Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

Roses in Bermuda Revisited

ogrose_tx
10 years ago

Here's the email I received regarding new book out on Bermuda Roses:

"Thank you for inquiring about our new book Roses in Bermuda Revisited. The books retail for $29 soft cover and $39 hard cover. The postage and handling is $39 per book.

If you are interested please advise which book and we will send our banking information and post book/s."

Their email is ccd@northrock..bm.

Comments (16)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I must say the postage and handling fees seem to be outrageous for a book.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

+1 Ingrid. My thoughts exactly.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, at that price I can live without this book too!

• porkpal zone 9 Tx
    10 years ago

Would there be any hope that a bookstore or nursery could be convinced to make an order large enough to get a better deal?

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Postage to/from Bermuda really is high -- nevertheless, I'm thinking -- this may be an error.

It looks to me like they meant to type another figure, and just duplicated the amount. OGRose -- would you consider replying to that message, and asking for clarification???

Jeri

• malcolm_manners
    10 years ago

There will be BRS folks at the Lakeland meeting this weekend. I'll plan to ask them about shipping.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Thanks Malcolm. I emailed, but your approach is probably best.

Jeri

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did you get any information on shipping costs from Bedrmuda, Malcolm?

• malcolm_manners
    10 years ago

This is apparently the real cost of shipping one book.
    They quickly sold out of the 30 they had in Lakeland. The Antique Rose Emporium will be importing them by the case, so they should have them for somewhat less. Also, the HRF is considering importing one or more cases and making them available at heritagerosefoundation.org as well. If your rose society or someone else wanted to do the same, they come in cases of 30, the shipping for which is a bit over $300, so just over $10 per book.
    Malcolm

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Malcolm, that really isn't too bad, may consider buying!

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Yes. If they were available that way, I think many would want them. Malcolm, if you DO decide to do it, let me know, so that we can give it some publicity in "Rose Letter," et al.

Jeri

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    9 years ago

I was just at the Antique Rose Emporium yesterday, and they are now selling "Roses in Bermuda Revisited" for $29.95. I don't know if it is listed for their mail order sells, but they did have a good number of them in their store.

This post was edited by plantloverkat on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 9:40

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll pass this information along to Darrell Schramm, for "Rose Letter."

Jeri

This post was edited by jerijen on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 11:58

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I just looked at the ARE site. This book is NOT on their web site as being for sale. So, I called the mail order phone number and inquired. A very nice lady said that they have it in their Garden Store, and she couldn't think of a reason why she couldn't mail me one. She went over there to check on the price. She called me back, and WITH shipping, the total came to $39.44, so I ordered one.

Jackie

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Great news! I may have to get one!

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I got home from a vacation yesterday, and "Roses from Bermuda Revisited" was in my mail! So excited, I flipped it open, and it accidentally opened to a page with a good picture of Sombreuil (aka Colonial White), and it said it was a climbing tea from 1880! Very discouraging. Made me doubt the knowledge/expertise of the editors re all of the roses in the book. Then, I noticed that the book said that they were using the designations of each rose as per the ARS, and I forgave the editors, and my wrath shifted to the ARS.

Does the ARS still insist that the modern large flowered Sombreuil is a tea from 1880? I thought that was settled? Then, I looked it up on HMF and to my horror it also says 1880! I know these sorts of errors are hard to get rid of, but what does it take? Will someone have to do a DNA analysis of Sombreuil and Mme de Sombreuil to prove they are not the same rose? That should be obvious.

Of course, using that name is the main problem - not correct, was never correct, and is, I think, the cause of all of this confusion now. Having to refer to it constantly with "(aka Colonial White)", or explaining that I mean the modern large flowered climber, is ridiculous.

End of rant. When I have a chance to look through the entire book, I will let you know what I think of it.

Jackie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH