if I have to choose between the two I would probably choose SH. You have mentioned your Tess before and I plan on adding her to my garden as soon as my hubbies new shop is finished so I will have more room for climbers. I would love to see a picture of your Tess! Also how did the bargain area at Chamblees look?

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Great rose with a sensational perfume. Has a tendency to be a bit gangly though, so plant it at the back of the bed with some shorter plants up front so the canes dont arch over your walkways. I think it has the nicest foliage of any rose, very glossy and almost tropical looking.

This post was edited by adamharbeck on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 21:47

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

I should mention that a great Austin rose to plant in front of SH would be Radio Times. I had originally planted mine side by side, not realising the form Strawberry hill would take. After it started throwing vicious canes over the footpath, I tried cutting it down hard but it will not give up its strongly upright form, so it had to go from that spot. Last autumn I purchased a new SH plant which is quickly establishing itself now at the back of the patch and already producing harvestable sprays.

Radio Times however responds well to hard pruning and is now a nice balled shape and dripping with buds. Radio Times looks good and lasts well when cut, with a strong and pervasive old rose perfume very different to the incense-like perfume of Strawberry Hill. It is however apparently (according to David Austin) only really suitable for dry and Mediterranean/Californian climates. It has been practically problem free for me here.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adam thanks for the great info and the gorgeous pics! Radio times is soo beautiful. Glad to know SH can be kinda gangly, I was going to put it in a spot where it would be up front and now may have to rethink my plan.

• Adrianne
    9 years ago

Boncrow,
    I had a similar experience about a month ago when I was considering SH-- couldn't really get a read on the performance, doesn't seem like many folks are growing it?
    I have one on order from Roses Unlimited for the spring and plan to grow it as a climber next to Jude the Obscure.
    I suppose you and I should make a point and report our experiences ;)

Alameda, good to hear about Tess! That's one I was really struggling with trying to decide between her and couple other red climbers. Just put one in the ground from Chamblees last month, and I am very much looking forward to next Spring!
    Adrianne :-D

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Adrianne, hope you enjoy your Tess. Cant wait for mine to bloom in the spring - I think you will really like it.

I was at Chamblees the other day and bought, among other roses, a Strawberry Hill and an Alnwick Rose. I think I am going to have to give Strawberry Hill room to spread out - have been trying to find out more about this rose, but not much said except for the fact that it sprawls and has octopus arms. I plan to put it next to a fence so it can become a climber if it wants and stretch out as much as it likes. If anyone has bush photos, that would be really helpful - would appreciate any comments on this rose. Thanks!
    Judith

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Alameda, my client doesn't prune his Strawberry Hill, and it does have gangly, arching canes. But the scent is delicious, the blooms are large and have an incredibly beautiful form as well as a gorgeous complex color. I would rank it among my top five roses, with a warning to make sure you can handle the size. I'll take a picture for you when I'm healed and back to work, but I have no idea yet when that will be.

. . . . .
    The gardens at Humpty Dumpty House are temporarily closed. Please visit Humpty Dumpty House on facebook. If you like what we do, please give us a page "like". This simple act can help us get the gardens and our work back up and running during my absence due to an injury. ~Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/HumptyDumptyHouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook Page for Humpty Dumpty House

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Forgive the bad lighting, but here is a pic of my new SH that has been in the ground for about 10 months.
    It is already developing an identical form to my old plant, with long arching canes arising from the base to give a vase shape.
    Adam

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Forgive the bad lighting, but here is a pic of my new SH that has been in the ground for about 10 months.
    It is already developing an identical form to my old plant, with long arching canes arising from the base to give a vase shape.
    Adam

{{gwi:2121063}}

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

On one of the many rose and gardening facebook groups, there is a gentleman that grows SH in England. The pictures of the flowers are incredible. I wanted it until I heard how its growth habit was here. Let us know how the rose works here. Can't wait to see pictures.

• haku84_zone9
    4 years ago

Any updates or pictures on SH?

• haku84_zone9
    4 years ago

Thank you Bayarea_Girl, is SH a fast rebloomer for you? Does she like the heat or shade?

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Haku, SH is a fast rebloomer and very healthy in my garden. Helen

• berrypiez6b
    4 years ago

On HMF the column that rates shade tolerance convinced me Strawberry Hill would do well in a shady spot, but it didn't do all that great the first year. I wish I had a sunnier location to plant her, the blooms are large and incredibly beautiful. On Hedgerowrose website there is a good write up on Strawberry Hill.

• Cecilia Eastwood
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Strawberry Hill is a climbing rose, which is why she throws out long canes. i have not read any mention of this in these posts so don’t know if this is understood. I have seen her written up by some online nurserys as being only 4ft tall, so misunderstandings obviously will occur. The David Austen bred rose is described on the David Austen website as a short 3 metre climber. The photos on the website show her growing up and over arbors etc. Therefore a good idea to train her and ideally put her somewhere at the back of a border or somewhere else she can be encouraged to climb. She prefers full sun (morning sun best around 5-6 hours per day in the growing season) , and flowers prolifically.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area