Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
orange roses/Pat Austin for SW Florida?

Posted by marcia_pa5 PA5_FL9b S.SarasotaC (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 11 at 11:47

My Pat Austin in Pennsylvania is a tiny little shrub that gets frozen nearly to the ground every winter. I love those nodding, orange flowers. Any experience with growing her in SW Florida? Or any orange-y rose? I'm not a fan of the hybrid tea rose form. I have a Livin' Easy in PA that I like, too.
Marcia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: orange roses/Pat Austin for SW Florida?

Hi Marcia! I'm not in SW Florida, but in SW Texas and Pat Austin on Fortuniana roots is a large, healthy bush that quickly repeats. It is one of my very favorite roses!

o

I don't have a Pat Austin, but it sure is pretty! The oranges I do have here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida are Easy Does It, Chihuly, and Hot Cocoa. Easy Does It is my newest one and seems to be the best at blackspot resistance. It has a medium light scent and is lovely, but not quite as pretty as Pat Austin. Chihuly is also very pretty and changes colors like a sunset, but is not as blackspot resistant and is unscented. Hot Cocoa is a rusty red orange and is slightly more bs resistant than Chihuly, but not as resistant as Easy Does It. It is very vigorous and replaces any foliage it loses to bs. I like all three.

o

Thanks for your responses. I contacted Cool Roses and they do not have that rose now on fortuniana, maybe in the spring. So unless I see 'Pat' somewhere else, I'll have to put that idea on the back burner :(
Marcia

o

I received this rose as a gift from a coworker, and it was on Dr. Huey, not Fortuniana (she wasn't a rose person, obviously). She bloomed her head off until her untimely demise, not from nematodes, but from a fungal die-back disease. The blooms were gorgeous, and I would really like to replace her with an own-foot or one on Fortuniana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here