Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelg_gw

'Madam Cornelissen'

michaelg
9 years ago

In the royal house of Malmaison, Mme C is the queen's eccentric sister. Her petals are notched and ruffled. The broad outer petals sometimes develop unevenly, so that the nest of inner petals is framed by a square or triangular background, rather than a circle. Sometimes she forms a perfect rosette, but nearly every flower is different from the others.

Flowers are large (4') and white with a pink center and a complex perfume. They are fine for cutting if taken in bud after the sepals drop. Buds are susceptible to botrytis petal blight in cool damp weather, but tend to spot rather than ball outright.

The plant is similar to SdlM's, angular and spreading, vigorous without being tall, and very free blooming. She enjoys heat, but also produces outstanding bloom well into the fall. The attractive foliage is resistant to blackspot in some gardens, but said to be susceptible to mildew on the West Coast. Like a typical hybrid tea, it is cane-hardy to around 5 degrees F. But unlike most HTs, Mme C grows well on its own roots.

Not well-suited to the Pacific fog belt or the far north. Otherwise, if you are not familiar with this charming rose, consider giving it a try. Roses Unlimited lists it under the name "Edith de Murat."

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF Mme C.

This post was edited by michaelg on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 14:52

Comments (16)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yes. I can see why she merits such a glowing recommendation. ALAS! I AM on the Pacific Coast -- where I was stubborn enough to make three separate tries at growing Souv. de la Malmaison.

So I won't even try. But I wish I thought I COULD succeed.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Michael, thanks for the enable. I think I will add her and Svr. de St. Anne's to my list.
    Susan

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

I added her this past year and she is doing wonderful! Souv. de la Malmaison didn't like me though :(

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

All of the Malmaison clan are just beautiful, but Jeri's experiences have put me off trying any. I'd only gamble on Souvenir de St. Anne's in the hopes it would open well, but it could still be a mildew or rust prone mess here by the coast nevertheless.

Susan, I take it you are posting as Rose.Cottage on Instagram? I believe I recently started following you since I thought a Susan from Nashville seemed familiar! Cute kitty and pup!

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 19:23

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I'm very fond of mine, although as a bush it hasn't developed nearly as well as SdlM, and was actually sliding toward death, losing more and more canes, but I'm doing my best now to bring it back. I much prefer it to Kronprinzessin Viktoria, which is no more after it developed all sorts of maladies, although at its best it was also a very pretty rose. The shape of the bloom and subtle color variations make it more interesting to me than KV, and I'm trying hard to bring it back to its former state of health. I would miss the Madame's unique charm and beauty very much.

Ingrid

• barbjo8b
    9 years ago

I purchased Edit de Murat from Roses Unlimited and planted it late this May. It has stayed very short and the foliage suffered from mildew all summer....Yikes...I am on the Central Oregon Coast, and in an even wetter and cooler climate than California. EdM is planted near Mystic Beauty which also has had some mildew this year. But...both EDM and MB have always had at least one flower. The blooms have been beautiful...so far they have not balled. In fact we have had more than two weeks of very wet , warm (58-60), cloudy weather. They face west, but do not receive any sun until at least 1:00pm. I really love these two roses, and am so sorry to hear about their mildew problems on the West Coast.

This post was edited by barbjo on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 13:43

• michaelg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

barbjo, it may be the slow growth is caused by the cool summer temperatures. These roses are happy to be in the 80s to high 90s, and in such climates readily grow to 4' by 4'. Maybe they will catch up, since you probably won't ever have winter damage--that is, if you want to put up with the mildew.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I also have Edith de Murat. It is not as floriferous as my Souvenir de la Malmaison, young plant for me. However, the blooms have been equisitely beautiful.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

I grow Madame C. in a pot on my patio. I didn't give it any winter protection last year, which was one of the coldest, and she still survived, whereas I've lost two SDLM planted in the ground. I love her intoxicating fragrance and the blooms are pretty though less perfectly formed than SDLM. I haven't had any balling issues with the blooms of Madame C. Michael summed her up well!

• patrickd_nc
    9 years ago

I am very pleased with mine. It does seem shorter than Mystic Beauty. Pretty much always has a bloom on it. I love the compact size and the complex and variable shading of color. The blooms were quite large in October and a few days into November.

• barbjo8b
    9 years ago

michaelg - it looks like I should have researched Edith de Murat more thoroughly. It obviously does not get that warm here. I will see what she does next year (her second year) and if she continues to mildew badly, I may have to replace her with something that will be happier in my cooler climate.

• michaelg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I lost 'Capt. Dyel de Graville' to the hard winter. I had not replaced 'Mystic Beauty' since losing it to rosette (but I will). Mme. C and 'Kronprinzessin Viktoria', both young plants, survived with substantial cane loss but came back strong. They are about 3' wide right now with plenty of flowers. The 27-28 degree freeze last week nipped a few rose shoots, but most plants barely escaped damage for the time being.

Hi to Lori and PatrickD.

• buford
    9 years ago

Sigh, enabled again! I'm sure it's hot enough here for her, and SDLM does well here (although mine would do better in a nicer spot). I'll add it to my RU List, which is growing. I will be driving to Savannah in January and plan on a side trip to RU on my way back. I already had KPV on the list.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

Hi Michael! I found a picture of her taken this summer.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

Michael, many of your descriptions are making it tempting to pay the shipping fees for Roses Unlimited. They charge a fortune to ship here, and there is not a discount for multiple roses.

I am fascinated with SDLM. St. Anne is ok, but I would love to try the other sports.

Sammy