Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Visuals to explain the appeal of Gallicas....(photo heavy)

celeste/NH
14 years ago

After waxing poetically about my ardor for the gallicas in a previous thread, I figure I owe them the opportunity to show what it is that captures our hearts. A picture is worth a thousand words, especially when it comes to stunning beauty. Words alone could never do them justice.

I love them and miss them. May the winter pass quickly!

This isn't my complete collection, just some of the photos I came across tonight.

Celeste

The 'king' of my heart, Mr. Charles de Mills......perfection itself

{{gwi:326054}}{{gwi:234280}}

Rosa Mundi.....

{{gwi:326055}}

Boula de Nanteuil....

{{gwi:326056}}

{{gwi:326057}}

Tuscany Superb.....

{{gwi:326059}}

{{gwi:326062}}

Duc de Guiche....

{{gwi:326065}}

{{gwi:326069}}

Nestor....

{{gwi:326072}}

Belle Doria....

{{gwi:326073}}

Oeillet Flamand....

{{gwi:326075}}

Jenny Duval....

{{gwi:326076}}

Pompom Panachee....

{{gwi:315850}}

Duchesse de Buccleugh.....

unknown gallica, found here in New Hampshire....

Apothecary's Rose...

Duchesse de Montebello....

Cardinal de Richelieu.....

{{gwi:296832}}

Comments (17)

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Wow! Very pretty roses. I see why you like your Gallicas so much. My next question, where did you find them all? Usually I see Apothecary Rose, Rosa Mundi, Tuscany Superb and Cardinal Richelieu. Jenny Duval and Nestor would be wonderful in my garden :)

• york_rose
    14 years ago

Celeste, which gallicas usually bloom for the longest amount of time for you?

• belmont8
    14 years ago

Wonderful pictures, though I need no convincing about Gallicas! Do you have more shots of the unknown one? I may have found that here in NE Pennsylvania.

• veilchen
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!! I only have a few gallicas but you make me want to have more.

• debnfla8b
    14 years ago

Oh gosh....I wish I could grow those!!! I can only imagine how good they smell.

Just breath taking!

Deb

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    14 years ago

Celeste, HelpMeFind surely could use your uploading these photos - many of these beautiful roses have very few pictures on HMF and yours are great! Thanks for making this thread; I really enjoyed it.

Anne

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Celeste, my heart started beating faster when I saw these pictures. They purples are beautiful in such an exotic, strange way (at least exotic to me). Other than Charles de Mills, which I've admired for years, Duc de Guiche and Tuscany Superb especially caught my eye. But they're all superbly beautiful, and thank you for putting together this wonderful assortment of Gallicas.

Ingrid

• york_rose
    14 years ago

Celeste, I agree with Anne! I have noticed your images on HMF and they're keepers!

One of the things I find especially frustrating about the images on HMF is how relentlessly they are photos of individual blossoms. So often what I most want to see are good pictures of the overall impact of the flowering shrub, you know? With antiques in particular those images can be particularly relevant.

The more of those you (& anyone else) adds to HMF the more powerful that resource becomes.

Yes, the blossoms are to die for, but if the shrub is too big, or too floppy, or, or, or.........

That information is what you gain from pictures of the overall shrubs.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

york rose....I am in complete agreement about the need for more photos depicting full shrub shots on HMF and even here. It was my intent that 2009 would be the year I would concentrate on capturing whole rosebushes in my photos, but alas, 2009 became the rainiest summer on record here, especially June. The old oncebloomers in particular, were beaten down badly from the rain and were a real mess. Certainly this season was not the ideal year
    to represent their true form. I intend to try again next year! Thanks for responding.

Celeste

• york_rose
    14 years ago

"Juneuary"

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    14 years ago

Celeste, Do you mind me asking if all gallicas are once bloomers? They look like they have some of the darker crimson/purplely color I am looking for in some english roses. You have some gorgeous roses. Thanks, Judy

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

Those are very nice. Thanks for posting.

• duchesse_nalabama
    14 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful shots, Celeste. I'm sure the fragrances are heavenly as well. Gean

• york_rose
    14 years ago

prettypetals, there are others here with far more rose knowledge than I have, but to the best of my knowledge all of the Gallicas are once-bloomers. There may be some Austins that resemble Gallicas yet are reblooming, but they will be classifed as "Austins"/"English Roses" rather than Gallicas.

• andreageorgia
    14 years ago

All I can say is - WOW!

What a terrific series of photos, Celeste - I think I need to get some Gallicas. I've been thinking about Charles de Mills, Tuscany Superb and Rosa Mundi for a while already, so maybe its time now to make a move. Your Nestor and all of the others look so beautiful, too. How's their health?

Do you also grow Cardinal de Richelieu? I'd be curious to hear more about this one since it seems to be quite a popular gallica.

One French comment ("Donald's roses garden") on HMF says that his Cardinal is very prone to blackspot and completely defoliates from August on, and that there are several different cultivars with that name in circulation ... Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks!
    Andrea

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Bump