Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which of these two rose bushes gets taller?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 11:58

I've read that both tend to stay short, but which plant do you think will get taller, Pretty Jessica or Prospero? They will both be coming in from Pickering in a few days.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which of these two rose bushes gets taller?

I don't know, because I've not grown Pretty Jessica for a long, long time -- but I can tell you that Prospero does best with minimal pruning.

Think of it as a China, and prune lightly.

Jeri

o

I grew Prospero awhile back and it seems like it got to 3 feet or so. As for Pretty Jessica, it is barely a foot tall, if that, in my garden, after at least a year and probably longer. It must hate my climate since it doesn't grow at all. It will probably be leaving soon, or at least moved to a less favored spot. Baffling, when a plant doesn't do anything at all...

o

My Prosperos are a little taller than my PJ, but it might be different in your climate. Both are slow growers for me, but good roses.

o

Don't know about Prospero, but my Pretty Jessica (in its 4th-5th year) is about 2.5 ft tall, or maybe nearly 3 ft. Yes, it was a slow grower.

I'm in Zone 6 Kansas, fairly close to Oklahoma--hot, hot summers.

Kate

o

Thank you all for your replies. This helps a lot in knowing where to place them and what to expect.

Much appreciation!

o

Roselee, my Pretty Jessica is about 2ft in her second year. She is definitely a slow grower in my garden. Lou

o

• Posted by cziga Zone 5 -Toronto (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 12:46

I don't grow Prospero but Pretty Jessica is now 3 years old in my garden and still TINY :) I knew it would be small when I bought it, I wanted a pretty rose for a compact space, but even I had imagined a little taller! She's about 1 1/2 ft, maybe 2 ft tall at most. Blooms nicely during the summer, love the fragrance although its a little low to the ground, but very tiny. A good rose in every way, but I can't imagine another rose being shorter, lol!

o

Thanks Lou and Cziga for your input. They arrived from Pickering yesterday. It only took 6 days to get them by land.

I got two of each and both are nice size bareroots, but the canes on Pretty Jessica are definitely smaller. I've grown Prospero before and dearly loved it. Pretty Jessica is new for me and I can't wait to see and smell the flowers. They will be in raised planters so I won't have to stoop so far to sniff them! :-)

Incidentally Prospero is one that is being discontinued by Pickering, but will still be available own root from a couple of U.S. nurseries.

o

^ I have Prospero both grafted from Pickering and ownroot from Roses Unlimited, and it does OK on its own roots (fairly feeble both ways, but adorable).

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 15:56

I would like to try 'Prospero' on fortuniana. That would be interesting!

Mine grafted on Huey, long gone own-root, is a gigantic 5', but it took a decade to get there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here