Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jo_pyeweed

Before the rain....

There is rain forecast here for tomorrow. The storm systems which came through Northern California earlier in the month passed us by and we have received less than .15 inches of rain so far. The prediction for tomorrow is .25 inches (already down from .5 inches which was being forecast yesterday), and I hope we get it.

I thought I would save some of the roses that were blooming in the garden today by cutting and bringing them in. As a counter-jinx, I will go and wash my car :-)

Bottom row, from left to right: Bud of Lamarque, two blooms of Mary Rose, Lamarque, a bud of Princess Alexandra of Kent (this flower was the only one somewhat free of botrytis), Strawberry Hill, Crimson Sky.

{{gwi:325516}}

The four roses on the top, from left to right: Wollerton Old Hall, Young Lycidas (much smaller bloom than usual), Molyneux, bud of Gingersnap.

Here are the flowers plonked into vases. I have no skills in flower arranging. Sigh.

{{gwi:325517}}

Jo

Comments (18)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Now, that is just flat lovely!

At risk to any remaining blooms, I wish you rain. (And please, wish ME some!)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Lovely photography job plus growing those roses.

I am with Jeri, send that rain down here when you are done with it

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jeri and Kippy. Yes, indeed - here's wishing rain for everyone who needs it !

Jo

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Really lovely roses! That's a killer bloom of Wollerton Old Hall! I've only really seen it as more of a creamy white in person.

Jay

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

I love the photo of them laying on the counter in front of your windows - beautiful! And to think you have such beauties at the end of November. That makes me jealous, but your lack of rain does not and I sincerely hope you get a good amount this time. I'd gladly send you some of my lake effect snow & you could melt it down in a jiffy... ;-)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Jo, what beautiful roses! And I love your arrangements!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Just absolutely beautiful, Jo, and the first picture is a killer. I wish I could produce even a third as many roses as you have blooming right now. Lovely colors and shapes, and a treat for the eyes.

Ingrid

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jay, AnneCecilia, Seil and Ingrid - thank you all.

I also have blooms that are botched, mottled or covered in botrytis ! Most of the rose bushes are really unattractive right now - unkempt and a lot of yellow and diseased leaves. Hence no bush shots.

So the rain passed us by once again. There was rain last night and this morning to the north and south of us but we were in a dry corridor. No rain forecast for the day and a 50% chance of light rain late tonight..........

So long as there's precipitation where the reservoirs are and in the mountains, I am happy.

Now, to get out and water the garden.

- A disappointed Jo

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Superb roses...the white background sets them off to perfection..... I must try that...

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

I was so happy to see your name since you post so rarely. The roses are lovely. I think you should get a decent rain on Tuesday. All my best wishes, Pamela

• Kachana
    9 years ago

LOVE! Thanks for making me drool :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kachana, Marlorena - thanks for stopping by. I love roses against a white background - against a white fence or trellis or up a white arbor!

Hello Pamela - your wishes worked! A slow but steady rain fell late last night and earlier this morning. We collected .2 inches. Hurray! And Tuesday is looking promising for more rain. Has your pond filled up well with these rains?

Jo

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

2 inches? Wow! Here we are so far having what I would call a normal winter. The pond will probably be full by the end of December. I remember last year looking at the weather forecast day after day to see this huge ridge of high pressure keeping the moisture away. We had surprise rains in March that finally filled the pond and averted disaster.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Pamela - We got slightly less than a quarter of an inch. 2 inches would have been great.

Glad to here that your pond is likely to be full by the end of the year!

Jo

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Jo, those are so beautiful. You are a far better flower arranger than I. I picked a lot of bouquets also in anticipation of precious rain...Tuesday is predicted to be the big day here. Fingers crossed!

Pamela--a full pond soon, awesome!!!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I'm another one who is anxiously waiting for the promised Tuesday rain. I'm going to get soil amendment today to put around the roses so the rain can water it all in. Hope my plans don't jinx the rain!

Ingrid

• jerijen
    9 years ago

We had nothing measurable from this last rain. I am surely hoping for better, starting tomorrow.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Wow look at that! Really lovely blooms. Lamarque buds are wonderful. I always see pictures of the open ones. Hope to see a full grown one in bloom one day.

We had just a touch of rain but it washed the trees so I feel good. Just after the rain, we went walking in the clean moist cool air. Rainy air smells great.

Funny stories of thanksgiving are on the cooking page if you need a smile.