Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogroser

OGR and Shrub Rose Vase Life

ogroser
16 years ago

I have seen a thread here on Austin vase life. However, being rather new here, I haven't seen much on the vase life of OGRs and shrubs. You may think it strange that someone who grows a fair number of them doesn't cut many for the vase, but rather has done most bloom adoration in the garden and am usually experiencing sensory overload at rose time. In case my enthrallment gets the better of me, which in your opinion are most likely to reward me indoors next season with a few days of enjoyment on the table? Thanks. Best, Nick

Comments (19)

• stefanb8
    16 years ago

Like you, I haven't tended to cut many, preferring to enjoy them "au naturel" most of the time. However, I will say that my 'Marchessa Boccella' had good vase life compared to other OGRs I've tried; I had to pick some wide-open flowers that landed in the mud during a rain storm and was surprised when they lasted for four days. I realize there may actually be different roses circulating under this name; mine came from Sequoia.

• oath5
    16 years ago

Hi Nick! I'm so glad you've come to this place, isn't it great?

The only rose that's been mature enough for me personally to cut off blooms for enjoyment has been my Roseraie de l'Häy, and unfortunately, the blooms, having weak necks and loose form, are no good for a vase. If you cut the stem off all the way, you can float them in water, which is beautiful if cut at the right time before it goes all flat, and I found the flower lasted kinda long if left alone. I used another semi-open blossom for my prom boutonnière and by the end of the night it was rather tired, I had to take it out of my jacket because a girl's dress tore and I offered her to use the pin.

I would imagine a good deal of the chinas and teas, like the rugosas, are somewhat unfit for cutting since, it was under my impression when I had Mutabilis, that chinas shatter quickly. I could be totally wrong though, I'm assuming, but it seems to be a trait held by many of the "Eastern" remontant roses. I'm not sure how the early Hybrid Teas like La France would behave, from pictures the necks seem quite china-like.

I would also imagine that many Hybrid Perpetuals and Portlands would be good for cutting and have good vase life's since their original hybridizational purpose was to be bloom machines. Bourbons might also fall under that category as well.

Not sure about gallicas and albas, but I imagine the European class with canina blood ( Damask, Gallica, Alba, Moss, Centifolia) keep their blooms for a little bit.....

Listen to me, geez, I talk as if I know things....this is going to get me in trouble, I know it.

- Max

p.s.
    The plants you brought me are doing great by the way! Leda managed to send up a second cane. I can't wait to visit the Rosarium come May.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

If you cut them fairly tight, and condition them briefly, many of the Tea Roses and Noisettes will open slowly over several days, and provide a bouquet that changes in appearance as different blooms open.
    This does NOT work with the singles and barely semi-doubles, but if they have a fairly high petal count, they do fine.
    I had a spray of "Setzer Noisette" which went along in the motorhome when we left on our last trip. It lasted for several days, riding during the day in the bathroom sink, and gracing the table in the evening, and was enjoyed by many at the HRF Seminar in Petaluma.

Jeri

• jardineratx
    16 years ago

I don't bring in many blooms into the home...not that I don't want to, it's that most of the OGRs I am growing do not have a great "vase life". I have had pretty good luck with Archduke Charles, Maggie, Spice and Prosperity. Most of my others either shatter or have short, thin and/or nodding stems.
    molly

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Teas, of course, DO nod for the most part.
    However your mention of short, thin stems leads me to think you are likely looking at young plants.

As Tea Roses mature, their stems gain some strength and length, just as any other roses would do.
    No, they don't turn into Hybrid Teas.
    I have, however, picked 12-in stems, topped by graceful open sprays, from Teas of long-tenancy here.

Even the most stubborn adherent of moderns will turn for a second look at a mature Tea spray.
    And if cut tight, (and conditioned) such blooms WILL last reasonably well.

Jeri

• jardineratx
    16 years ago

Jeri, you're right....most of my roses are relatively young. It looks like I will be bringing in more and more blooms into the house as the rose bushes mature!!! Thanks for the insight.
    molly

• jerijen
    16 years ago

With a garden, there is always something to look forward to!

Jeri

• lori_elf z6b MD
    16 years ago

Souvenir de la Malmaison is one of the best for vase life that I've tried. I also enjoy cutting most of the other bourbons and hybrid perpetuals as well and most will last a few days if picked at the right time and can be extended with some floralife and conditioning. Some of the climbers such as Etoile de Holland and Aloha do very nicely in a vase too, though they are more modern. I love the look of gallicas and portlands and damasks too but most are short-lived for just a day or two after cutting. I find it rewarding to have a lovely bouquet even if it is perfect for only a day. Most of the Austins I grow will last several days and are better than the antiques for cutting on average. Sprays of hybrid musks are also lovely for a couple days.

• lemecdutex
    16 years ago

I've gotten good vase life out of Cramoisi Superieure by cutting and IMMEDIATELY placing them in water, then recutting under water. Done that way, they last 3 days, pretty good for a China, and about as long as they would last on the bush. The recutting under water is very important for thin-stemmed roses like Chinas. Also, cut at a sharp angle so that more water uptake area is available. I haven't tried that much of others, but when I lived in Florida I had Cramoisi in bloom all year round, so had plenty of practice on it (before I learned to do that recutting I was lucky to have them last 3 or 4 hours).

--Ron

• cemeteryrose
    16 years ago

I've had a gorgeous bouquet of Lady Hillingdon and Regulus (both teas) on my kitchen windowsill for several days, treated as Jeri and Ron described, with twelve-inch stems that were recut under water. It's so graceful that it takes my breath away each time that I walk into the kitchen. The flowers are at eye level so it's fine that they nod.
    Anita

• linrose
    16 years ago

I second Souvenir de la Malmaison and Lady Hillingdon. I'd also add Devoniensis and Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux. I like to cut them this time of year when I'm not in the garden as much to appreciate them and frost threatens to crisp the remaining blooms. I often use a brandy snifter type of vase so even short stemmed roses look lovely in a bouquet. Even when they dry they are so pretty and "antique" looking as the colors fade - I hesitate to throw them out until they shatter completely.

• sunnync
    16 years ago

I have 5 old teas in my no spray garden. I enjoy cutting flowers for the house---otherwise, I would have all Knock Outs. My favorite for cutting is Barronne Henriette de Snoy. Long, strong stems and lasts almost a week if cut early. Mrs. BR Cant does fairly well also if cut early. She blooms constantly. Mrs. Dudly Cross lasts well but bloom is sparce for me. Gen. Galleni lasts well, but is not very pretty. All these do not nod. Francis Dubruil looks like velvet, but has short stems and does not last long. These wonderful teas are so carefree. Some get no blackspot and some get a little but are not bothered by it except F Dubreul.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Well, but "F. Dubreuil" is probably a Hybrid Tea (Barcelona). So it stands to reason it wouldn't "do" as the real Teas do.
    :-)

Jeri

• ogroser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of the comments. The gist I am getting is that roses that are mostly double to fully double in particular, should do well in the vase for probably 3 or more days if cut early (as they begin to open). The second point that I got was to submerge them in water immediately, and recut them under water soon after, preferably with a flower extender in the water. Singles and semi-doubles are less likely to be accomodating. I can now dream of bouquets like those on the covers of my old "Roses of Yesterday and Today" catalogues. Best, Nick

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Yes indeed Nick.
    A couple of things:
    I would not submerge the bloom head. Just the stem and foliage. In warm water, after re-cutting the stem.
    A flower extender -- well, I don't know how much good they REALLY do.
    Some things I have heard suggested include 7Up and cheap Gin.
    Cheers!

Jeri

• cemeteryrose
    16 years ago

I gave up 7Up and cheap Gin shortly after college graduation.

Oh, wait - Jeri meant to use it for the ROSES! LOL!
    Anita

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Personally, Anita, I prefer Sheep Vodka.

Jeri

• ogroser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jeri - I think I will drink the 7up and save the good Gin for the Memorial Day OGR Party here with tonic. I've heard that quinine is part of a good malaria preventative, and here in the "South" we can't be too careful about contracting the disease. We do grow china and tea roses here - so it must be the "South". I do love the scent of my tea roses and red chinas. Best, Nick

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Nick, you come out to California some time, and we'll teach you how to make "Rose Growers." :-)

Come out in May for the Celebration Of Old Roses, and we'll teach you about Rose Growers, and then take you to the Celebration.

Jeri