Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Will I love 'Emmanuella de Mouchy'?

luxrosa
12 years ago

I love 'Susan Louise' ( a Hybrid Gigantea) for her lovely huge pink blossoms, and bushy growth habit.

-great good health (in our area)

but the size of the plant daunts me, too much of a good thing. c. 25'+ tall and 18' wide. Plus I wish she had a few more petals.

I often look through nursery lists to see which Tea and Tea-Noisettes are available, because they are my favorite types of rose and I came across the name of a cousin of the Tea-Nosettes named

"Emmanuella de Mouchy" 1922 Nabonnand.

bred from Rosa gigantea X Lady Waterlow which makes it

1/2 R. gigantea, the wild ancestor of all Old Garden Tea roses; 1/4th a Noisette and 1/4th H.T.

Because it is from the early 1900's I'd expect the blooms to show much of the sublime grace of a Tea rose.

the photos on helpmefind.com show a pink rose bloom, that is very double, foliage appears clean in the photos but I live in the land of powdery mildew and I don't spray.

Does anyone here grow this rose? or have seen it in person and admired it?

-is it fragrant?

-prickly or smooth stemmed? I'd like to grow it by my patio on a garden shed near a pathway.

-mature size?

-is rebloom good in a warm climate?

Susan Louise blooms through all 4 seasons where I live near San Francisco, does Emmanuella de Mouchy' bloom as often?

love to you all,

Luxrosa

Comments (6)