Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Bush Shots for the Interested - Second Try

Posted by ingrid_vc Z10 SoCal (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 22:43

Hopefully the pictures will show up this time. My fingers are tightly crossed.

Tiny bush with a huge, fragrant flower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Bush Shots for the Interested - Second Try

La France

Le Vesuve

Westside Road Cream Tea

Souvenir d'un Ami

William R. Smith, still a young rose

o
RE: RE: Rose Bush Shots for the Interested - Second Try

Souvenir de Pierre de St. Germain, leaning drunkenly into Sophy's Rose

Mme. Dore with surrounding rodent protection

Belinda's Dream, about a year old from a gallon plant

Miss Atkins - two years old and I've already had to trim her twice!

A very juvenile Cl. Lady Hillingdon, but seemingly happy

o
RE: RE: RE: Rose Bush Shots for the Interested - Second Try

Leveson-Gower - a slow grower but lovely nonetheless

Mutabilis against the house wall making a comeback after a drastic haircut about a month ago

Sea Mist aka Lavender Mist - pretty flowers and delicate foliage

Overall bush shots

The lanky Yves Piaget - only tolerated because of the gorgeous flowers

Cels Multiflora, a tall and thin bush

A better view of Cels Multiflora's lovely flowers

Marie Pavie, tiny but cute

o

Very pretty. Thanks for posting. Belinda's Dream was very interesting because I also have this one, but in a totally different climate. She looks very happy in your garden.I noticed a few leaves with some brown yellow at the tip. Apparently that is Belinda's habit because mine sometimes does that too for no particular reason.

o

Very nice! Living in Texas, I absolutely have to whine about our horrendous hot summers in order to keep sane, but don't have some of the challenges y'all have with moles and voles, soil, etc., and am certainly impressed with what you have been able to accomplish!

o

I really appreciate the bush shots. It makes such a difference when you can see the habit and shape of the bush! All of your roses are beautiful, but Le Vesuve is really showy. Thank you for taking the time to reload all of these photos for us.
Renee

o

Ingrid, As usual, your roses are beautiful. I really appreciate when folks take a step or two back and take a picture of the entire bush--not that I don't like the one amazing blooms shots as well :)

After the thoughts or "wow", came the thoughts of "Oh, no! I was told West Side Road Cream Tea and Cels Multiflora were going to stay small!" Thanks for giving me a heads up. Now at least I won't be surprised.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 10:54

Lots of lovely roses, Ingrid! I appreciate full plant shots because it give a much better idea of the size, shape and habit of a rose. Thanks!

o

• Posted by TNY78 6b-E TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 11:49

GardenAtlanta..I had the exact same reaction when I saw Westside Road Cream Tea! I have mine potted because its out of zone and this way I can move it to a protected locationfor the winter, but Ingrid's looks WAY to big to remain potted! eek! Maybe in our cooler zone it will remain smaller!

My favorites are Miss Atkins and Souvenir d'un Ami. Very beautiful! And I agree...I love the whole bush shots!

o

Ingrid, your roses are beautiful, very lovely. How old is Westside Road Cream Tea? I've tried her twice, one died and my second is just a tiny thing, after a year in ground. I can't imagine she'll ever look like yours!

Love your garden.

o

So this is why I haven't seen any "Woe is my garden" posts from you in a lo-o-o-ong time. Ingrid, your buttons must be a-poppin'!! It's gorgeous times a hundred! Absolutely perfect. You must love your stiflingly hot climate and porous gravel soil now. I don't know how you did it, but your garden is too beautiful for words. I love each and every bush. You have laid it out so wonderfully. I'm so happy for you because I know it's been a hard go. If I were there, I'd be teary-eyed, and you'd be sore from all the hugging.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o

As always, GREAT pictures. I miss my La France every time I see a picture of it. Isn't the fragrance amazing? The citrus floats on the air, and then when you put your nose in the flower, the old rose scent is an extra surprise.

o

Ingrid: Once again, a group of superlative photos! Thanks.

About your 'Miss Atkins', however . . . I'm wondering if that's the correct name, or if the rose pictured is actually "Miss Atwood" (the found Bermuda Tea)?

o

Ingrid, your Tea Roses are spectacular. I especially like Cels Multiflora.

I like the look of the mist/ fog in the background.

o

Ingrid, that was gorgeous! It's really hard to find pics. of rose bushes - I appreciate the info. you provide. You did a good job trimming them. I wonder, if you don't trim them - how big will they get in CA? Here in Illinois, the rose park doesn't trim for a short time, and we get 7' tall Tropicana, and 6' tall Knock-outs - I won't even describe how messy Austins get.

o

Ingrid, beautiful bush shots and beautiful landscaping. I especially enjoyed the fog in the background. WOW!

o

I'm so happy you enjoyed this post and want to thank you all for your kind comments. Sherry, a double thanks and a big hug back to you. You know I love and admire your garden and your praise of mine meant so much to me.

First of all, my apologies jaxondel, of course is IS Miss Atwood. I've made this mistake several times now when discussing her. She really needs a more memorable name!

As for Cels Multiflora, I just wanted to point out that she really doesn't need (and doesn't have) a lot of space since her growth is so much more vertical than horizontal. Having said that, it's a young rose and who knows what it will do in a few more years. Westside Rose Cream Tea is a thug in my garden and is always threatening to swallow up the walkway. I wish you could see it today; it's absolutely covered with blooms. jaspermplants, I don't have a record of its purchase but I believe WRCT is approximately two to two and a half years old. If I'd known it would get this big in my garden I never would have placed it by the path. I'm sorry yours is not as you expected. If you're ever down this way you're welcome to dig mine up. I don't like the fact that for the warm part of the year the flowers are small and nondescript.

bellegallica, I too am in love with La France and I couldn't believe how wonderful the fragrance was when I first sniffed it. SdlM that's planted next to it can't compete with that. And the flower is so beautiful! You can't see it because it's so new and tiny, but her sport Duchess of Albany is planted behind her. It will be fun to compare the two.

You're all the greatest and make it so fun and satisfying to post pictures.

Ingrid

o

Beautiful as always, i enjoy the full shots. Being able to see the full bush is so helpful to learn more about the rose. Thank you Igrid. The view in the overall bush shots is just amazing. You will not be disappointed with Belinda's dream. Loved the westside road cream tea.
Indu

o

Ingrid, your garden looks sooo... incredible pretty! I can't believe how many blooms you are having right now. The Tea roses just seemed to be made for your climate. My favorites are Miss Atwood, William R. Smith, and the very elegant Cels Mulitflora. I am also in love with your Leveson-Gower. The size of the bloom on La France is just mind boggling! Looks like a very promising rose for you. I know that you discarded many roses, but the photos proof that your fierce selection process has really paid off. Your garden is a dream! Thanks for sharing it!

Christina

o

lovely photos of rosebushes! I've been trying to decide between Le Vesuve and Souv. d'un Ami' for yearss and now I can make my decision. Le Vesuve for me.
You have a lovely home and garden..

Thanks again,
Luxrosa
P.S. I love Westside road cream tea so much I bought two of them to flank my entryway.

o

Your garden is just beautiful, Ingrid. I'm so glad you were able to post these lovely pictures. I have Belinda's Dream too in the newer area of my garden and it is a winner. I especially enjoyed the view with the bushes and a little haze in the air...beautiful shot.
kay

o

Ingrid, do you know the name of the gold daylily that is STILL blooming in your photos - and in your garden. I want it! Hopefully, it's not a dormant type. I really hope you have the name. :))

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o

Indu, I'm glad you liked the bush shots. I actually have two plants of Belinda's Dream because I'd heard from so many sources that it's a great rose for the heat. Sounds perfect for me!

Christina, you're too kind, thank you for your praise and enthusiasm for my roses. I think I was able to discard so many roses because I always had a vision in my mind of what I wanted the garden to be, and I'd like to think that I'm within a year or two of realizing that vision. After that, perhaps I'll have another vision...

luxrosa, it's just my personal opinion but I do believe that Le Vesuve is the better choice. Its flowers and the bush are more consistently beautiful than SdA, at least in my garden. Still, I'm glad that I have both.

Kay, thank you so much. It's such a pleasure to share with people like you who truly appreciate a garden. Equally great is to see other people's garden and I always wish more people would post shots of their gardens and not just individual flowers, although having both is best!

Ingrid

o

Beautiful, beautiful. Love the shots of your healthy bushes. I'm not sure if I will even have a fall flush as just as soon as my roses were recovering from our awful heat, we had a cool snap. Very unusual for us this early.

o

floridarose, that seems so terribly unfair, that almost your whole rose season has been destroyed. I really feel for you, and I hope that somehow things will still turn around for you this year.

Ingrid

o

Ingrid,

Thank you for identifying the roses both cut and growing. They were scrumptious. The teas I cannot grow and yet, and yet... Very tempting.

Cath

o

Ingrid, I still have high hopes for spring. My B's Dreams are trying for a flush and Sombrueil (I never can remember how to spell it) has quite a few buds and blooms, but not a real flush. Everything else seems to be a total loss, especially Clotilde Soupert Climbing which usually puts on a spectacular show--not a bud in sight. If our winter is not like last year's, very early and very cold, I still have a chance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here