Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floweryearth

Reddish canes on a rose bush (bad)?

floweryearth
9 years ago

Hello,

I have two rose bushes I planted last fall that have been lovely all summer.

BUT... since the start of fall I have observed that many branches are turning an unusual shade of red.

This has me very concerned. This is my first time growing a gallica (Ypsilanti), so I don't know whether if it is a canker, a rose rosette symptom, or (hopefully) something trivial.

Please feel free to click on my photobucket links to see more pics.

Please give me any input you find necessary.

{{gwi:323179}}

{{gwi:323180}}

{{gwi:323181}}

{{gwi:323182}}

{{gwi:323183}}

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

entirely normal ... especially in fall ...

do roses go dormant down in your zone.. for winter????

red is often a precurser to green... in many many plants ... its not uncommon to see it in spring ...

i once asked a professional.. and he explained the red phase to me.. but i cant remember why ... maybe someone here can refresh my memory ...

e.g. hosta pips can be red in spring .... some tree leaves come out with a reddish tinge... but are not red trees.. etc ...

the affect is rather too consistent for me to jump to a disease ...

and its not really a time of year.. i would be fertilizing.. up here in MI anyway ...

which simply leads me... back to.. its late fall.. even down where you are ...

you should be CONCERNED.. about learning... but i wouldnt carry that as far as WORRY ... as i am reading some level of stress .. in your post .... and your plant simply looks too healthy ...

ken

• floweryearth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, thank you so much.

Yes, roses absolutely do go dormant here (usually beginning late November until somewhere in April).

I agree about not fertilizing anything at this point in the season.

You read me right, there was "some level of stress" in my tone. (One of the two plants is from Vintage Gardens).

In saying "and your plant simply looks too healthy", you made my day.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Red or not those canes look perfectly normal and very healthy. It's a reaction to the cooling temperatures and less sunlight of Autumn. Nothing to worry about.

• floweryearth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, seil.

I am so happy things look okay.

Honestly, I've been procrastinating posting this thread since I feared the roses were done for.

I am looking forward to many wonderful bloom seasons with these roses.

Any other replies would also be very welcome.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

I'm not in your location, nor do I grow that variety, but it seems a little unusual that a gallica a would be producing new canes late in the fall. Mine are going dormant and turning fall color owing to the shortening days.

The canes with leaves turning normal green are clearly OK. Maybe you would post a couple more pictures that clearly show the origin of the dark red canes. Turn the camera horizontally.

If ann6bTN replies, you can trust her judgement concerning suspicions of rosette disease..

This post was edited by michaelg on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 9:54

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

You read me right, there was "some level of stress" in my tone.

==>> you are welcome ...

my other cliche.. is that i killed more things.. with too much love.. than by benign neglect ... [pre-WWW days for sure]

its good you have a place like GW to post some pix ...

but do understand... not everything is a crisis.. nor requires reaction ... curiosity if good ... crisis is not.. lol

take care ...

ken

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

I've seen an Ypsilanti growing on the other side of Clinch Mountain and it's a Gallica, but there's enough 'other' in it that the late cane growth may come from the 'other' (along with its tendency to bloom quite a bit later than almost all other Gallicas that I've seen.

One thing that I've seen on rose canes that I think I see on yours is a possibility of sunburn to the canes. Ideally, roses have such dense leaves (as if Black Spot didn't exist) that sunlight doesn't touch the canes, at least for the first couple of years. Anyway, I think you may have a touch of sunburn on the upper surface of these canes; way to test? Look on the underside, or on the northern side of more vertical canes.

Those sure do look like Ypsilanti leaves, but they should be starting to change color now. My gallicas have always shut down for winter not by temperature, but by daylight limits.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I live on the other side of the State from you. You're roses are trying to shut down for the winter. Mine are doing the same thing and you are probably 5 degrees colder then me. Be happy and get ready to enjoy the N. GA. spring.

• floweryearth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really appreciate the feedback from all of you.

Now I can rest assured my precious new plants will be okay.

Ken-n.ga.mts -- Happy Birthday :) Yes, I am happy and look forward to the N. GA spring! A short but very special part of the year.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

3rd photo down, the reddish is a line at the top of the cane, with (from what I can tell from the photo) the rest of the cane green still. here that would be a very slight sunburn, or sun exposure.

• floweryearth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, hoovb.

• floweryearth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello,

I just wanted to make it known that I am now sure it was a sunburn.

I observed that the reddish areas were only on the parts of the canes that receive the most direct sun. On the opposite sides of these branches, there was much less to no color.

Thanks again! :)

• buford
    9 years ago

Here in Georgia, we had been getting some awfully hot sun, even if the weather was cool. The angle of the sun is different too. I do get sunburn on some of my roses that get late afternoon sun, especially in late fall/winter when they have lost their foliage.

After this weeks cold, I'm sure Flowery's roses have shut down for the winter :)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus