Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
damask55linen

Your Top Five for 2015 ?

damask55linen
9 years ago

In December I bet Rogue Valley will send me an email they would love to help me give myself some presents.
4 are already coming from Burling, all I really want for Christmas is Gloire de Dijon and maybe Great Maidens Blush.
Last year I binge bought 12 roses, then the apartment property manager said " No digging ! " to me and the dog. In a panic I parted with 10 roses to friends and family's yards. My close neighbor took 3 , so the top five favorite roses I can still water and pluck the caterpillars off.
This coming year if I have the strength a small raised bed is going in the back yard and then I better just try to be content
unless
just out of curiosity
What is on your buy list this coming Spring?

Comments (22)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

OK, lets try this again. My computer seems to be having a major temper tantrum today.

I just finished my order so this question couldn't be more timely.

1. Lady Emma Hamilton (I am so excited to be getting this rose!)
    2. Mary Magdelene
    3. Sister Elizabeth
    4. Lady of Shalott
    5. Alnwick Rose

Took me a while to decide and I wish someone had Boscobel on its own root, but that is not to be this year. Doubt I will have room for it next year. So that is it! I can't wait!

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I don't know how many I'll actually end up getting, but the five roses I'm most interested in acquiring next year are:

1. Mlle. Blanche Lafitte
    2. Cafe (I tried for one this Spring, but Burling mentioned it wouldn't be ready till Spring 2015)
    3. Blanc de Vibert
    4. Xiang Fen Lian
    5. Larry Daniels

Unfortunately they're all spread out at different nurseries all across the country, but I'll try to get two or three. Cafe I will definitely be getting.

Jay

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I've just ordered:-
    Tipsy Imperial Concubine
    Belle Lyonnaise
    and Souvenir de Francois Gaulin

the first two are for growing under glass... I think they will need the extra heat here, and wouldn't want them to get wet...

..I wonder if I've got room for another...

This post was edited by Marlorena on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 5:14

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

Two years ago we made a huge order of about 80 roses that we're still digesting; we plan on collecting suckers of a lot of established roses of varieties of which we have only one plant, repeating a successful experiment of a year ago; and we have a lot of hedging to do, working away at the architecture of the garden, and a lot of plants purchased or propagated at various times to get in the ground, each plant needing its own individual hole dug. Ufff! So, no new roses on order.

But there are the ones I have in the back of my mind that I'd like to have, to try, even though they may not make it into the garden anytime soon, perhaps ever:
    'White Wings'. I had this in Washington state and continue fascinated by it.
    'Star of Persia'. Bred by the Rev. Pemberton, a Foetida hybrid. I've never seen it. I'm interested in Foetida crosses in general, there are 'Lawrence Johnston' and 'Le Reve' for example.
    The Barbier ramblers in general. The ones I know are so graceful, I'd like to have more. Currently in the garden we have 'Alberic Barbier', 'Edmond Proust', 'Francois Poisson', and 'Leontine Gervais'. I stupidly lost 'Albertine' a while back. I would quite like to have 'Alexandre Girault', which is darker than many and has as one of its parents 'Papa Gontier', which is good in our garden. Also 'Francois Juranville', which I thought I had but which turned out to be something that looks very much like rootstock (on a rose that came ownroot: something strange there).

And of course I hope that DH and live and are healthy long enough to rebuild my collection of warm climate roses from scratch, because what we've done so far has to a considerable extent failed; and I can say the same for the Hybrid Musks.

There are a lot of interesting climbers, too.

Melissa

• shopshops
    9 years ago

I'm having to curb my rose lust in 2015 due to dwindling space in my garden. I also want to add several perennials to avoid a mono-culture.
    Nevertheless, in the spring one must have new roses!!

Already on order from Burlington Roses:
    Martine Guillot
    Bolero X 2

My Wishlist from David Austen
    Sophie's rose X 2
    Young Lycidas
    Boscobel
    Maid Marian

The Antique Rose Emporium (From my wishlist)
    Crepuscule
    Madame Issac Pereire

Replacements for early losses
    Heirloom Roses:
    Pink Peace
    Wild Edric

JP Roses:
    Pure Perfume
    Tournament of roses

Fall 2014 order for Spring 2015 delivery from Palantine Roses:
    Tineke
    Martine Guillot
    Eden
    Poseidon

Rogue Valley Roses Waiting List
    Renae

These roses represent the end of my rose buying. I will only purchase replacements after this.Yet, I'm still very curious to see what others will be getting in 2015.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

^Gosh...I'd like a few of those... like you I also grow perennials to accompany my roses, and just on that subject a moment, I'm delighted to be trying Rudbeckia 'Henry Eilers' for next season... really looking forward to a few clumps of that...

Melissa,
    I love those Barbier ramblers... in my last garden I grew Leontine Gervais, Francois Juranville and earlier also my favourite of these 'Alexandre Girault'.... here is a photo of AG growing up an arch, with an old Bourbon called 'Mme Lauriol de Barny'... this photo is from about 1993...so not the best quality..

..the yellow creeping into shot in the background is Graham Thomas...the White in front is part of a hedge of Iceberg and I think a pink rose just showing in the back there is from 'Agatha Incarnata'... difficult to see that..

hope you like it and that you get this lovely rambler for yourself...

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

My top 5 and what I will for sure be planting are:

Duchesse de Brabant
    Mrs. Dudley cross
    Belinda's dream
    Tamora
    Munstead wood

I am still trying to plan my new bed and would like to add:

Mrs. B. R. Can't
    Thomas affleck
    Barronne prevost
    Crepuscule
    Alnwick or strawberry Hill

But of course that list is always subject to change and I'm sure it will many times lol.

• ffff
    9 years ago

I don't expect anyone to want this combination of roses in their garden, since this list has nothing in common but health, but here's a peek into my breeding plans for next year.

Just received:
    Blush Damask
    Bonica
    The Burgundian Rose
    Nightmoss
    Pickering Four Seasons
    R. carolina
    R. palustris
    Rose de Rescht (to give as a gift)

On the way:
    Adelaide Hoodless
    Annie Laurie McDowell
    Bullata
    Empress Josephine
    Jacques Cartier
    Lynnie
    R. corymbifera 'laxa'
    R. blanda
    R. pomifera
    R. virginiana plena
    Roemers Hip Happy

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I have nothing on order for spring since that's not a good time to plant roses here; the hot summer is too close and the plants don't have time to grow enough before the heat stresses them.

This fall I ordered a number of roses, which I know I've already mentioned, and all are planted except for two more Souvenir de la Malmaison, which are due to arrive shortly. I'm trying desperately to decrease the number of roses and overall have succeeded, but the numbers seem to be creeping upward again. Still, 54 is better than 93 and I WILL NOT order any more.

These are the new roses acquired or ordered recently:

Souvenir de la Malmaison (two)
    Charles Rennie Mackintosh
    Mme. Antoine Mari
    Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux (two)
    Madame Lambard
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Baronne Henriette de Snoy

Marlorena, I'm gobsmacked (great English word that) by your gorgeous previous garden. Is your present garden fairly new?

Ingrid

• tuderte
    9 years ago

I was hoping that I could plant my roses in November instead of next March - here, too, it gives them a better chance of establishing before our normally long, hot and arid Summers. However, Summer this year was neither long, hot nor arid and now it's been raining for almost two weeks without a break and the ground is too sodden to plant anything so it looks as if I'll be planting in Spring.

These are the roses I had delivered at the end of October - all are own root -

Mme. Hardy
    Ophelia
    Gruss An Aachen
    Gruss An Coburg
    Jude the Obscure
    Abraham Darby
    Gentle Hermione
    The Shepherdess

I'm trying to wean myself off the Austin roses but they just keep creeping back into my orders ...

Tricia

• damask55linen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow ! some truly great choices.
    Does everyone that can't order an armload feel sufficiently tortured yet?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

fffff. A tip for ALMD, she likes partial shade and not too hot. I moved mine because I thought it was getting too much shade and even an extra hour of sun was not what she liked

• ffff
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kippy. I live in the shadow of a redwood tree. Nothing but crabgrass and berry bushes seem to like the combination of shade and drought, and I've removed most of the berry bushes, so there's plenty of cool & shady room for her to take over.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

All these lovely roses people are getting...makes mine seem puny... but I'm looking for a couple more Austins so good to see what everyone has here...

Ingrid,
    well..thank you...I'm glad you like it... it was a long time ago and I had a really big garden then with many varieties...5 arches and every tree had a rose...
    ... yes my garden now is fairly new, much smaller and a work in progress and in a very, modern area... Mutabilis was the first I put in when we got here...but it suits Austins very much...
    ...everyone grows them in their front gardens and I try not to replicate theirs... so I keep having a peep..

..I only have 28 roses so far I think... but I might fit in another half dozen before I max out...

..it's such a pleasure to look at other peoples gardens from all over the world... especially here as the U.S. has such a varied climate and I marvel at all the intricacies of it...and what folks have to deal with... those from PNW might have similar climate to mine..

kind regards,

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I'm another one with little or no space--and running short on energy these days also. I sure do miss the multiple orders every year--so much fun browsing rose sites and catelogs--revising lists, etc. Oh those days are gone. : (

But I am excited nonetheless over the two I've ordered for spring: Boule de Neige and Cornelia.

I will have to get a replacement Home Run for the hole in the short hedge out in front (dont' know why, but one suddenly died last summer), but I figure I can pick one up locally. Maybe there is still a miniscule of a chance that the dead one might recuperate? Will find out in the spring.

I will also have to transplant two established roses next spring--that kind of digging is getting to be too much anymore, but how else does one move a rose without digging? One shovelful at a time. : )

I planted Ghislaine de Feligonde last spring but she has bloomed yet--just lots of green growth. So I can't help but think of her as one of my new roses also--I do hope she plans on having her first blooms by then.

I just love reading about all the wonderful roses all of you are ordering. It's fun visualizing what they will look like and where I would plant them if I were ordering them. Make sure we all get to enjoy pics of them when they bloom next spring.

Kate

9 years ago

Kate, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of last year's roses as "new" when they're still too immature to bloom. I have quite a few, Dr. O'Donel Brown, No. 92 Nanjing, Wild Edric, Lady Alice Stanley, La France (the less mature of two), Hoag House Cream, Annie Laurie McDowell, Emily, Intrigue, Heirloom, Bonica, Young Lycidas and Cl. Lady Hillingdon. My gosh, no wonder my garden looks so bare!

Marlorena, I remember seeing your beautiful Mutabilis. Next spring I hope we're going to see a lot more of your garden. Even 28 (or perhaps a few more) roses can make quite a show in a smaller garden), especially when they're not popsicle sticks with flowers perched on top i.e. modern hybrid teas.

Ingrid

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

Marlorena,
    That's a lovely shot and thanks for the encouragement, not that I needed encouraging. I hope your new garden becomes equally lush and beautiful: I know it will.

We've been waging a battle for years growing roses in poor heavy gray clay. It requires tremendous amendment with organic matter, so we dig and dig and amend and amend. Not easy. When we started the garden was a couple of open fields, but even the grass didn't grow well, it was that poor. Now here and there are areas that are doing rather nicely. One place I have high hopes for is what we call the long pergola, a rebar and bamboo structure with some of the better soil, in the first part of it, in the garden. Here we have 'Clair Jacquier', 'May Queen', Francois Poisson', and (I think) 'Venusta Pendula', all growing strongly after this year's rains. There's a series of smaller roses in poorer soil further on, but I believe that they too are eventually going to take hold and grow. I'm hoping for great things next year.

Melissa

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I've got 'Cornelia' and 'Ghislande de Feligonde' mentioned above there by dublinbay.... having grown these before in my earlier garden... here I like to underplant all my roses when they are established, and they have to tolerate this, with Geranium 'Cambridge'... I love this ground coverer as it flowers from mid May to mid July, just right for the main rose season...
    here shown below with some lower branch of Cornelia...

Ingrid
    We also look forward to see all those fine roses of yours next year...I know you won't let us down... incidentally 'Wild Edric' is much planted here now, especially in public gardens that are right close to the sea as it is one of those roses seemingly tolerant of such conditions... I like the look of it very much when planted as a group...

Melissa
    I'm glad you liked the photo and I look forward to seeing some more of your roses in due course.... the ones you've mentioned there are new to me...

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I might add 'Gloire de Ducher' and 'Eugene Furst' to my list as I've had these before and miss them so much...

I got this come today...and what a lovely surprise... 4 good strong stems - I'm not cutting any of those off... and plenty of root from the graft... laxa rootstock I suppose, I'm not sure about that..

Souvenir de Mme Leonie Viennot

9 years ago

Mme. Leonie already has a perfect shape, and it's such a lovely rose. By next spring it's going to be quite large, I'm sure. It would be interesting to know if it will bloom that summer since I believe it's a climber, which can take a while to make flowers.

Ingrid

• julesinthesand2
    7 years ago

Check out this video to see some of the roses mentioned here and others that you might want to add to your list: Roses