Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam_harbeck

mutabilis and Madame Isaac Pereire

Adam Harbeck
9 years ago

Madame is kept cut back hard to controll the lanky canes and encouragemore more flowers.

Comments (12)

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

but there is no controlling mutabilis...

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Madame Isaac Pereire is to die for; I don't think I've ever seen one look more beautiful and romantic. Your Mutabilis is so pretty and quite a bit taller than mine, since mine has to fit under the eaves of the house. It's really best when it can do its own thing and grow as much as it wants to.

Please keep the pictures coming. I love looking at your lush and green garden with its healthy roses.

Ingrid

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

Woohoo, that mutabilis is amazing!

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..this was mine in July... it was threatening to grow so big I had to hack it back by half... it's often said here that it doesn't get much beyond 3 foot... well, I've grown it in 2 gardens and each time 8 x 8 would be a minimum... some people who aren't gardeners or rose lovers wonder what plant it is and are surprised when I tell them...it's a rose ! I must admit I do tend to think of it more as a large flowering shrub...

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

A friend of mine who lives in the UK has a Mutabilis that does very well, probably not 8x8 but large, robust, and healthy, truly a thing of beauty. I suspect it is a matter of siting it just right.

Rosefolly

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos, Adam. When do you cut back MIP? My Mutabilis grows up for a while, then falls over. It's now 4-5 ft high and 8-9 ft wide.

Trish.

• tuderte
    9 years ago

Hi Adam,

Could I ask how old your Mutabilis is? Does it need shade at all or would it be happy in full sun?

A friend has just given me a cutting of her Mutabilis - at this stage it's tiny (in a 14cm pot) but I was wondering where I should plant her.

I have one part of the garden that receives quite a lot of shade from a very old oak tree planted to the South of it (but along the roadside so it's beyond anyone's control).

Also, if 8 x 8 feet is the dimension it reaches in the UK I wonder how big it will grow here in sunny Italy?

Cheers
    Tricia

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Marlorena, that is a gorgeous specimen. Mine never seems to have that many flowers on it. I suspect it's the dry air and lack of rain which bedevils nearly every rose here.

Trish, my Mutabilis also tends to fall over, especially after a rain, even though it's against a wall. I bend the plant backwards and give it support at the base by leaning some tall concrete pavers to hold it in place. I've never had a problem with free-standing ones flopping over. Perhaps if you pruned the sides so that it isn't as wide it might be more stable.

Ingrid

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

titian1, I cut MIP back in winter. Probably July. I also summer prune to shorten any particularly wayward canes.

Tuderte, my mutabilis is about 3 years old and is a very fast grower. It is planted in full sun. I understand that if planted in shade it will scramble up and out into the light.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 years ago

Hi Ingrid, I do 'lift up the skirts' of Mutabilis from time to time - a bloody business! I'll give her another good prune soon. She needs chopping bqck anyway as she's growing into Mrs Oakley Fisher. How I'm ever going to get behind to deadhead Ms Tillier, I don't know!

Trish.

• tuderte
    9 years ago

Thanks for that information Adam - that's really impressive for a three year old plant. I guess my Mutabilis will be going in full sun then - I have plenty of 'full sun' places - I'll save the shade for those that might prefer it!

Cheers
    Tricia