Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Which of these two rose bushes gets taller?

I've read that both tend to stay short, but which plant do you think will get taller, Pretty Jessica or Prospero? They will both be coming in from Pickering in a few days.

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I don't know, because I've not grown Pretty Jessica for a long, long time -- but I can tell you that Prospero does best with minimal pruning.

Think of it as a China, and prune lightly.

Jeri

• jaspermplants
    12 years ago

I grew Prospero awhile back and it seems like it got to 3 feet or so. As for Pretty Jessica, it is barely a foot tall, if that, in my garden, after at least a year and probably longer. It must hate my climate since it doesn't grow at all. It will probably be leaving soon, or at least moved to a less favored spot. Baffling, when a plant doesn't do anything at all...

• michaelg
    12 years ago

My Prosperos are a little taller than my PJ, but it might be different in your climate. Both are slow growers for me, but good roses.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Don't know about Prospero, but my Pretty Jessica (in its 4th-5th year) is about 2.5 ft tall, or maybe nearly 3 ft. Yes, it was a slow grower.

I'm in Zone 6 Kansas, fairly close to Oklahoma--hot, hot summers.

Kate

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. This helps a lot in knowing where to place them and what to expect.

Much appreciation!

• lou_texas
    12 years ago

Roselee, my Pretty Jessica is about 2ft in her second year. She is definitely a slow grower in my garden. Lou

• cziga
    12 years ago

I don't grow Prospero but Pretty Jessica is now 3 years old in my garden and still TINY :) I knew it would be small when I bought it, I wanted a pretty rose for a compact space, but even I had imagined a little taller! She's about 1 1/2 ft, maybe 2 ft tall at most. Blooms nicely during the summer, love the fragrance although its a little low to the ground, but very tiny. A good rose in every way, but I can't imagine another rose being shorter, lol!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lou and Cziga for your input. They arrived from Pickering yesterday. It only took 6 days to get them by land.

I got two of each and both are nice size bareroots, but the canes on Pretty Jessica are definitely smaller. I've grown Prospero before and dearly loved it. Pretty Jessica is new for me and I can't wait to see and smell the flowers. They will be in raised planters so I won't have to stoop so far to sniff them! :-)

Incidentally Prospero is one that is being discontinued by Pickering, but will still be available own root from a couple of U.S. nurseries.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

^ I have Prospero both grafted from Pickering and ownroot from Roses Unlimited, and it does OK on its own roots (fairly feeble both ways, but adorable).

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

I would like to try 'Prospero' on fortuniana. That would be interesting!

Mine grafted on Huey, long gone own-root, is a gigantic 5', but it took a decade to get there.