Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muscovyduckling

Help me plan my yellow and orange rose bed!

muscovyduckling
9 years ago

It's me again!

Most of my brand new roses haven't even started blooming for the spring, and I'm already planning my next little rose garden project, hehe.

This year, I ordered mostly pinks. But next winter, I'm thinking of doing a bed with frosty lemon yellow, pale apricot and white roses. It will be on a west facing slope, so it will cop the harsh afternoon sun.

I already have about a zillion white roses on the wish list, but my good friend Glenburn got me hooked on yellows, and I need some apricots in there too. For some sick reason, I'm really lusting after.... David Austin's. Oh no.

So I'm very interested to hear about growth of apricot and pale yellow Austin's (and any others, for that matter) in warm climates, paying special attention to how they hold up in hot afternoon sun.

I welcome your suggestions! But I'm very interested in Crown Princess Margareta and Lady of Shalott... Will they climb for me? Or just die in the Aussie sun? Ha.

If so, there's always trusty old Crepuscule.

Comments (46)

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No. Stop me now! I just decided last week that I should plant more teas, and here I go talking about Austin's!

So it will be a bunch of Lady Hillingdon's and Mme Jules Gravereaux's and Mrs Foley Hobbs and such. So tell me about your palest yellow and apricot teas...

Oh, go on, tell me about your Austin's too :)

• buford
    9 years ago

muscovy, welcome to my world! I had to dig up most of my roses and now I've got three huge empty beds (maybe 4) and about 60 roses that I have in pots or on order that I need to plan where they are going.

I also like to arrange my beds around cool and hot color schemes. I do have many Austins so I'll give you my input on what I have:

Crown Princess Margareta - a medium apricot, may produce some deeper colors in spring. Yes, it will climb, I'd call it a moderate climber. The blooms are very full and beautiful. Mine was in a spot where it got too much shade, but before that happened, the blooms stood up to sun pretty well. I had to dig this one up, and I'm going to put it in an existing bed on a obelisk. To do that, I need to dig up:

Teasing Georgia. A bright yellow, blooms in flushes. Yes, it climbs, or rather takes over. It grows in a very ramblish fashion, in my zone, it can put out 20 foot canes. It needs support. I am moving it from it's current spot to the middle of one of the new beds. I have a 6 foot very large tripod that I am going to put it on. Does well in hot sun, the blooms don't last long enough to get fried by the sun, but it has many blooms so you don't mind.

Golden Celebration, also a moderate climber. Deep yellow blooms, great scent. Blooms stand up to sun.

Tamora, I think this is a must have. A smaller border rose, blooms can range from medium apricot to light. I would get this one grafted if you can, mine has been pretty puny. Has a great scent, to me it smells like salt water taffy. Great blooms, show worthy.

I had Graham Thomas, I had to dig it up and unfortunately it did not survive in a pot. It didn't bloom much for me, but the blooms I did get were spectacular. A butter yellow. I think in a good spot, it would be a mannerly climber or large bush.

Teas:

Comtessa du Cayla. I had this rose and loved it. Unfortunately it didn't survive the move. A great upright vase bush form, disease resistant, covered in beautiful blooms ranging from light orange to pinks. Did fry a bit in the hottest sun, but again, so many blooms it didn't matter.

You have Lady H and Crepescule, which I also did have (also didn't survive) and those are must haves. I will be replacing them.

I live in NE Georgia, which gets very hot and humid. Also my house faces south so the roses get full day hot sun. Plus we are at a higher elevation (about 1100 feet) so the sun is very strong here. So if these stand up to the sun here, they probably will there. I have many roses I plant it partial shade because they do fry, mostly the dark reds and purple.

Good luck, can't wait to see pictures.

• buford
    9 years ago

Almost forgot, two more Austins you may want to consider.

Tea Clipper. I have this rose, it will be tall and spread out, but not really a climber. It tends to bloom in flushes and can be slow to start. The blooms are a bit lighter than CPM. But just as full.

Abraham Darby. This one is in the pinkish/peach category. will climb. Has a great fragrance and lovely blooms.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

Mrs. Dudley Cross? She's a very soft yellow with an edge that blushes pink so you could use her to bridge your pinks and yellows. Beside that, she's thornless or nearly so and is a good bloomer for me. She's also a real survivor and seems to love our hot humid summers. She has bounced back after a severe winter better than any of the others that died back to the ground.

I'm no expert and I'm pretty sure Tennessee is nothing like Australia.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

The best Austin in the apricot range for hot and dry climates for me has been Carding Mill. It's tough, beautiful, blooms a lot and can really stand the heat. The only drawback is the lack of much fragrance but the other stellar qualities more than make up for that. No octopus arms either. I've "enabled" several people and I've had only very positive feedback. This rose seems to have been made for places that are hotter and drier than England.

Ingrid

• prickles
    9 years ago

Lady Emma Hamilton is excellent, grafted: blooms in flushes, with a strong beautiful scent.

Jubilee Celebration is another, better grafted: weak neck on the flower but it blooms generously, continuously for me.

Jude the Obscure is another one I grow, an own root, climber. Not great but am happy for each bloom he produces. Also I suspect the poor thing is tightly root bound for living in a small pot.

Teasing Georgia, I shovel pruned her this year: thorns that always draw blood, blooms that shatter quickly, poor rebloomer, and the plant shuts down once the temperature heats up. Don't miss her at all!

• Glenburn
    9 years ago

Here you go "ducky", this will keep you occupied for the day,

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www. helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php?sbSearch=SEARCH&tab=5

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I like both of the orange/apricot Austin Ladys. Lady of Shallot is going to be a much bigger shrub, but Lady Emma Hamilton is much more fragrant. I also love the red growth on Lady Emma Hamilton which really makes it look good as a shrub. Lady of Shallot is probably better regarding repeat and cleanliness of foliage.

My mom grows the former, I grow the latter and I would grow both if space isn't an issue. I do think Lady of Shallot will climb over time in a warm climate. I've seen it sold in a 15 gallon container trained around a post as a climber in fact.

She also has Ambridge Rose and Tamora among the apricot Austins. They appear that they will be smaller, have a myrrh fragrance, and are good about rebloom as younger plants (the Tamora and one of the two Ambridge Roses were bought as own-root bands). I probably like Tamora more, but both are lovely.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 18:30

• kater17
    9 years ago

Buford, you're in GA and I'm Central Fl so we both get the humidity. How do your Austins hold up with the summers? I've not had much luck with the ones I have tried so far-lot of blackspot and I think the nematodes got them eventually. How do yours do in terms of disease resistance? Perhaps mine would do better on different rootstock. Some of these you have mentioned for Muscovy sound so lovely, I want to try them again!

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kater17, we have nematodes over the other side of Australia too. Over there, they graft all their roses onto Fortuniana rootstock, which is supposedly the best for nematodes, and plant with the bud union above the soil. Might be worth a shot for you, if you can find anything on Fort.?

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Whatever you choose, I want to recommend something to accompany your "yellow and orange rose bed" -- Cynoglossum amabile 'Firmament'. The blooms look like sprays of Forget-MeNot, but a few inches taller. And it blooms all Summer and into Autumn. I loved how a little patch of it framed my rose 'Happy Child' this year -- whenever the rose had a flush, the two set each other off beautifully. Get some seed and sprinkle it lightly around the roses. It self-seeds gently over time.

I'm sure there are other companions you're thinking about, but nothing beats a true-blue against yellow and orange for a nice pop.

:-)

~Christopher

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankyou to everyone for the suggestions!

Glenburn, I will need to invest in a Premium membership before I tackle that link... Otherwise there are just toooooo many results! Probably about time I did that anyway.

Ingrid, I have read your praises of Carding Mill on other threads, but I just can't stand the myrrh fragrance (so much that I'm SPing Glamis Castle and Charles Rennie Mackintosh immediately). I know I could just not smell that one, but I want to smell them all! This spring I've been wandering around the garden every morning sniffing every rose, aha. It's fun. I don't want a stinker in there ruining my morning sniffing, hehehe. Thanks for the recommendation though. Do you grow any yellow/orange teas?

Same thing re: Tamora. It's sort of not too bad, but I still get the myrrh undercurrent from it that I don't like. Maybe I'll get over that one day. But in the meantime I'll probably go for Lady Emma Hamilton instead.

Glad to hear decent reports about both Lady of Shallot and Crown a princess Margarita. I like those ones :)

Mrs Dudley Cross is a good suggestion, thanks! She smells good too... And I will most likely move Anna Olivier to this bed. Maybe with Isabella Sprunt and Marie Lambert, if I a can get hold of her.

I love Jude the Obscure and I will probably plant him. Maybe not the best idea in the world, but I really need to find out for myself otherwise I will always be wondering... Ha.

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And Christopher - trust you to already be thinking of companion plantings :) Thankyou! I love your colour schemes so I will certainly try out some of this Chinese forget-me-not.

• kater17
    9 years ago

Yes there is a supplier of DAs on Fortuniana that others have recommended-Cool Roses in FL and they have a Crown Princess so I might steal Buford's suggestions for you and get this one to try.
    I could not be without my Crepescule rose..it takes all my newbie abuse and continues to stun me with its vigor and blooms. You have an Anna Olivier too which is a new one for me this autumn but is already putting on a lot of growth. Good Luck with your new rose bed and post pics!

• buford
    9 years ago

kater, I do spray. Almost all roses get blackspot in my yard, and the Austins are notorious for it. I use the Bayer Advanced Disease Control every two weeks or so.

We don't have nematodes here, but I am thinking of getting some roses on fort. I actually have a fort plant! It was Touch of Class, but apparently that part died over the winter. I know Cool Roses down in Florida has Austins on Fort. I was thinking of getting a new Tamora from them. Mine suffered a lot this winter, and is down to one small cane. Many exhibitors use fort grafted rose, and it can also be winter safe up here, just needs some winter protection for the first winter. I know they have Tamora and a few others, I would check it out.

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh, thanks for the reminder Buford. I forgot to mention - I won't be spraying anything on my roses, or giving them fertiliser every three months or anything like that. I am a bit (okay, a LOT) lazy, and I don't like having chemicals around my place because of my dogs and the other wildlife here. Manure and water will have to be enough for them. They might get some alfalfa if they're REALLY lucky and remember my birthday etc etc

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I've never seen Carding Mill for sale anywhere in England, nor on display in a garden... it's a pity as perhaps some of us might have liked to try it...
    ...I think I might send them an email and find out why this is exactly...if it was disease prone here then surely that would be the same for many parts of the U.S? neither does it say on their American site that it is a tender variety only for warm climates... although I have read elsewhere that it is recommended for California but amongst many other of their roses that also grow well here...

• buford
    9 years ago

If you aren't going to spray, most Austins will get blackspot. How bad depends on the conditions. Teasing Georgia gets spotty, but usually doesn't defoliate. The rest do lose some leaves. A yearly dosing of alfalfa and some manure should be good. The more important thing is good soil and water.

The teas like Crepescule and Comtessa du Cayla are very disease resistant.

9 years ago

Muscovy, my nose must not be the greatest since I couldn't detect much fragrance of any kind with Carding Mill. On the other hand, I did loathe the fragrance of Glamis Castle and hated its vicious thorns and it was gone in short order. I've just ordered Charles Rennie Mackintosh and sincerely hope it doesn't smell like Glamis Castle.

I do have Cl. Lady Hillingdon and had Reve d'Or in the past until it succumbed to the heat since I stupidly planted it against a sunny house wall. I also had Charles Darwin and liked its soft shade of yellow but it deteriorated for unknown reasons after looking beautiful the first year. I'm not averse to soft tones of yellow or apricot (I still have Miss Atwood), but I'm very much about my garden blending into the wild hilly landscape that closely surrounds it.

Marlorena, I have no idea what rationale the Austin people have for which rose goes where. I know I've heard Australians complain that the roses they really would like to try are never available there. Some roses we never see here. I suppose Carding Mill could be a dud in rainy, humid climates since it seems so well adapted to warm, dry ones. It would be interesting to know and if you send the e-mail and receive a reply, I'd love to know what they have to say.

Ingrid

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry ingrid - CRM smells just like GC to me :(

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Ingrid,

I've sent them an email and they have told me that someone will get back to me on it shortly. I have a feeling they've been asked this question a million times already...
    I don't know when this rose came on the market, I've not checked, but maybe it was selling here early on, and proved unreliable. I didn't notice it if it was...

edit: I've just checked and it was bred in 2004 and released to the American market a year later. Not here it seems. Very strange.

Muscovy,
    I'm not sure you'd like Lady of Shalott either.... some people say it has a strange smell.. to me it's musky, I don't mind it, ... but may not be for you...

edit: It's described as tea scented with hints of clove, but also musk, myrrh, violets and lemon... take your pick from that...

I just love its floriferous nature and sturdy constitution... I'm expecting big things of this rose next season... it better be good as I have it facing a road and all passers by will see it....

This post was edited by Marlorena on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 18:50

• bayourose
    9 years ago

Don't know if I am too late to chime in on this conversation, but how about Molineaux? Its relatively new, got it this year on own root and it blooms its head off and does not have disease issues, not any BS to speak of, as I don't spray. It doesn't have a fragrance to my nose, but has gorgeous yellow blooms. Just a suggestion. :)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 years ago

Hi muscovy. I've tried a few DA's and sp'ed the lot because of severe blackspot. Ones I've tried are Tamora, Troilus (loved, loved, loved the blooms on this one and the honey scent, but worst bs of them all), Redoute, Abraham Darby and William Shakespeare 2000. Maybe you will have better luck. I have seen Comte de Chambord growing in a garden in the Southern Highlands, and lusted after her, but given up on Austens.

I have Mrs Dudley Cross, and she does very nicely, but her blooms are so heavy that they usually face the ground. But she does grow large, so eventually you'll be able to see into them! Also have Anna Olivier. In previous years, she has been glorious, but this year blooms mostly burnt on the outside - maybe lack of water, I don't know. Another apricot I tried was Sunlit - an Alister Clark. The blooms are very like AO, but it didn't do well for me. It had a rotten position though.
    I also have Comtesse du Cayla. Love the colours. She glows, but they do fry on hot days, and last summer I scarcely had a decent bloom. She's a slow grower, and I nearly sp'ed her, but the winter blooms were so pretty I've given her another chance. Have Crepescule too, and her blooms crisp here as well. I didn't have that problem in another garden in Sydney, but she does get more afternoon sun here.

Thanks to Nandoll's raves I planted Julia Child (known horrendously as Soul Mate here) this Spring, and she's had her first flush. They start off butter yellow (I know you want frosty) but fade to pale yellow with a pinky tone. She seems to be wonderfully healthy, and blooms don't burn even though she gets afternoon sun.

Have you thought of Westerland? I love the colours on this rose. I have it as a climber, but HMF says it will be a shrub too. They also say it likes a cool spot, but I had it facing west, and it was very happy.

Like another poster, I'm looking forward to some pics. Maybe next year?

Trish.

• kathyannd
    9 years ago

I love your idea for a palette of pale yellow, apricot, and white. It's a perfect choice for hot climates.... the lighter colored roses hold up better and withstand the extremes of heat better than the darker colors (red, burgundy, dark orange, deep pink....) I would also suggest considering a pop of color with a bit of orange... a bronze or a soft orange. I'm thinking bronze coneflowers for the period at the height of the summer when the roses take a bloom break. They would work with your palate and provide color when the roses shut down.

Although I am in California now (we can grow roses 9-10 months of the year here), I recently moved from Massachusetts where we had 4 distinct seasons. Our winters were harsh and our summers were equally harsh - long stretches of 90 degree weather with 90% humidity, and the sun would fry eggs on the sidewalk.

When the temperatures are that hot in the midst of the summer, you can expect your roses to slow down and even become dormant, but as the weather eases in August, they will start to perk up again.

During the worst of the heat, the blooms may be smaller and look washed out and very pale and the roses may stop blooming altogether. That improves when the cooler weather moves in.

One way to protect the roses is to stop feeding and pruning when the hottest weather is expected. For example, if July is the time when you have your hottest weather, stop feeding by mid-June, and just let them rest. When the temps. start to ease up, resume feeding, pruning, etc.

Another thing that I found very helpful was to introduce some dappled shade into our gardens. We planted trees that were fast growing and provided light shade, yet wouldn't ultimately produce a wide canopy with deep shade. A dogwood (a true dogwood, not a kouza), honey locust, Cleveland pear, or dwarf fruit tree are some that would work. Trees that have been trained to "weep" are also great for this, but unless you enjoy pulling cherry seedlings (which send out a very deep tap root from the start) don't plant more than one weeping cherry.... that way you can avoid having fruit.

Beyond that, the most you can do is keep them watered and just wait out the highest temps and try to choose roses that are known to be heat tolerant.

Some of the more reliable yellows I've grown are Walking on Sunshine (which bloomed through a drought), Graham Thomas (not everyone would give this rose 2 thumbs up but it worked very well for us), Sunshine Celebration, Sunshine Daydream (a medium to dark yellow and an incredible blooming machine), and for a garden with your palette, Macy's Pride is another rose that performed well for us in the heat. Julia Child is a dark yellow, sometimes tending to peach. If you have room for a climber or two, Austin's Alchymist and the LFC Autumn Sunset get my votes.

In terms of apricot/light orange, Pat Austin is one of my favorite light orange-deep peach roses. (Like you, I love the Austins.) Lady Emma Hamilton is another lovely peach Austin but for a true apricot with a divine fragrance, try Carolyn Knight.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

If you want a more shrubby plant, Crocus Rose makes a nice constant green blob with short necked blooms that look really nice with Golden Celebration

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

^those are gorgeous !

Ingrid,

I received a reply from Austin roses regarding Carding Mill.

''Due to company decisions, some varieties of our roses are only released in certain countries and not in others. It may be that at some point this rose does become available to purchase in the UK but I can't be sure of this''.

..so, ...company decisions... all a bit wishy washy if you ask me. We shall just have to go without...

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Another apricot/pink Austin that has done very well for me so far is Evelyn, she has been vigourous and has large beautif blooms that smell heavenly, like a peach. I live in a very hot and humid area of Texas where BS is a problem and Evelyn has had some BS but it has been very little and she hasn't defoliated from it. I can't wait for her to reach maturity, she is a beautiful rose.

9 years ago

Thanks, muscovyduckling, I'll be sure to keep my nose out of CRM in that case. Fortunately its closest neighbor is La France, nothing myrrh-like about that one.

Yes, Marlorena, that was an answer without an answer, but thanks for checking. I have a feeling "company decisions" translates into "money".

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

'Molineux' is extremely reliable and always in bloom here. Great disease resistance also, though the diseases here are mainly rust and mildew.

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone :) Kippy, I love your Crocus. Always admired it, but it's had some average reviews. How do the colours stand up to your sun?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Crocus Rose fades to a creamy color with a warm yellow center but it still love the blooms

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Regarding the description of Lady of Shallot's fragrance, I find it is almost scentless and perhaps has some of the tea fragrance occasionally. I don't think it would offend anyone who can't stand the scent of Glamis Castle, Ambridge Rose, or any of the "myrrh" or anise smelling roses. Glamis Castle is altogether more "soapy" to my nose than "myrrh" like, but fragrance is highly variable and preferences vary.

Jay

• buford
    9 years ago

I must be weird, I love the myrrh fragrance.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I do too, buford! Distant Drums has a pleasant "myrrh" fragrance amongst non-Austins with that fragrance.

Jay

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I like black licorice too

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Lady Hillingdon is beautiful, but protect her from the hot afternoon sun.

What about Safrano? If I had the room I would get one of these along with Peace 1902, a stunning tea.

What about some of thr Alister Clarks? Squatters Dream sounds like a lovely rose. I love that Indian yellow colour.
    Lady Huntingfield to gorgeous too.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

It is a Kordes rose, not an Austin or a tea, but I think 'Westerland' would suit your garden beautifully. It does very well in California gardens. If it is available to you, I think you would like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Westerland

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, it's time to order my winter roses (finally) and I've decided to go for a combo of Lamarque (my fave white), Teasing Georgia, and Lady of Shallot. Hopefully they'll do a good job of taking out my fence :)

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago

Charles Rennie Macintosh does have an odd smell, but to my nose it is completely different from the myrrh roses. More like soap. I grew it for a number of years.

• Vicissitudezz
    8 years ago

I think it sounds like a great combination. From what I hear about 'Lamarque' in Oz, I do hope it's a sturdy fence!

Do I remember that you were thinking of ordering (or had ordered) 'Pax'? I no longer think my unknown white rose is 'Pax', but I do think they're both beautiful roses.

I'm also looking forward to hearing about your camellia hedge, but don't recall if it's more of a winter or spring bloomer?

Enjoy!

Virginia

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Virginia!

Yes, I did order Pax last year. It was a bit tiny so I put it in a pot to grow on a bit. Sadly, I'm forgetful when it comes to watering, so it didn't do much all year and is still tiny. I think I'll just put it in the ground this winter. I wonder what your mystery rose is? It's lovely anyway.

My camellia hedge is doing well! (Probably because I didn't torture it by putting it in a pot and forgetting to water). It's still not really recognisable as a hedge, more a series of tiny plants doing battle with weeds. But I went with Brushfield's Yellow, which flowers in late winter, so if I'm lucky I might see one or two blooms in a few months :)

• michaelg
    8 years ago

Buford's description of 'Teasing Georgia' sounds wrong as to growth habit and color. Could that plant be mislabeled?

'Caramela' (Caramel Fairy Tale) has old-style blooms, good large-shrub habit, and excellent blackspot resistance in a no-spray garden here. I have just planted it at home.

If you are OK with semi-double blooms, 'Carefree Sunshine' is perfectly resistant to blackspot and blooms as much as a rose can. Considering foliage, habit, and bloom, it is the best-looking plant in the garden more often than not.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's TG. I gets large for many people.

• Vicissitudezz
    8 years ago

muscovyduckling, I know you're working hard to get your garden reaaranged/redesigned. I hope you are stopping every so often to appreciate what you've managed so far without thinking too much about what still needs to be done.

When you do get around to planting 'Pax', I'm sure it will get growing... it has that reputation of being pretty darned tough.

I'm hoping you'll post a few photos of your progress along and along.

Virginia

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Haha Virginia, there's actually not much progress to see I'm afraid. I had about 3 months off from gardening after my dog died last year (I was a real mess!) and then summer came upon us and I didn't do much over summer either as it was too hot.

Now it's autumn again and I'm removing more trees than I'm planting, and trying to get on top of the weeds. So not much progress this year, but that's life I guess.

• muscovyduckling
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Michael G, Carefree Sunshine looks like a really pretty rose. Is it fragrant? If not, I'd be more inclined to go for something like Franchesca or Thisbe.