Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Which New Roses are You Most Excited About?

Since very few of us can ever seem to stop buying new roses, whether we need them or not, I wondered which of them are the most special to you, the ones that generate the most anticipation.

In my case the major one is Charles Rennie Mackintosh because the cupped lilac pink blooms just seem so enchanting. The other three are the teas Mme. Antoine Mari, Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux and Baronne Henriette de Snoy. I've never seen any of these roses in person so the anticipation level is running high.

What about you?

Ingrid

Comments (32)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Fred Boutin's candidate for the real Bloomfield Abundance. The buds are still green and beginning to swell after their three week 'incubation period'. Lady Roberts, Mlle de Sombreuil and Souv. de Therese Levet as budded plants. They're all here and all the buds are swelling. Spring should be great fun! Kim

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I am excited about:

Souvenir du Dr. Jamain
    Tarde Gris
    Acropolis
    Melody Parfumee

Ingrid, I recently acquired Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The cupped lilac pink blooms are exquisite. Repeat is good.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I'm with you, Ingrid, in that a lot of young plants still seem new to me so I'm pretty excited about several of my roses. They've only bloomed once or not at all:

Gloire de Dijon
    Francis Dubreuil
    Mme. Berard
    Jacques Cartier
    Mistress Bosanquet

The same goes for immature plants in my mom's garden that I'm excited to see develop:

Souvenir de Pierre Notting
    Mlle. de Sombreuil
    Madame Antoine Mari
    Yolande d'Aragon
    Paul Bocuse
    Crepuscule (Had it's first bud this past weekend)
    Felicia
    Clytemnestra
    Queen of Sweden
    Madame Berkeley
    Madame Melanie Willermoz

All of both of our teas are a few years from maturity so they're all exciting to see mature. Heck, most of my roses are immature so they all garner some excitement. Treasure Trail is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. It's rarely been out of bloom since a few weeks after arrival and the shrub is growing very vigorously and evenly.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 16:38

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

There is a rose that actually is pretty new(2009) that I am excited about, Grand Dame. My daughter was volunteering at the San Jose Municipal garden last summer and told me about this rose that she had fallen in love with. We went to see it and it had so much to recommend itself . It's a beautiful deep pink HT with exceptional fragrance. It was also vigorous and disease free. I ordered two from Heirloom one for her and one for me. They grew swiftly and bloomed wonderfully.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I have deep anticipation for:
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Mrs. Dudley cross
    Ducher
    A Tamora
    Munstead wood

I'm not done with my list but those are the FOR SURE roses I will be planting next spring. I am also excited to see how my new roses mature, I absolutely can't wait to see all 3 of my climbing pinkies in full bloom come spring and I can't wait for zephrine drouhin to bloom either.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I am looking forward to seeing all of yours and the photos! Kim's especially. But Jays list too as well as everyone else's

I am being bad and not disbudding the little teas. Mom is loving that garden space so much I don't have the heart to pluck the buds knowing at 91 years old she might not get to see them as grown plants so she should enjoy now. So far the rose down there that just keeps on blooming is 'Rainbow'. It is right by the main entrance to the teas and mom stops to point out how lovely it is every time.

I am looking forward to many but this week it is Smiths Parish who has a dozen buds and Mons Tillier who arrived as a nicely rooted cutting just a couple of months ago and loves the garden growing quickly and has a bud or two

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, I'm always touched by how much love and consideration you show for your mom; she seems always to be in your thoughts when you're planning something for your garden. How nice to see her in your picture.

Pam, I had to look up Grand Dame and she's now on my very short list of roses I'd like to try. On HMF she seems to have only positive traits, and I'm tempted to try her in the back where the sun is fiercest since this rose seems to do very well in the heat.

I see several of you have Mlle. de Sombreuil. Of all my bands over the years this one has grown and bloomed the fastest by far.

Your enthusiasm is catching and I got very excited by your choices and how much you're looking forward to seeing them grow and bloom. Next spring let's all show pictures of our new acquisitions in bloom.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Thank you Ingrid.

Mom loves her garden. It is why she is 91

Out of the frame is my Madame Antoine Mari and next to her on the left is Mlle Sombreuil we should be able to compare notes next fall

• jardineratx
    9 years ago

I am pretty happy with my White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth and I am looking forward to this rose coming into maturity. The blooms are redder than I expected, the fragrance is stronger than I expected and the foliage is healthier than I expected!
    I am also excited about my cutting of Antoine Rivoire which appears to have rooted. I fell in love with this rose a couple of years ago.
    Molly

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

I'd go with Souvenir de Leonnie Viennot, which I just received from ARE. Other little guys I hope to see blooming next year are:
    Crepescule
    Ardoisee de Lyon
    Belinda's Dream
    Eugene Furst

I want to get more teas, but it's hard to decide. They're all so gorgeous...
    Sylvia

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

This was a begin again year for a lot of my roses with some of my old ones dying to the ground after winter and a whole lot of new ones.

I'm most excited about Lady Roberts, a little band that I received broken this spring. The box looked like someone stood on it. It was the only injured rose in that box but it was the one I wanted most. I planted it in a pot where it grew a little over the summer. Actually it did well, considering where it started. And it wanted to bloom! Finally I let it this fall just to see how the flowers would look. I can't wait to see what it will do next year, although I know it will be awhile before it finally hits its stride.

• odinthor
    9 years ago

The Laevigata 'Anemonenrose'. For a number of years, I had its sport 'Ramona', which has a very special charm. After it died--probably due to a mysterious die-back disease which carried away about a third or a quarter of my roses!--I eventually bought another--in fact, it was the very last rose I ordered/received from Vintage. The new 'Ramona' has now settled in nicely, newly in the ground, and I wanted to give it its mother 'Anemonenrose' as a garden friend for it to talk to (at a distance of about 16 feet). I hope they don't chat too loud--my bedroom window is just a few feet away. I've ordered 'Anemonenrose', and should be receiving it next April.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Although listing it as 'Anemone Rose' this also says it is registered as 'Anemone' and was introduced under that name.

And refers to it as 'Anemone' in the narrative section of the page (the part where the plant's history is discussed).

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Rosa laevigata 'Anémone Rose'' Rose

• odinthor
    9 years ago

Alas, the HMF info does not reflect the current state of information on this rose. My recent interest in this rose sparked an extra effort by myself to look into its origins, with better results than I had anticipated. As detailed at length in another (private) forum, Jacques Louis Wiesener of Fontenay-aux-Roses, France, received seed from Breitschneider's collection of seed in the mountains north of Peking (or Beijing if you prefer). He sowed these seeds in 1884. One seed sprouted. It bloomed for the first time in 1889, when he (Wiesener) had occasion to write of the matter in Revue Horticole. The publication's editor, Edouard Andre, encouraged him to propagate and distribute the rose. It was subsequently introduced in 1896 by J.C. Schmidt of Erfurt under the name 'Anemonenrose'. In writing of it in 1901, Revue Horticole states of the name 'Anemonenrose': "which we translate (for the ease of French pronunciation) Anémone Rose, a name which alludes to not a single variety of the Anemone of florists but rather to the blossoms of the Japanese Anemone elegans rosea, which it very thoroughly exceeds in size" (my translation). It thus is a Chinese rose (i.e., seeds from China) raised by a Frenchman and introduced by a German. Making it a product of "Laevigata x Tea" is speculative and most likely incorrect; the seed was from a collection in the wild. The correct name of the rose is 'Anemonenrose', and the correct attribution would be "Wiesener/J.C. Schmidt, 1896."

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Interesting Brent, thank you! Please feel free to add it to the "Comments" section on HMF or, if you prefer adding the referenced publication, as a "Reference". If you would like assistance adding the reference publication, please let me know and we can get it on there pretty easily. Thanks! Kim

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

'Snowbird' (not exactly antique from 1936) has been really good. Very pleased with it.

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

Kronprincess Viktoria! I planted one from ARE last winter and it is the healthiest plant and blooms and blooms. A much faster grower than SDLM, for some reason. I guess it's just the right plant in the right spot. Very pretty bush and of course the blooms are wonderful.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

K&M Roses has a good selection of OGR's on fortuniana this year. I'm going to order 4. Baronne Henriette de Snoy is one for sure. Going to be tough selecting the other 3.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

As if I have not wrestled enough with the ayreshire Splendens, I have added Venusta Pendula to my bread and butter order, along with 2 more moyesii roses (a deep pink and Geranium), Fedschenkoana, hugonis, a couple of basic eglantines, Margeurite Hillings, Nevada, Fruhlinggold, Scharlachglut and Kew Rambler. None of these are unfamiliar to me but I decided to simply replicate the some of my allotment roses for the woodland planting, rather than attempt many more painful transplants.

Original Author
    9 years ago

camp, I'm imagining those roses in a woodland setting and I think it will be magical. They have a wild aura to them that will look wonderful there.

Ingrid

• sidos_house
    9 years ago

I received a Lady Hillingdon from ARE in September. I left it in its pot and let it rest on the steps where it received a good dose of morning light. During the next four to six weeks it doubled in size and in early November gave me the biggest, prettiest, very fragrant, coppery-yellow blooms. I am excited to get it in the ground next spring and see what it does. I always think I love pink roses most but those yellow ones touch my heart in a different way.

On the other end of the spectrum, I was able to reserve Leda from Palatine. I suppose it might 2016 until I reap the blossom rewards from that one -- but that's the life of a gardener.

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

I'm really excited about 3 roses
    - cl. 'Florence Bowers' Pink Tea' One of the last two roses I bought from Vintage gardens before it closed
    There are so very few climbing Tea roses, a handful compared to what seems to be hundreds of climbing Hybrid Teas. Originally when I bought my property I wished to plant a pink climbing Tea over an archway leading to my front door, the only problem was that there were no pink climbing Tea roses available in North America although climbing Mrs. B.R.Cant was found in the U.S. in 1961 it is no longer in commerce. .
    Florence Bowers Pink Tea' is anything but "another pink rose", it shows pink in many of the hues seen in a tropical fruit punch: guava pink, grapefruit pink blending with orange- juice-
    orange in the center. The outer petals have a spikiness at times which along with the colors give a lively personality to this rose.
    I'm so glad I bought it!!! I hope it will root for me from cuttings.
    -cl. Kaiserin Auguste Viktoria' I swore I wouldn't buy another rose without seeing it in person first BUT several folks posted about the good fragrance of this rose and I always need another Old Rose and white roses are my favorite, and I love the elegant bloom form, but alas, not so fond of the type of scent, it smells of slightly rotting vegetation to me. (what the frelll?) It's fully evergreen where I live, another plus, so I will gladly forgive my own olfactory failings.

most likely ' Mme. Lombard'
    because I took cuttings from 3 Tea roses last summer from Mme. Lombard, Mme. Antoine Mari and Lady Hillingdon and this one appears to be Mme. Lombard, according to its' foliage and prickles, but a fair number of the blooms show white stripes against pink hues. Is this common in Mme. Lombard?
    Papa Gontier sported into Rainbow, so this would not be a unique finding in this class.
    If I have any money left from paying my cats' dental and surgical bills (William the Conqueror is doing fine, by the way) I hope to purchase a Etoile de Lyon and another Marachal Niel so I can learn how to bud it onto 'Gloire des Rosomanes'.
    Luxrosa. ..

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your kitty Lux.

I am looking forward to hearing about your Florence. She was on my vintage list along with probably quite a few others. I am going to try and root a couple of my teas to see if my luck has improved.

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

Only two new roses for me, both teas obtained at the SJHRG September celebration and both of which I am excited about. "Jesse Hildreth" is still merely a twig, but he is a growing twig with new leaves, so, "so far so good". 'Edith Perry', a much larger plant, has been blooming and I am very pleased with the blooms.

This is a case of a child being much better than the parent, I think. 'Edith Perry' is a seedling of 'Bon Silene' but, in my eyes, much handsomer than that rose. The blooms look something like, and smell a lot like, 'Mrs. B.R. Cant'. Unfortunately the lineage of both 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' and 'Bon Silene' are listed as unknown on HMF, so no way to know how or if they are closely related.

My "Florence Bowers' Pink Tea" (which also smells like 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' -- seems to be a theme here), beginning her third year in the ground, has really taken off the past few months, apparently now going for world domination. If she were growing straight up she would be 14 ft. tall or so and has this past month put up many long, healthy canes. I see she is still not in commerce in the U.S. -- clearly time to be making cuttings.

Bloom on 'Edith Perry' today:

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Cats, thank you for the photo of Edith Perry! I have a little one that I can look forward to now as well. My Jesse put on quite a show for a little plant, I am looking forward to seeing it in the ground.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Ingrid I'm pleased that you want to get Grand Dame. I actually thought of you when I saw it. I hope you don't mind the HT habit. Still it's well foliated.
    About Florence Bower's Pink Tea. I felt sorry for people that can't get it and was able to start a few that I'm donating to the Sacramento Cemetery Open Garden sale.

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Thanks, Catspa, for sharing Edith Perry. She's simply beautiful.

I'm new to roses, and gardening in general. My husband let me have 10 roses for early Christmas presents, and I got the following from Chamblee's, and I look forward to seeing them bloom, hopefully, this coming summer:
    Darcey Bussell, Strawberry Hill, William Shakespeare 2000, LD Braithwaite, Monsieur Tillier, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Purple Rain, Graham Thomas, Charles Darwin, Berlinda's Dream.

I know these are not new roses to some of you, but they are totally new to me. I cannot wait to see some of these in blooms in next year!!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kachana, for a beginner your choice of roses is excellent. I wish you great luck with them.

Ingrid

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

All of them? My garden is small enough, that now that I've learned a bit more about roses, there isn't really enough room for me to indulge in roses that I don't really, really want.
    In particular, Souvenir de St Anne, & Kronprinzessin Viktoria - Souvenir de la Malmaison, new last year, seems to like my garden (she's still trying to bloom in November) so I'm hopeful her reputedly less fussy sports will like it too.

Also Cardinal Richelieu - I like gallicas and Charles de Mills grew on well for me last year. Looking forward to see it bloom.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I am would love to see an open bloom from my new baby Mons Tillier. What a beautiful clean plant it is. Perfect foliage

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Noelle Nabonnand is another brand new one I have been looking forward to as well. Also beautiful clean foliage