Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Please tell me about Souvenir de St. Anne

carla17
16 years ago

I am thinking of purchasing this rose. Can someone convince me that I need it.

Thank you,

Carla

Comments (31)

• carolezone7b
    16 years ago

Hey Carla!

I have Souvenir de St. Anne....I can't remember where I got it from though. Anyway I bought because I had heard good things and that it was a sport of SDLM. It is ok. The bush is still small and blooms now and again but never anything impressive.

Do you have Mystic Beauty? It is a sport of a sport of SDLM. And available from Roses Unlimited. MB is a rose to get excited about...gorgeous flowers and scent.

Carole

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Carole, I do have Mystic Beauty but thought if SDSA is wonderful, I need it. LOL

Carla

• patricianat
    16 years ago

My SdSAs are great roses, bloom far more frequently than any of this other group and the bloom is very different, but pleasingly so. It's a great repeat bloomer and hardy rose.

• paparoseman
    16 years ago

Carla, my SdSA is six years old and five feet tall and wide. When your drought is over you will enjoy having a rose that opens well in rainy weather without the look of wet toilet tissue.

Lance

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Exactly what Lance said. And the reason I bought SdSA first was all the reports of SdlM's blooms being prone to sogginess in wet weather.
    So, I've had my two SdSA for about eight years and because it had fewer petals, it both repeats faster and if one bloom is drowned by morning mist, the next one probably won't be.
    Unfortunately we moved one of mine and chopped off a five foot long root (inadvertantly). It is still recovering from our chop, but in clay soil, expect own root St. Annes to make a great collecting root mass and that is a good thing that makes for long lived, successful roses.
    I think it's a must have rose for our part of the world.

• jody
    16 years ago

I've never grown SdlM, but bought SdSA because I saw it at Ann's garden. Good bloomer, healthy bush, wonderful, wonderful fragrance. While the walking neighbors are not initially attracted to it because of the blooms (these are still people who think of HT's when you say "rose"), they always track it down because of the scent and then ask me to cut it for them.

I want to add Mystic Beauty also in the near future. Well, actually, I think the rose I lost the tag for is Mystic Beauty, but I'm not certain. One of the advantages of SdSA is its ability to produce blooms in all weather conditions.

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have my SdLM in a partial shady spot and it seems happy there. Does anyone grow SdSA in partial shade?
    Nice to see you Lance.

Carla

• luanne
    16 years ago

Mine gets some shade from a rather large Mme. Antoine Mari.

{{gwi:321076}}
    It was on a rainy afternoon at the old Vintage Lot when I caught a luminous blush colored rose floating in the air in a film of rain, as beautiful as that Irish skin that looks candlelit from within."Then fly to her side and make her your own..." No kidding, shades of "Some Enchanted Evening..."
    la

• windeaux
    16 years ago

My Souvenir de St Anne's gets direct sun only until about midday (in the summer) & is then in fairly deep shade. It performs very well for me under those conditions.

One of the best things about this semi-double rose is that it is MUCH more fragrant than its parent, SdlM -- thanks to the fact that far fewer petals means its stamens are exposed.

Another reason to consider SdSA is this bit of trivia: It was one the favorite roses of that great rosarian, Graham Stuart Thomas. In fact, he was instrumental in SdSA's introduction into commerce. The rose was found growing in the gardens of a private estate (St. Anne's) near Dublin in the early 20th century. It was grown in only two Irish gardens until cuttings were given to Thomas upon the death of the woman (Lady Ardilaun) in whose garden it was discovered. St. Anne's Park is now a public garden which, ofcourse, reportedly contains a bed of its namesake rose.

The above factoids are from a book edited by Wayne Winterrowd: ROSES -- A CELEBRATION, which contains a chapter written by Thomas on SdSA.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

I dearly love mine. I have it in a pot in the front of my house. I know I won't be able to keep it there forever but I love smelling it everytime I walk out of the door. Mine only gets a little morning sun and then some late afternoon sun and it has plenty of blooms and relatively clean foliage.

Carol

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm so pleased to hear good things about this rose. Luanne, your photo is beautiful, the companion is lovely. I appreciate your prose, always entertaining.

Thanks everyone.
    Carla

• stefanb8
    16 years ago

The one growing here at the arboretum is glorious and healthy, and it's even in more shade than a lot of the roses. It also seems to want to be taller than the SdlM (over 5 feet with annual pruning versus a little over 3 for SdlM), but that could be partly cultural. I always experience a wonderful fragrance from SdlM, but it's totally different from the clove/musk you get from the stamens of 'Souvenir de St. Anne's'. It has more blooms and they are soft and glowing and lovely in a way SdlM can't quite match, made more translucent by the light moving freely through the petals.

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

I don't have any experience with it. I've only seen it one time. It was enough to convince me I wanted one. This was taken at the end of October in zone 8. The bush was 4 or 5 ft. tall with clean foliage. Yes, it was soft, glowing, lovely, innocent, blushing Irish skin in the canlelight, all those things. One of those roses you automatically reach out to touch.

{{gwi:321077}}

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

garden2garden, thank you for the photo. Thanks to the generous answers, I have ordered one.

Carla

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

I've seen and smelled it many times in public gardens here, including the Fort Worth Botanical Garden. It's a fantastic looking rose and the fragrance is way, way above average.

Randy

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Stefan.
    Randy, I am looking forward to this rose and now that I've heard how fragrant it is, I'm ready. Thank you.

Carla

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

You're welcome, Carla. Happy to help.
    Well, I'm glad you decided to get it. I hope it does well for you.

SdlM does good here. I believe that S.de St. Anne is going to be my bd present to myself next spring.

That was some interesting trivia windeaux posted about it's name. I wonder if the garden at St. Anne was where the sport was originally noticed and propagated or if they got it from someone else and grew it there.

• jody
    16 years ago

I wonder if I could keep one in a pot on the deck.....hmmmm.

• luanne
    16 years ago

Garden, Garden--yes it was discovered in that garden.
    Jody I don't know if it will makea difference but the root structure tends to spread out to the sides rather than go deep, so a wide pot more than a deep one.
    la

• Agnesik12
    11 years ago

hi,

I already bought this rose. But I still don't know if i chose the right place for it. Can you please show the picture of the whole shrub? I would like to see how big it is.

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Agnesik12--it depends on climate. If you are in Poland, it will be a small plant if it survives at all. Roses in the family of Souvenir de la Malmaison like hot summers and will suffer cane damage in your winters.

• User
    11 years ago

There are some whole shrub photos at HelpMeFind. (Link below. Just click the Photos tab when you get there.) The problem I find with those, however, is that if there isn't something in the photo to act as a frame of reference it's actually pretty hard to tell just how big the shrub is.

On a related note, this is one of those roses you have to see in person. Pictures don't do it justice.

Here is a link that might be useful: SdSA @ HelpMeFind

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I haven't seen Carla on this forum for some time. She used to be very active. Is anyone in contact with her? I'd like to know that she is doing well.

Rosefolly

• debnfla8b
    11 years ago

I have this one planted in my front yard. It is a very slow grower but is so worth it. A lovely rounded shape, glowing blooms that smell very good with a scent that wafts across the yard. So far it is BS clean! I have it planted so that it has plenty of air circulation all around it.

Deb

• newtie
    11 years ago

Does well in the hot humid Southeast

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

I have a one year old SdSA, and last summer a rosarian neighbor who always inspects my roses on her walks, stopped and asked what a certain rose was, as she loved the bud shape when opening...yes, SdSA. I was a bit surprised, as unitl she said so, I hadnt realized what a delicate bloom/bud shape this one is. And that was only being in the ground a few months. Can't wait to see more this year. Too, it is an EarthKind rose, I believe.

• Tessa Harding
    6 years ago

My SdSA is about 6 years old and is doing very well in the East of England climate. It is a wonderful rose with a beautiful scent.

• User
    6 years ago

That's good to know, in case I should ever feel the urge to get one. I'm in the same area as you Tessa... I've often wondered about this rose.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I had SdSA and it grew and bloomed like gangbusters, a very healthy rose. Unfortunately, it was in all-day sun and the blooms didn't last well at all. I had no better place for it and reluctantly let it go,

• Wendy Warren
    3 years ago

Have a brand new plant,which has one beautiful blossom, very eager for year 2.2.live inInioo

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022