Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bman1920

Anyone know how i can get Canary Bird?

bman1920
10 years ago

Ive seen alot of talk about early yellows. I ordered r.primula from pickering. Gonna order Hugonis from high country roses. Cant find canary bird anywere or is it not worth growing so companys stopped selling it. From what i read on here people like it.

Comments (6)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Sorry no one has answered this. I see on HMF there are no US vendors now that Vintage is closed. It doesn't even list anyone in the US growing it either.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

I looked, too & didn't see it. Was going to suggest Father Hugo's from Forest Farm, but see you already have a source. Might try listing it as a "want" on HMF.

FWIW, I've had trouble rooting species, but maybe it suckers & someone can get one for you.

• slumgullion in southern OR
    9 years ago

As of August 2014, Hortico lists Canary Bird. It isn't in stock but their database indicates it will be available in November 2014.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

MANY of these wonderful things have fallen from commerce here with the closure of the specialty nurseries. I'd sought Hugonis flore plena for the past two years. Every garden which grew it, lost it. Vintage supposedly had a mother plant and I offered to buy a sucker from it if they had one, but there was too much going on to hear back. It took two years, but there are buds of flore plena in a whip out front now.

Originally, Xanthina was a double flower with the single version identified as Xanthina normalis or spontanea. I contacted every source asking about the petal count of their stock. All sources responded theirs were all single. Because the double form resulted from seed, I obtained imported Xanthina seed. I hope at least one of the seedlings out back flowers double.

These things are worth growing, but most don't sell in sufficient quantities for most vendors to stock. Each is going to determine which sells best and is easiest for them to produce, then offer that one type. Good luck! I know what it's like to want something you just can't find. Kim

• nastarana
    9 years ago

www.floweringshrubfarm.com

is the website for Azalea House Flowering Shrub Farm, a specialty nursery in upstate New York, in a charming village outside of Albany. You might try emailing the owner. He has a small but select collection of hardy roses, as well as heirloom lilacs, blueberries, and espalliered apple trees. He does do mail order, and prices are very reasonable. The website is, for me, a bit hard to decipher, but lots of fun to read. I can't remember if he has Canary Bird, but he does search out varieties his customers want.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

I see that David Austin has it on thier website for the nursery in England. Don't know if you could convince them to ship it over here.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!