Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

HMF garden listings

rosefolly
12 years ago

Not long ago there was a thread here urging people to list their gardens on HelpMeFind Roses. At the time there was a glitch on the HMF site and some people were unable to add their gardens.

I got a note from HMF telling me that the problem had been resolved, and I'm posting here to let anyone who was interested in adding their garden know that they can now do it.

It was actually quite easy and even fun.

Rosefolly

Comments (33)

• roseseek
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wonderful! I'm glad you found it easy and fun, and I look forward to visiting others' gardens there. Mine is below, in case anyone wishes to see what's here. Please feel free to post yours, too, so we can all enjoy seeing the roses which spoke to you, or "followed you home"! Thanks. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Roseseek's garden on HMF

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Is there a way to find photos of garden views if you don't a name of a garden to search for?

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Are you asking about public gardens or those belonging to individual people? Perhaps if you search for the member name, presuming the person signed up under their name? If you know some of the roses grown in the particular garden, you can search those using the "Gardens" tab on the individual rose pages, then browse which gardens the roses is listed in to see what seems like the one you're seeking. Kim

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

It's easy and it's fun and extremely useful. I feel like I've only scratched the surface. My garden is listed as Red Rose Ridge.

• gardennatlanta
    12 years ago

I just listed my garden as GardennAtlanta. It was pretty quick but would have been quicker if HMF didn't drop the apostrophes making Belinda's Dream into Belinda, and Darlow's Enigma into something. I had several of these and had to go back in and fix them, but it wasn't hard and really kind of fun.

I'm always a little nervous posting pictures of my garden. It's so small and clearly not in the same league as many on this forum. Still, maybe some new rose grower on a small city lot will see my efforts and be inspired.

So, if you have a small garden, post it anyway. Someone near you may be inspired by YOUR garden.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I am so happy that more people are adding their gardens to HMF! Big or small they're all important! The more information we can gather in one place the better off everyone will be in the future. Maybe saving and finding those rare beauties won't be as difficult even with the loss of so many wonderful nurseries. Thank you!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Thanks for your reply Kim. It's private gardens I'm most interested in seeing. I've looked at the beautiful photos of Red Rose Ridge several times because it was mentioned on here several months ago.

Thank you GardennAtlanta for giving the name of yours. It is lovely!

It would be nice if there was a place where they were all listed so they could be easily found and viewed.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You're welcome Roselee. One way might be to include a link to your listing as part of your posts here, as Sherry does for her blog. Perhaps, the link might be something to include on your GW page? There are some who have been blessed to be able to create substantial gardens on amazing properties, and I, too, love looking at their photos. There are many of us who don't have those resources but still grow interesting and sometimes amazing roses. These are as important for what they contain and the knowledge and enjoyment they create. I agree with Gardenatlanta that even the smallest garden can inspire and encourage someone to create their own "Eden". Size isn't as important as the pleasure and escape the garden provides. Trust me. I've created the massive rose collection and I loved it for many years. Would I ever do it again? Not without winning the California Lottery so I could hire people to do the back breaking labor I used to do for "fun". A seventh of what I used to try to take care of is more than enough for me these days, and it's looking as if it needs a 'diet'. Kim

• rosefolly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My garden is listed as Hundred Roses. There are actually only 90 varieties currently listed, but I grow a lot of multiples. When I plant the roses I have on order now It will bump back up over a hundred. My member name there is the same as here, Rosefolly.

I named my garden some years ago when I grew about a third again as many roses than I do now. I could see myself headed up to the two hundred mark, but I decided I want to grow lots of trees, fruit, veggies, bulb, and even some California natives and Mediterraneans. I've since given away or just discarded those roses that were disease prone, which is why I am so careful to inquire into the resistance of the teas I am considering right now. I'm slowly building back up a bit, but not too much. A hundred or so, give or take a dozen, is a manageable size for me.

Rosefolly

• lou_texas
    12 years ago

Thank you, Kim, for the link. I enjoyed my visit to your place. It reminded me that we don't all garden on flat or gently rolling land. And that the rose experts don't always have acres of roses.

And you are right on target when you say "Size isn't as important as the pleasure and escape the garden provides."

I don't ever expect to have anything but a small space to garden (don't really want more), but it's amazing the amount of pleasure and relaxation therapy I get from that small space.

And as for beginning rose-growers who don't have a lot of roses like some of you, which of us didn't start at the beginning with fewer than we have now? You are a very encouraging person. As are many of you. You're just what some of us who don't have rose-growing friends and family need. Lou

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Mine is under Tammy's Tennessee Garden! I love seeing what everyone else is using as their name on HMF! I didn't realize some of you are the same people! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tammy's Tennessee Garden

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

I post a link to my Helpmefind garden list on my Gardenweb member page. My garden on Helpmefind is listed under "Harbor Rose Garden."

I update my rose listing as soon as I get a new rose and delete those that I've culled, so I use it as an up to date list of my rose collection.

Here is a link that might be useful: harbor rose garden link to helpmefind

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lou, and you're welcome! Very few of us have "gardening buddies" anymore. I was blessed to have one for a lot of years and that was fun, but life changes. These forums and HMF serve that purpose very well. Thank you!

You're right, we don't all have "acres of roses" and for those who have had that, and still do, it eventually becomes a chore, like a sacred trust that becomes overwhelming. Letting that go often entails a grieving process, much like a death response, but in the long-run, it is so incredibly liberating! The acres of roses were a blessing when they existed, but not having all of that to care for, worry over and absorb the time and energy they required, liberates me for other pursuits which absorb what the acres satisfied and eventually demanded. At that time, it was difficult for me to fully understand how even just one potted plant could provide the necessary joy and escape. I'm not to the one pot yet, but I increasingly understand how not having to do things by the truckload can be stimulating and very satisfying.

Thank you to all who have listed their gardens on HMF. I agree, Gean, it's a very easy and fun way to keep up with what's outside without having to do extra work. It enables you to share your efforts and passions with others around the world via one click of a button. It will increasingly serve as the way to keep these precious plants available and permit them to survive much better than without it. I've actually searched to see who in my area has grown something I found intriguing, then contact them for their impressions of the variety. I think it's prevented me from trying a few which probably weren't worth the effort where I wanted to grow them, but mostly, it increased the desire to see what they'd do for ME and provided us both with someone else to share the love, the passion, of growing our roses. I hope all of you enabled the system to permit you to be contacted by site users who wish to pick your brain about something, or offer you their discoveries about a rose you grow. Like this forum, it can be a dynamic, living encyclopedia, permitting you endless gardening friends, only a mouse click away.

You're right, Lou, everyone begins as virgins in everything initially and many of remain virgins at many things for a long time, some forever. It doesn't matter if you've just begun growing a rose or have grown thousands for decades. The passion is the same, only experience, energy and other resources vary. There are as many reasons why we grow them as there are varieties to grow. It's just as valid to want to beautify your space with a few, select, trouble free types which are perfectly suited for your climate, time and energy as it is to want, NEED to grow and touch as many types as you possibly can. The beauty enriches your life, feeds your soul and satisfies your curiosity, and that's all that matters. I love seeing what everyone else can grow where they garden. Many aren't suitable for where I garden, and that just makes seeing yours that much more fun! Thank you! Kim

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

And don't forget to chip in to help pay for hmf- I just renewed my yearly subscription. It's a bargain at $24/year. That's $2 a month I spend to pay for my almost daily habit of looking up roses, looking at pictures posted and reading comments and articles. I am very grateful to all those that tirelessly work at improving and maintaining it.

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

This afternoon I went to look at everyone's gardens. I wasn't suprised to see that they are all unique,intersting, and beautiful. I love to see what others are doing in their gardens and what roses they are interested in. I wish that all forum members were on HMF and also that more people responded to this post.

• gardennatlanta
    12 years ago

Mendocino: You have over 1100 roses?!? WOW!

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Please feel free to make the same requests on other forums and anywhere else you frequent. Both requests...post your garden and support the site. Both extremely worthwhile endeavors. Kim

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I know, I 've really enjoyed looking at everyone's gardens too! The only thing with my garden's HMF page is that I only have 4 pictures posted. I've posted so many pics of individual roses, but I wished they all showed under the pictures of my garden, rather than just on the rose's site :( Thats the only suggestion I would have
    ~Tammy

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Tammy, it's easy to view all of your photos either by rearranging the photo listing preferences or by accessing your membership page and viewing the photos you've posted. Anyone visiting your page can do that. I just searched for "Tammy" in "Members" on HMF, selected your listing, clicked on "Member Profile", then clicked on the "Photos" tab across the top and it brought up all of the photos you've posted. They're all there and we can all view them. Thank you. It's very interesting and fun to see these plants elsewhere. Kim

• jon_in_wessex
    12 years ago

I've added my list, and a few photos - I'll try to get some more plant-specific pictures loaded, and hope for some good new garden shots next Summer instead of the boring old ones :)

Here is a link that might be useful: 'A Wessex Garden'

• mendocino_rose
    12 years ago

Thanks Jon. This will be a treat.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Thank you Kim! I wasn't aware that I could look at them (and everyone else's) that way!
    ~Tammy

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I support HMF every Jan. 1st. I do all my contributions to all my sites on New Year's Day every year. That way I don't forget to do it and I know I'm good for that year.

I've also posted the request for people to list their gardens and donate on the other garden forums I frequent. Sadly a lot of these forums are very slow now days due to more and more people gong to facebook. I don't care for facebook very much and find it isn't a very good place for rose discussions. I much prefer these dedicated forums.

My garden is easy to find on HMF under seil. My only problem is that no matter how I try I can not get it to change the date of when I last updated it. Please ignore the June 2005 date. That was the date I created my garden on HMF but I ALWAYS keep it current and accurate!

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    12 years ago

I put mine on this week. My husband said, "I had no idea you had 70 roses!" (Well, just between you and me, I actually have more than that, but some are "found" with no names yet.) Anyway, being an avid photographer, he's decided it would be a good project to document them in photos. So, I hope to have a collection of nice photos in the future. Some of them have no photos on HMF yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Catspa's Livermore Garden on HMF

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

My very small garden is listed on HMF under Madrona Grove. I use the same user name on both HMF and here.

I have convinced my local rose society to be a HMF sponsor. This is something more rose societies could do, in addition to individuals sponsoring. Our society garden is listed on HMF too, under Centennial Garden, but they only grow modern roses.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    12 years ago

Seil I use Facebook a lot, but I think there could be better pages/groups for rose lovers. There was a really neat one for antique roses which seems to have disappeared.... However, I do have a suggestion. Might the admins at HMF create a Help Me Find Roses page (or group) on Facebook? We could get together there on FB. I find it is much easier and quicker to post pictures on Facebook than here.

I find that HMF is pretty indispensible--I'm hooked!!! My garden is called Tessie's garden, and for those of you who don't know, Tessie isn't me. She was one of my dogs. She liked gardening, in her own way, mainly by digging and chewing, but I loved her in spite of her quirks.

My garden has 4 new additions which arrived in the mail from Pickering late yesterday. I'm about to go outside and plant them. Yep, they are already listed on HMF (R. primula, William's Double Yellow, Rene D'Anjou, and Soupert et Notting)--changing the date is still awkward and I can't find a way to make it appear at the top of my "Plants Grown" page like others have done.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Tessie's garden on HMF

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

Melissa.........

I don't know if any of you still maintain your rose lists in an Excel or other spreadsheet program, but when you change that list to a cvs or txt file and upload the new list, the date changes automatically.

If you don't want to update your listing this way and want to be able to change the date to reflect recent changes, I suggest you either post the request for the ability to change the date on the Q & A or send a suggestion to the webmaster using the CONTACT US information.

I have found that when site users post their requests on the Q & A it is far more effective than my passing them along to the webmaster.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lyn. I have posted this question to the Q&A section before and didn't get any response as I recall. I do keep mine in an Excel program as well. Can I just re-upload it and get the date to change? What will that do to the existing garden list, replace it?

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

Seil......

Yes you can just upload the Excel file and it will amend the date.

Often changes and enhancements to HMF happen when the webmaster is working on that part of the software. They usually go onto an "enhancement list" and it is more efficient to work on several like issues at one time than to address them in a first-come-first-served basis.

AND ... some times, it's best to remind him that this might be a pending item.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• jimofshermanoaks
    12 years ago

Just a reminder to update the garden lists on HMF. I am terribly remiss in this duty, but will try to do it on New Year's Day. Also, thanks for the suggestion that local societies adopt a donation to HMF. Considering the $$ sent to the ARS, we could probably spring a little for hmf.
    JimD

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

Jim........

There are many features on the SOCIETY listing which can create a benefit for the society and its members. The SOCIETY feature is underused.

The plant list allows the society to list all of the roses grown by members and will enable people to know what roses grow well in that climate. It's another way of keeping a record of where roses that may be lost from commerce can be found.

The Events tab is a way of letting people know of upcoming events.

On your society a link was posted to the Auction list for 2011.

If the society has rose shows, the award winning roses can be listed.

It's easy to link one member's user name to the SOCIETY page for maintenance.

I can see other future enhancements that would be beneficial to both the society and the rose world in keeping track of roses.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Thank you, Lyn. Our making better use of these features could easily be an inexpensive method of advertising plant sales, demonstrations and other events. I love your letting us know how HMF can also be used to track down roses you want more information about using the member's gardens feature with societies. Thanks! Kim

• lerosier3
    12 years ago

I have the pimpinellifoliae part of my garden listed under Rosarium Scoticum, currently we have over 172 varieties. It has been an interesting quest.