Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Jenny Duval

Alana8aSC
9 years ago

Hey! I was wondering if anyone grew this rose and knew where I might be able to get her. As far as I can tell no one in the US carries her. If anyone would be willing to trade suckers in the spring for something I have that might work to. Thanks to anyone who could help!

Comments (23)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

You do understand that this rose goes well beyond Napoleonic into something more closely resembling Alexander and his desire to conquer the known world.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did see it could get big, lol. Thanks for the laugh on how you worded it MG!

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

She is a beautiful rose. Mine came from Heirloom in the early 1990s but apparently she isn't one they are currently stocking. Back in the 1990s they were unsure of the correct id (whether they had Jenny Duval or President de Seze). Whatever the name, a lovely rose, and yes she excels at wandering. So sharing suckers wouldn't be a problem at any time of year. I can chop one out, and pot it up for a short time to make sure the root system is sufficient for independent growth.

There happens to be a really big sucker growing up out of the middle of a Rosa alabukensis. It looks really strange. That sucker came up this year, so next year there should be Jenny's glorious flowers popping out among the yellow flowers of alabukensis (also know as a real estate grabber).

Melissa

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Melissa that would be wonderful! Just email me for my address when your ready! Thanks! If their is anything you would like a cutting of let me know :)

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    9 years ago

I just noticed that Palatine now carries this grafted onto multiflora. I may have to get one...
    -Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenny Duval

• lynnette
    9 years ago

I sent the cuttings to Palatine for this rose and in my PNW garden she grew upright and didn't move around a lot. This rose was different than many of my other OGRs, because of the deep shading in the centre of the flowers.Here is a better photo of Jenny.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Not Jenny. Possibly President de Seze, but the petal count looks a bit low for that one.

Jenny

{{gwi:324139}}

Note the much lower petal count. Older flowers will start to turn brownish in the middle. The color variety is really quite unique.

• lynnette
    9 years ago

Alas, Mad Gallica, that is as good as it gets when you grow OGRs in sandy soil.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris Thanks for showing that, but I would actually prefer an own root instead of grafted. I've been doing own root for a while now, although she might not require as much land grafted :)

9 years ago

Found this thread again finally! I couldn't remember for whom I had the JD suckers in pots. Must be you Alana. But I don't seem to have your contact info.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Melissa let me know when she is on her way please. Thanks again, so much!

9 years ago

I didn't send her this week because we had a heat wave and she would have cooked! Next week should be cooler, but I will let you know when I mail her. You might want to delete your email addy above so all the spammers don't grab it!

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Thanks and I will. I didn't think about spammers getting it. So use to the same people I guess, thanks for the heads up and I saw where ya'll had a terrible heat wave, hope you roses are doing good. I saw where some peoples blooms on FB got fried, felt so bad for everyone :(

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Thanks for mentioning about this rose, it's lovely. I will order one from Palatine next spring.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Just out of curiousity, how big does this rose get?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

I have a question about this rose too. This is a one time bloomer, but someone mentioned that it repeat a little. Do yours repeat for you? Thanks

9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

She gets about 6 feet tall (with support). No repeat on mine which I've had since the 1990s.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the info! :-)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Does she just sucker wider and wider?

9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

She gobbles every inch of real estate not already occupied (and will even invade that!). She has a 4 to 5 foot sucker coming out of the middle of R. alabukensis. Both are about to bloom, and I can't wait to see what this will look like. Both roses have wandering tendencies, and I've been curious as to which would duke it out and win. Jenny is older and bigger, alabukensis only arrived in 2011 so it isn't a fair fight yet. But actually I haven't found Jenny's suckering a problem. My low-water style of gardening, I think, has reined her in some, and her original planting is in a corner bordered on one side by a brick path (which she hasn't been able to traverse in more than 20 years) and on another by my house, so she can only expand in 2 directions. There are some equally tenacious plants nearby that provide effective barriers to her advance, including a big crepe myrtle with quite invasive roots, typical of its clan. So I am pretty happy with Jenny. She has given me extra suckers to share with others, and I recently put more in the back area of my yard that I want colonized. Jenny is up to that task.;)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Tessiess I would love to see a photo of her (the bush) when she is in bloom

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Tessiess

I was just wondering how your heat wave was going and if you had a idea of when I should expect Jenny :) Thanks!

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Tessiess just bumping this up top so hopefully you can see :)