Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

One of my favorite Foundlings

jerijen
9 years ago

A rose that is both beautiful and tough -- "Louise Avenue White Hybrid Tea."

It is very likely 'Snowbird,' but whatever you call it, it's a wonderful rose.

Jeri

Comments (25)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Jeri! I'm glad it's doing so well there. Kim

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Very pretty, I really like the darker shadings in the middle. I'm not a fan of modern hybrid teas, but this one has a charming more old rose look.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm very torn on this one. Can't help thinking, it may be 'White Ensign,' an old (1925) McGredy HT -- What EVER it is, it is wonderful.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Wow it's beautiful whatever it is!!!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is beautiful, and smelly, and disease-free here, and I really do love it.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Catspa, can you give me a closeup of one of your buds?

Like this:

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I thought Jesse Hildreth was the creme de la creme of white roses for me, and now here's another one that seems made for my climate and is almost equally beautiful. Jeri, you're very hard on people who are trying to downsize their gardens when you present one beautiful rose after another. Thankfully not all are in commerce, but I have a feeling this one might be.....

Ingrid

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes , ingrid, this may still be in commerce. I'm honestly surprised it's not better known.

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

Below are some shots of the buds from spring of last year, Jeri, when we were trying to connect Snowbird to another unknown from SoCal. (bonus aphids!) I can get more timely ones tomorrow morning.

Snowbird does cope well with heat, Ingrid, and has been a trooper in the drought, despite being planted in a way-less-than-prime spot in my yard.

{{gwi:257468}}

{{gwi:257466}}

{{gwi:325569}}

{{gwi:325571}}

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank Catspa. That's a match, I'd say. And Jill Perry says they have the two planted together at the Heritage.

I DID rather want it to be 'White Ensign,' but you don't always get what you want. :-)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I understand the sentiment, but period descriptions stated while they were similar, Snowbird actually GREW, White Ensign didn't. Kim

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, that's interesting, Kim. I didn't know that.

And that explains why 'Snowbird' survives here in the U.S., while 'White Ensign' does not.

Jeri

• zeffyrose
    9 years ago

I love any rose that is hardy----fragrant and beautiful---this white rose seems to be all three
    Florence

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it does.

And look! Look at its pedigree! (I'm an old dog breeder. I look at pedigrees to give me clues as to what the offspring will be.)

It is Chastity x Louise Crette.

Chastity is of un-recorded parentage ... but Louise Crette ...!!!

She was Frau Karl Drushki x Kaiserin August Victoria, CL.

(CL!!! That may be why this bush rose almost wants to climb!)

Her breeding is absolutely REGAL.

Merveille de Lyon; Frau Karl Druschki (again); Safrano; Madame de Tartas; Mme. Caroline Testout; Lady Mary Fitzwilliam; Coquette de Lyon; Baronne Adolph de Rothschild . . .

So, look -- only two nurseries are listed as carrying her: Burlington Rose Nursery and Rogue Valley Roses . . .

I don't know how she does elsewhere, but if you're in California -- SHEESH! It's a no brainer . . .

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

It seems to be a rose that collects study names, an indicator of how wide a survivor it is. At SJHRG, it is there also as "Rockville Road Cream" and as a "yellow clone" that shows more yellow in the center, like in your photo, Jeri.

Whenever I visited SJHRG, all plants of it were frequently in bloom and looking good, which is why I got mine.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very interesting, Catspa ... Tho not surprising. I have a huge preference for survivors. And Louise Ave. Recently survived tough times in my own garden. This is the sort of rose you want, in drought times.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Jeri, you said "I don't know how she does elsewhere, but if you're in California -- SHEESH! It's a no brainer . . ."

Hey- I'm not in CA, but I'm willing to try!

Actually, after sorting out my baby roses and lugging them onto the back porch or (just a few) inside, I'm not in my usual acquisitive state of mind! There should be a law against our having freezing temps before winter even starts. I can't remember that ever happening here before...

And, yes, I would like some cheese with that whine...!

Virginia

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't blame you for the whine. We, after all, are whining copiously about the drought.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Very pretty rose.

I feel for all of those in the cold, it was 6 degrees the other day when chatting with a friend. Motors with special antifreeze were still starting to freeze.

I am getting things done in hope of rain, but it looks like a slim chance for us this week. I wish rather than the weather reports holding out hope they would report a 94% chance of no rain.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

If it's not one thing, it's another. At least I'm not in Buffalo...

Virginia

• roseseek
    9 years ago

No offense to anyone from, in or near Buffalo, but remember the line from Chorus Line? "Buffalo, where suicide is redundant". Kim

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Ouch, Kim! I've never been to Buffalo, but did drive through Upstate NY on my way to Canada, and that area is too, too gorgeous in the summer. I'll take a pass on the shivery, shovel-y winter stuff, though...

We survived our freeze pretty well- it might have dipped into the 20's here, but there wasn't much ice on the bird baths when I went out to put hot water in them, so I'm not sure. We do tend to have slightly milder weather than surrounding areas, and I am grateful for that. It still isn't above freezing yet, but the sun's coming up, so that should change.

Virginia

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I lived there for three years, and it cemented my hatred of Winter. Compared to "back home on Long Island" there was an extra month of it, and once snow season started, there was a little more coming down every night. It would be pretty for a visit, or in a picture, but for me it quickly became my nightmare.

But the people there sure did make the most of their Summers...

:-)

~Christopher

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"I wish rather than the weather reports holding out hope they would report a 94% chance of no rain."

--- I couldn't agree more.

Everytime I hear them say:
    "20% chance of light drizzle. . . "

I know that what they are REALLY saying is:
    "80% chance that you will be dry as old bones."

And it is very discouraging.