Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_flower

Floriferous old roses

kristin_flower
13 years ago

We are having our first snow storm of the season and cars are in the ditch everywhere. I've decided to stay in today and dream about spring flowers.

I love roses (actually all shrubs) that put on a spectacular display, even if there is no repeat. I've ordered 3 Madame Plantiers because I've heard that the blooms smoother the shrub in early summer.

What is your most floriferous rose? I don't have many antiques (yet), and the ones I do have are very young so I can't give an informed opinion on their floriferousness. I can vouch for the floriferousness of a couple of moderns.

John Davis:

{{gwi:321791}}

Ramblin Red:

{{gwi:321792}}

I'm very interested to hear which are your most floriferous roses.

Comments (16)

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Gorgeous pictures!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

My roses are too young to be incredible bloomers but as far as number of blooms during the year are concerned, so far the tea Le Vesuve is probably the most prolific. Lavender Dream, Bermuda's Kathleen, Miss Atwood and Mutabilis are also very floriferous.

Ingrid

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Your roses are amazing---I love the blue shutters on your home---they make a nice backdrop for the roses--

the blooms on John Davis are gorgeous----you have lots to dream about during the cold months of winter---
    Florence

• mariannese
    13 years ago

Madame Plantier and Chloris are the most floriferous of my old roses. Ispahan comes third in a good year but it froze last winter for the first time in 16 years. The Geschwind Rosa californica Plena and Geschwinds Nordlandrose are also smothered in blooms. The yellow rugosa Agnes by the gate is another but it's so leggy that the effect is spoilt from inside the garden. But behind the front hedge it amazes passers-by. It's a yellow hill.

• reg_pnw7
    13 years ago

Konigen von Danemark will delight you. She will be covered with blooms once mature.

La Ville de Bruxelles is another that will be covered.

• kristin_flower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Florence - you're so sweet. I have a long, long, long time to dream until spring.

Mariannese - I'm intrigued by Agnes. I've never seen one in person, but from all I've read it sounds super hardy. I'm so glad to hear about Mme Plantier too. There is one at the Arboretum here in MN, but it was not on my radar this spring/summer and I didn't seek it out during bloom time. Chloris is another rose I keep changing my mind about. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Reg PNW - I'm so exicited to see what KVD does next spring. Mine has grown up tall since the pic was taken.

• kristin_flower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...and Ingrid - I love your Mutabilis. I have a book that describes a private Italian garden with a "meadow" of over 300 plants of Mutabilis. I bet it is quite a sight!

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Champlain, American Pillar, and John Davis come to mind. For the longest display and staying on the old roses, then I'd say Coquette de Blanc and Compte de Chamboard; both are still trying to bloom now and have very good repeat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Kristinflower, I went to save these photos to my clippings and found a photo of your John Davis roses with your sky blue delphiniums. That photo has me crazy for pinks and blues. It's all your fault!
    Renee

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

kristin flower, the pictures of your roses and companion plants are wonderful! Thanks for the eye-candy!

My most floriferous old rose is 'Rose de Rescht' and her fragrance is amazing! A very carefree and easy to grow rose for me in my zone.

Christina

• jim_w_ny
    13 years ago

Baltimore Bells is covered with hundreds of flowers. Very hardy too. Of course very big roughly 10x10. The mass of flowers are also very fragrant. No BS and no beetles as the flowers are gone before they arrive. The only problem with it with it is the flowers turn brown and it is impossible to dead head, well I haven't tried it but maybe it might be done.

Now if I could only post pictures I have some great pictures of it. On Picasa please in case you want to help on that chore.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

my roses are too young to comment, but I love your photos! They encourage me in my love of nepeta, too.

• kristin_flower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jim - Baltimore Belle sounds very tempting. I wonder how it would do in zone 4a? I'd probably have to lay the canes down and cover them, but it might just be worth it.

I'd love to see pictures of your Baltimore Belle. I'm not sure about uploading pictures from Picasa. I have mine on Photobucket. I click on the HTML link code, copy (ctrl C) and then paste (ctrl V) the link right into the body of my post.

• greybird
    13 years ago

Kristin, your roses are breath-taking, thank you for sharing these gorgeous photos!! Everything looks so cool and fresh. And that little shed is adorable.

The Alba bed idea sounds great. I love this class, floriferous, plus great foliage when out of bloom. Mine are young, but already blooming their heads off. I would highly recommend Alba Semi-plena and Alba Maximus. Blush Hip wants to climb and extremely vigorous, with an enormous amount of bloom.

Elegant Gallica is the star of my Old European garden. This is one gallica that likes to bloom and bloom. Will sucker quite a bit, but not a bad thing.

• jim_w_ny
    13 years ago

kristin

I'm in Z5a and those long 10' canes are untouched by winter. It's a Setigera hybrid.