Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Pruning Species Roses

Kippy
9 years ago

First off. I HAVE to stop and take a photo but.........

The new development that I find interesting in a nutty gardening way planted what looks like dozens of native type species roses that have been happy. Pink blooms, suckers galore and wonderful red hips were rippening until last week when they got pruned and the suckers weeded out. Only rather than maybe take a hedge trimmer to keep them off the sidewalks some one had them pruned on the sides and them rounded the tops. It looks like a half a block of odd giant broccoli statues.

Now maybe there is a reason for it.... But I notice they stopped or were stopped before they reached the next section.

Amazing

Other than "no clue" any one have any guesses what or why they did that to them?

Comments (8)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

The hired "gardeners" around here do that to any shrub that doesn't run away - trim the sides, and make the top round. No idea what they are doing, nor do they care what kind of shrub it is - just appear to be aiming for "neat and tidy".

Jackie

• roseseek
    9 years ago

That's called "clean up" and it is what the basic instructions are in many instances. You see it frequently on "Crimes Against Horticulture - When Bad Taste Meets Power Tools". Billy Goodnick has a regular presence with this on Face Book. Some of the photos he shares are terrible, but the captions are great. The wrong things are often planted in the wrong places and no one really knows what to do with them, so they "clean them up". Terrible, to be sure, but that's what it frequently done. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: When Bad Taste Meets Power Tools

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kim. Billy is a local so I have been waiting on him to add this to his blog

But boy is it funny.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh dear. The very nature of species roses militates against rampant pruning. None of these roses will see a pair of secateurs in their native setting...and yet, winds, rain and snow, along with grazing animals, will naturally keep them in good health. I am not intending on doing anything with mine apart from admiring the rampageous growth...but then again, I am not growing these rosey despots anywhere where unwary passers-by are likely to end up in A&E.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

"Crimes Against Horticulture - When Bad Taste Meets Power Tools".

That's exactly what I thought of.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I couldn't stop laughing. The captions to all these horticultural horrors are so hilarious. These pictures made me feel so much better about the natural messiness of my garden. You have to wonder about the mindset of people who create these tortured specimens. I do believe nature scares them; no Sierra Club members here.......

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

To quote Melissa from Italy on another thread: "Tidiness is the curse of those on a quest for beauty".

Jackie

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thankfully, I don't suffer from that level of anal retentiveness in my own garden! The only times I prune species and close species hybrids are to either rejuvenate them so I observe significant new growth and its beauty, or to move and replant them. Very seldom, particularly out in the old Newhall garden, I would have to whack something to the ground to eliminate a rat's nest or something. Otherwise, I leave them pretty much to their own devices. Kim