Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

After The Rain

All right, it only rained one half inch a while ago, which would probably reduce people to gales of laughter in certain parts of the tropical world, but in a near-desert plants sit up and take notice. Annoyingly, quite a few roses have begun to mildew now that it's finally become cooler, but overall the garden looks less desolate. It's a great mood lifter to see greener plants and more color.

{{gwi:325086}}

{{gwi:325087}}
There's a bit more color now

{{gwi:325088}}

{{gwi:325089}}
Pink Rosette

{{gwi:325090}}
Le Vesuve

{{gwi:325091}}
Irises in November

{{gwi:325092}}
Le Vesuve is still in bloom

{{gwi:325093}}

{{gwi:325094}}
Potter & Moore, a favorite early Austin Rose

{{gwi:325095}}
Aunt Margy's Rose is still struggling to regain her leaves

{{gwi:325096}}
Mme. Cornelissen

{{gwi:325097}}
Potter & Moore on the right fronting Souvenir de la Malmaison

{{gwi:325098}}
Marie Pavie is blooming more now

{{gwi:325099}}

{{gwi:325100}}

Some pretty rose blooms

Souvenir de la Malmaison- I never, ever tire of this rose

Comments (29)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Ingrid - Your roses are gorgeous! I just love the Pink Rosette bloom and I can understand why you love SDLM. Mine are just getting started, but I love them so far. Love Mme Cornelissen too, love them all really! Always look forward to your pictures, thanks for sharing.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I'd take a little mildew, if it came with a half-inch of rain. It may not sound like much to some, but I, and my neighbors would thank Providence on our knees for it.

At our neighborhood evening "meeting" out in the Lane tonight, we all whined about the drought and associated troubles. It hurts to let loved plants die.

Jeri

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Ingrid I'm so glad you finally got some rain. Half an inch makes our roses here in Texas perk up too!

I love SDLM, too!
    ogrose

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Ingrid! It was only nasty, gray and quite chilly here today. Kim

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It didn't rain today here either, it was actually 2-3 weeks ago when we had the half inch of rain and immediately after that it was back up in the high eighties and dry as dust, but the rain still made a difference. I threw on more mulch right after the rain to keep the moisture in and sprinkled each plant to keep it moist. I also made holes in some water-filled plastic bottles and put them under the roses. It was all extra work but it seems to have helped. Still, we need rain SOON!

Thank you, Sara-Ann and ogrose. I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Jeri and Kim, did you not get any rain a few weeks ago? I remember hoovb saying she also had half an inch at that time.

Ingrid

• floweryearth
    9 years ago

REALLY love every pic... but I am STUNNED by your Aunt Margy's rose!!! Now I want one! :)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Ingrid ... My garden actually got 3/4-inch in that little storm. It was wonderful.

Jeri

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Yes ma'am, we got half an inch then. Right now, it's misting rather heavily. Not really "rain", but enough to foul up windshields and your glasses as well as making the front brick steps slippery. Kim

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Glad you folks in the south got some rain. Wishing you more!

Rosefolly

• L G
    9 years ago

Ingrid, I am relatively new to this site but have been reading many posts lately where you have commented on (doing research ðÂÂÂ). I've been trying to picture your garden all along and now that I've seen the pics I must admit that it is truly lovely with a beautiful setting! I am especially taken with the beautiful boulders and Potter & Moore which I've not seen pictures of before. Hope you still have some good showers ahead and thank you for sharing!

• L G
    9 years ago

Ingrid, I am relatively new to this site but have been reading many posts lately where you have commented on (doing research ðÂÂÂ). I've been trying to picture your garden all along and now that I've seen the pics I must admit that it is truly lovely with a beautiful setting! I am especially taken with the beautiful boulders and Potter & Moore which I've not seen pictures of before. Hope you still have some good showers ahead and thank you for sharing!

• tin002524
    9 years ago

wowww...thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: ��

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I would hestitate clicking that link above

Ingrid. Glad to see your garden rebounding

Original Author
    9 years ago

floweryearth, Aunt Margy's Rose is available at Rogue Valley Roses. It's a polyantha but against a wall has grown to over six feet and the flowers have an old rose fragrance. It was much prettier before the drought but it's still soldiering on. I would never want to be without it.

Liezel, thank you so much for your kind comments. Due to the drought the garden is not at all what it used to be but thankfully the boulders and surrounding hilly landscape haven't changed, except to look drier. If we're fortunate enough to have adequate winter rain I'm hopeful that spring will show a lot of improvement in the garden. That goes for all of us here who are in the same situation.

Ingrid

• kater17
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Everything looks lush and gorgeous. I would never have known there was a drought! I love that Aunt Margy 's Rose too -very sweet! Thanks for sharing!

• floweryearth
    9 years ago

Ingrid,

Yes, I have looked at the Aunt Margy's Rose on Rogue's website quite a few times and considered getting one.

The reason I held off was because I wasn't sure if it would turn out to not have consistently double blooms with an old rose fragrance.

If I am using the term correctly, I think you have "enabled" me for 'Aunt Margy's Rose', 'Le Vesuve', 'Mme. Cornelissen', and the well-loved 'Souvenir de la Malmaison'.

I love how the architecture of your home pairs with your garden.

Thanks

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I wish my roses were half as nice and I'm getting all the rain anybody could ever want...

...I especially like that oriental bowl with the cute little stool it's resting on... quite effective and appropriate...

..the landscape puzzles me...it must be good for wine as well as roses I imagine..

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

The bouquets and porcelain are just beautiful. Glad to hear that you got some rain.

Your SDLM looks wonderful, I can see why you are so fond of it.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Woooooo weeeeer beautiful!!! Wish I had that bouquet right now!! Judy

Original Author
    9 years ago

This little bouquet of Potter and Moore and SdlM is a thank you for all your kind comments. Growing roses wouldn't be remotely as pleasurable if I didn't have this wonderful group here to share them with.

floweryearth, Aunt Margy's Rose always has those very double flowers and they are always fragrant. The only drawback to this rose is that sometimes the flowers will ball, but never all of them, and you will still see many open flowers on the bush. I can't tell you how proud I am to have been your "enabler" for a number of roses and I hope they will all do wonderfully well in your garden.

kater, Krista and prettypetals, thanks so much for your enthusiastic praise. Krista, I suppose your garden is winding down due to the cold. I so much hope you won't have a severe winter to contend with again.

Marlorena, that was very acute of you to speculate that this might be wine country. The neighbor across the street just put in about 100 acres of grapevines. They take much less water than the orange and avocado groves that are so common here.

I collect antique porcelain and the bowl is circa 1880. The funerary clay figure is probably about 1800 years old, excavated from a tomb, although my main focus of interest is the 18th century.

{{gwi:325104}}

Ingrid

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..fascinating Ingrid, thank you.. and lovely roses once again...

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I just love your yard and never tire of pictures of it. It poured here on Thursday this week. Even if it was just in the morning, it was still very welcome. Now comes the tule fog...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for looking again, Marlorena. You've been so appreciative and supportive. By the way, your picture of Kew Gardens on another thread was beautiful.

mustbnuts, of course you know you're just encouraging me to post more. I wish everyone here would post pictures of their gardens frequently, but so far that hasn't happened. Since you mention the tule fog, are you perhaps in the Sacramento area? I lived there for five years and I well remember how depressing that never-ending fog was. So glad you had rain; we could all use that.

Ingrid

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I hope you won't have to resort to growing Cactus, Ingrid, but according to this BBC report, you might have no choice...

..blame the Almond growers...

very best wishes...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30052290

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm more than ready to blame those darn almond growers, Marlorena. Anything that takes that much water should not be grown here. I love almonds myself but would gladly do without them in order to save water that we can't afford to waste on water-guzzling crops.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Have you noticed the green after the rain? Little green weed blades of grass in the fields, tiny California poppies in the brick walk way (have to pull those)) and all of the other "weeds" that woke up with the rain. The naked lady bulbs are putting up some green, the watsonia bulbs are sprouting as well. I am looking forward to the daffs coming up too

With a rather random chance of rain later this week, I raced today to haul 6 truck loads of trashcans filled with the county free mulch to try and make that possible rain last a bit longer.

The Tea garden is looking good for the baby teas. So far 'Rainbow' is doing well and mom is enjoying how this unloved part of the garden is looking. Amazing what a bit of rain can do for the spirit

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 years ago

Elegance everywhere!

Trish.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I like Almonds too Ingrid... I'm beginning to think perhaps I shouldn't be eating them although it seems most go to China..

hope you get some rain soon...

kippy,
    I notice you have 'Rainbow' ... this was one I had on my list although I didn't get it.. I would be interested to see a photo sometime if you get around to it, perhaps when it's a little older. I thought it had a nice colour to it.

• zeffyrose
    9 years ago

Ingrid--your roses are gorgeous---it was such a treat to visit your garden today-----many of my roses have been destroyed by RRD-----especially my wonderful old "New Dawn" bushes----it saddens me because I can no longer garden the way I used to---
    Love to see your Porcelain----you know how I love china of any kind-----
    Florence