Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bman1920

Best place to plant R. Moschata?

bman1920
10 years ago

I have R. Moschata coming in the spring. It is coming from palatine so it will be on multiflora. Im zone 5 michigan. Cant really find alot on the web. Should it get some afternoon shade or should it get all day sun? Does it like pruned or does it like to grow huge? Lots of questions any info is appreciated.

Comments (23)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

bman, I have had this rose for a couple of years, in full sun in Texas and it doesn't miss a beat. Help Me Find says it gets 8-12 feet tall

Love this rose!

• lori_elf z6b MD
    10 years ago

I don't think R. Moschata is hardy past zone 6b. You should plant it in a warm sheltered spot and be prepared for winter protection. Plant the bud union deep so it will come true if it dies back to the ground.

• User
    10 years ago

Yep - in full agreement with Lori - find a south or west facing wall to grow the rose against (masonry will provide extra warmth) and be prepared to put up rudimentary winter protection such as horticultural fleece or even burlap.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. Be prepared for lots of winter protection.

Good luck to you, of course. Zone pushing is a popular sport around here.

Rosefolly

• bman1920
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Newbie mistake. Wonder if i could swap for a different rose with palatine. Would love the waft but dont wanna dead rosebush. I guess i could try but im new to roses so i should stick to roses that can handle zone 5. I just assumed if palatine sold it i could grow it here them being in canada.

• User
    10 years ago

It may well be possible since there are micro-climates in every garden. Also, Canada is not always the grim and icy north - places like Vancouver Island have a maritime climate with massive benefits from coastal warming.

But yep, if you can, for certain results, I would try to swap - there are many fabulously fragranced roses which are also bone hardy - albas and damasks for example.

• bman1920
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thnx alot for the help. Ive been planting alot of albas and damasks. I noticed palatine has botzaris maybe i can swap. Ive already ordered or have the other ones they have. Wow this rose gardening is turning into a mental illness. LOL i guess theres alot worse addictions.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

The obvious substitution is Darlow's Enigma. The fragrance is different, but it does waft, and it is hardy.

The Niagara Penisula, where Palatine is located, is a strange place. It's between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, and may be zone 7. The plant life is obviously very different from here. I remember reading a pamphlet on Presque Isle State Park (PA) on Lake Erie, that talked about certain ecosystems that were common on the Atlantic coast to the northern end of the New Jersey shore (Sandy Hook), then stopped because it got too cold. Some of these were present at Presque Isle.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

The closest thing I can think of to 'R. moschata' which should be hardy for you is ''Darlow's Enigma''. Sure, the scent is different, but it still wafts through the garden. DE is more related to 'R. multiflora' but it has a similar look -- sprays of (almost) single white flowers. DE can get huge, but I don't know if that will also be true in zone 5. But in any case, it can handle a severe whacking-back every Spring, be it because of Winter-damage or to simply keep it in-bounds.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: ''Darlow's Enigma'' at HelpMeFind

• bman1920
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thnx alot for the help. I have a darlows enigma i planted this summer. I cant wait for it to get bigger. Anyone have any thoughts on botzaris maybe i can swap.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

I've had 'Botzaris' only a year, and it came as a band. I experienced only two flowers on it thus far. I'm not knocking it, but it isn't really something similar to 'R. moschata' to serve as a substitute. If you're just looking for another rose to plant in its place, then yes, 'Botzaris' is very nice. But if you're looking for a fragrant single white, there might be some other possibilities.

One which just came to mind is 'Lyda Rose', a Hybrid Musk. I don't know how it would do in zone 5, but it's probably hardier than 'R. moschata'. Others gardening in colder zones than mine would be better able to assess that choice.

~Christopher

• true_blue
    9 years ago

bman, did your Rosa moschata survive the winter?

• bman1920
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will let you know. Still winter here. But we're having a mild winter compared to last year. so I will see if it comes to life this spring.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thanks bman, keep us posted. Hope it will survive. How deep did you plant the bud union?

• bman1920
    Original Author
    9 years ago

About 4 inches below the surface. It's on the Southside of my brick house. I gave it all the help I could.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I think if it made it through last year, it'll do OK this year. And I think where you planted it gives you an extra zone of protection. If you find you're removing a lot of dead wood each Spring, consider wrapping it for Winter.

~Christopher

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Christopher, bman got the rose in spring 2014. I misread the post too :-)

In my experience, roses hardy to zone 6, normally survive till zone 4 with the typical cold zone measures (bud union 4" below, protected area, etc.)

- Bob

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Ah, thanks! I went back and realized that he was asking in 2013 about a rose he had coming in 2014.

:-/

~Christopher

• true_blue
    8 years ago

bman so did your moschata survive the winter? How is it doing?

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    8 years ago

bmanz5 -- If you ever want to try again, and you're patient, and you have a place to move a potted rose for Winter, let me know. I can always root a cutting of mine. Virginia already has a baby from it, and it's on my list for rooting, anyway.

~Christopher

• bmanz5
    8 years ago

Thanks AquaEyes for the offer.

• true_blue
    8 years ago

Thanks Bman for the update. I wish I had a space for it....

FWIW, I've been more than often happily surprised by the resilience and hardiness of roses in my climate....

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville