Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Edith Perry

Kippy
9 years ago

I discovered this bloom in my pots today, very pretty but

Does this look like Edith Perry? The tags are still on it.

Comments (8)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I've emailed to Jill Perry, to come and look.

Jeri

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jeri

The photos I have seen show it as pink. This is very pretty, but not pink. It does not matter too much I just am curious who it is.

Now if it turns out Edith has a sport, then it is way cool...lol

This post was edited by Kippy-the-Hippy on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 21:50

• jannorcal
    9 years ago

Tea roses, when young and in cooler temperatures can show extremely variable coloration. The first time I propagated Mons Tillier, the first blooms were a pale orange sherbet type color. I thought I had a different rose, but it was Mons Tillier.
    So, I would not be surprised if this is Edith Perry. Keep an eye on it and see if it has pink blooms come spring.

• jill_perry_gw
    9 years ago

It is probably just that it's young and November. If it does it all next year, I'll give you another plant. The plant at the Heritage also shows this color, and I thought there might have been a label mixup, because it had two different tags on it when it was planted. Just in case, I'm planting another one next to it. If the first continues to look like yours, and yours does too, it may well be a sport. If both go back to pink, then it's seasonal variation, which is very common in teas.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info. It will be interesting to see if it changes or stays the same

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

When my Le Vesuve from Vintage had its first bloom I was completely convinced that I had received a different rose. I later bought three more Le Vesuve and never saw another bloom that looked like that first one. At the time I wasn't very familiar with teas but now I know better.

Speaking of teas, when I received my French import No 92 Nanjing, it had a lovely pink flower with a good number of petals. This rose has now been in the ground for over a year and I've been pinching the buds off. I finally let one develop and was so disappointed to see a homely bloom with FOUR cerise-pink petals. I know Jeri's is blooming well and I think hers is newer than mine. This morning La France had an open bloom and had five petals! Poor soil, lack of rain, changeable weather, who knows?

Ingrid

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Mine isn't in the ground yet, Ingrid -- but yes, it has bloomed well. I haven't ever seen a single bloom. I think immaturity makes a huge difference for some roses.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting updated

She has a second bloom today. This time the part that was up is pink and the part down is white.

Wonder what it will be next time?