Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

After The Rain, and a Little Something Extra

It wasn't really much rain, but around here we'll take anything we can get and call it good. I think the roses appreciated it too.

{{gwi:319759}}

Cels Multifloria, hanging its head(s)

{{gwi:319760}}

Duchesse de Brabant

{{gwi:319761}}

Apoline

{{gwi:319762}}

Le Vesuve

{{gwi:319763}}

William R. Smith

{{gwi:319764}}

Belinda's Dream

{{gwi:319765}}

Yves Piaget

{{gwi:319767}}

Souvenir de la Malmaison

{{gwi:319769}}

Reblooming Irises in late October

{{gwi:319771}}

A gathering of roses

{{gwi:319772}}

I love these roses

Ingrid

Comments (14)

• cath41
    12 years ago

I do too. Can you identify them for us?

Cath

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Ingrid - that was a feast for my eyes - very delightful. I love it. Your Yves Piaget and Apoline are incredibly beautiful - and your cut flowers are to die for. I'm so excited that I'll go ahead with making a full sun garden for new roses in the front - that is, after the rain ends here. Many thanks for posting those delicious pics.

• cath41
    12 years ago

Ingrid,

Oops. I mean the cut flowers. You already kindly identified the growing roses.

Cath

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Lovely blooms, Ingrid, and the bouquet is beautiful!

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

Remember that old song "Favorite Things"? The first line is "Raindrops on roses" How pretty!

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I am firmly convinced that roses get much more benefit from natural rainfall than from irrigation. Every time I see roses after rainfall, this impression is reinforced. Your roses look beautiful -- and happy.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    12 years ago

William R Smith sure looks yummy. I love the Iris too!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cath, I knew what you meant and I should have included that information. In the first picture in the bottom middle and just above slightly to the right are William R. Smith. The large rose above it is Souvenir de la Malmaison. The left bottom and top buds are Mrs. Dudley Cross. On the lower right is Souvenir d'un Ami.

In the second picture the large rose in the middle and the bud below it are one of my favorite roses, the Austin St. Elizabeth. To the left and below it is Mrs. B.R. Cant and above it is Souvenir d'un Ami. The "ears" sticking out on either side are Mrs. Dudley Cross buds again. I can't wait for them to open up further.

Strawberry Hill, I'm thrilled that these pictures inspired you to have a front rose garden. My only small suggestion would be to incorporate companion plants such as irises and daylilies and other perennials that grow well for you for contrast with the roses. I'm sure it will look spectacular. Please keep us posted on your plans.

Thank you seil and Pam, so glad you enjoyed the pictures.

rosefolly, I couldn't agree more. I swear the roses know the difference between the "real thing" and irrigation water. I'm hoping they'll get to experience a lot more of the good stuff. I noticed that my roses really started to put on growth after the winter and spring rains of the last season.

Thank for for all your kind comments.

Ingrid

• jerome
    12 years ago

Very beautiful photographs. William R. Smith is a great rose. They all are, but WRS is a particular favorite

• lesmc
    12 years ago

Just beautiful...Love your bouquets,too! Lesley

• User
    12 years ago

OH dear. That sure is a sumptuous SdlM bloom. Mine was such a black spot disaster, I wasn't all that sad when it grew backward and disappeared. BUT I could get another, put it in a pot and protect it from rain so the leaves stay dry all the time .... why oh why do I look at these pictures. So tempting. No no no. I swore I would wait until I could find a Madame Cornelissen somewhere. But that sure is a sumptuous SdlM bloom ....

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

What beautiful bouquets. The blooms are so sumptuous.

Lovely pics, Ingrid. The raindrops look so refreshing.

• gardennatlanta
    12 years ago

Ingrid, Thanks for sharing your pictures. All your roses look great. I have a very young William R. Smith that hasn't bloomed yet. I appreciate the inspiration from your photographs.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Wow they are gorgeous. Love roses or any flowers with the glistening drops of rain. I agree, the roses do seem to love the rain much better than our water from the tap. Now when it warms up I gotta go fix me a bouquet from the slim pickings I have left. Thanks for sharing, Judy