Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaspermplants

Question about ARE roses

jaspermplants
12 years ago

I've been wondering this for awhile and decided to post this question to the forum. The roses I receive from ARE are always leafless and it sometimes takes a couple weeks (or more) for them to leaf out. They remind me of bareroot roses, but of course they are potted. Roses I get from other nurseries such as Chamblees, Vintage, RU, etc are leafed out when I receive them.

Anyone know why ARE roses are different? Are they grown in fields instead of greenhouses? I know next to nothing about the nursery industry and am curious about how different roses are grown for sale. I did ask someone at ARE once but didn't get a clear answer.

Thanks for any info you have on this.

Comments (16)

• malcolm_manners
    12 years ago

Yes they're field-grown in the sense that they are produced outdoors, on the ground, but in pots. So you're likely receiving semi-dormant plants.

• lou_texas
    12 years ago

Jaspermplants, all the roses I've received from ARE - over several years - have been bushy and in full leaf and some have had buds. Possibly we have ordered at different times of the year. Lou

• jerijen
    12 years ago

It gets pretty cold there in Brennan. And the roses are on the ground, in hoop houses, so if they're semi-dormant in fall/winter, that wouldn't surprise me.

Jeri

• jaspermplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lou, I've ordered from ARE in fall, winter, and spring and the roses from them have never been leafed out that I can remember. I'm not saying they are not good roses, I'm just wondering why they are dormant when received. I've not experienced that with any other roses I've ordered elsewhere. I have had to treat them similarly to a bare root rose to get them to leaf out sometimes.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or wondered about it?

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Possibly, they may REMOVE the foliage, for shipping. For disease/pest-control reasons???

Jeri

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    12 years ago

I was wondering the same thing Jeri. Might it have to do as much with where the rose is growing (location of ARE) as well as where the rose is being shipped? Different agricultural requirements between and among particular states??? Different rules for plants shipped within the same state or even county? Could it have anything to do with size and age of plant, pot vs. in-ground grown? I don't know.

Roses I received from ARE this year were leafless (but huge as usual). I don't remember the leaf status on plants from prior year shipments. I live in California and this year plants from Vintage came leafed out, as did those from Greenmantle (another California source), and from Heirloom (Oregon nursery).

Melissa

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Removing the foliage can also trigger the plant to go semi dormant, reducing its water stress while being shipped. It can help provide them a rest before starting growth again. I'd think part of the reason it might be done would be to make transplanting safer, in case the root balls get disturbed either in the mail or when removed from their pots. It can help your chances of success. Kim

• User
    12 years ago

I've gotten plants both ways from them, both leafed out and bare of greenery. The weather was still pretty warm when I got the last one from them, and it leafed out very quickly, so I assumed they had just stripped it for shipping.

It has never been a problem either way. I've always gotten great plants from them, and never lost any, either.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

We lost a number of ARE plants in the very beginning, when they were shipping tiny own-root plants bare root.

When they started shipping in containers, that was better.

Though we're in SoCal, we've been able to visit ARE on several occasions, and always bought roses as a "souvenir."

Our big Rosette Delizy is one of the roses that came to us bare root from ARE, more than 20 years ago. It's an absolutely wonderful R.D., and I'm happy that we've been able to share it forward to the Sacramento City Cemetery. If you have a chance to order that, from them, DO SO!

Jeri

• lottirose
    12 years ago

The last rose I received from them came with a note saying that because it had been so hot they had removed the leaves for shipping. This was right after they resumed Fall shipping. The rose I got actually had quite a bit of foliage and in a very short time was totally covered in new healthy leaves. Right now she is trying to bloom even though my nights have been ranging between 29 and 40.

Their roses are among the best in my garden - and if they have what I am looking for I would certainly order from them based on my previous good experiences.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

I am north of Texas, but purchase almost all of my roses from the two nurseries you mentioned.

Since I live in Tulsa, I order my roeses to be delivered in the middle of March. They have always been full of leaves except for a few exceptions.

Once I ordered in the fall, and the roses had leaves, but they died by spring. Fall planting here was not a good recommendation for me.

Why don't you ask them about the leaves?

I am surprised that Dr. Manners said they were produced outside in pots. Because of their planting directions, I have always thought that they were planted in a controlled temperature.

Sammy

• malcolm_manners
    12 years ago

I'm sure Mike wouldn't mind my posting some photos of their growing fields, since they give public tours at their annual fall festival. So the link below is to a photo of their growing area. In that flickr account, the next 2 photos are also of the same growing field. It's a nice operation and grows a good plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of ARE's growing fields

• jaspermplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello all, interesting responses. I had assumed everyone received roses from them that were leafless but evidently not. I order mostly in the fall since that is the best time to plant in my climate but I have ordered in the spring occasionally (usually no later than March) so maybe that is the reason they are leafless.

As mentioned earlier I did ask ARE about it once but didn't get a clear answer from them. I'll probably ask them about this again. It hasn't been too much of a problem but it does seem like the roses take some time to leaf out. Maybe because I'm in a dry climate, not sure. I do spray the canes with water pretty regularly if they seem like are having trouble leafing out.

I did lose 2 or 3 roses from them a couple years ago. I think I got them when it was still hot (probably September) and they never did leaf out. ARE did replace them though. Once they leaf out they are great roses, no complaints there.

Malcolm, I appreciate the pictures of the fields at ARE.

• jaxondel
    12 years ago

When ordering ownroot plants, I always request shipment for mid- to late spring. It's been several years since I ordered from ARE, but I'm certain that the plants they shipped to me were fully leaved-out. I'll be receiving a few Bourbons and Teas from them in 2012. Personally, I'm very pleased to learn that ARE's roses are not grown in a controlled environment.

• cath41
    12 years ago

I received ARE roses this year in late Spring (May or June) which were leafed out. This is late for me and I would guess for them. The leaves on all the roses were limp and hanging. All the roses recovered reasonably promptly except one that died. This is the first time that I have received an ARE rose that has not survived the shipping. The best planting time for me here is the end of March-first of April when the plants are dormant to semi-dormant, the worst frosts are over, and the April rains can give them a good start.

Cath

• saldut
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pic, Dr. Manners--- something I notice, they appear to use overhead watering, also the pots are setting on plastic not on the bare ground...interesting.... sally