Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
titian1

Australian Heritage Rose Conference in Tasmania

A little late, but I am wondering if any posters here were at the conference. There were 3 people from California, but, stupidly, I didn't get to know any of them. And there may have been other Australians who post here? Also New Zealanders?

Trish.

Comments (4)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Trish - please tell us about the conference, and what you thought about it.

Jackie

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Were there any interesting speakers? If so, were the proceedings published?

• titian1 10b Sydney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your interest, Jackie and nastarana.
    I don't know if the proceedings have been published. I googled but only came up with the prospectus - if that's the right word. That is worth a look as an overview, and also to see where we went on the pre and post conference tours. I will get in touch with Gail Yellowley, who was a tour de force organising us all, to see if the talks have been published.
    We saw some amazing and very varied gardens. From a suburban plot in a place called Bagdad!, with an extraordinary amount crammed into it, which was my friend's (Gillian Batchen, in case any of you know her) favourite, to acreage with grand old homes, like 'Strathmore' and 'Old Wesleydale', which were my favourites. I have since the age of 10, identified very strongly with Elizabeth Bennet, and fancy myself living somewhere where Darcy might stroll around a corner! We also visited the village of Chudleigh, whose main street has been planted with Rugosas, and some carpet roses. It made me wish I had planted Rugspin with it's rich glowing crimson blooms, rather than its pale by comparison cousin, Scabrosa. The Flower Carpet rose 'Amber, was also a knockout, especially as I've never been that keen on FC's in general.
    The gardens were English in style, with lupins and poppies in abundance, and lots of hedges: box to border, and other huge hedges. Also a lot of hedgerows (hawthorn I think). And a couple of the gardens had huge walls, one built to keep out marauding Aborigens and bushrangers.
    Just to explain why some of you may know Gillian, she has been active in the Heritage Rose society in Australia for decades, and been the President at one time, and organised a conference herself (allow 4 years, she tells me), and also been to overseas conferences.
    Other names that attended the conference, were Patricia Routley, Margaret Furness, (both of whom are active on HMF) Pat Toolan (who spoke about some of her favourite roses) and Billy West, from the Tea Roses book fame. It was great to put faces to names, and I much enjoyed a few chats with Billy, who has a delightful sense of humour. She tells me she lurks here at times. And of course, David Ruston, who did some amazing flower arrangements.
    The outstanding speaker was a New Zealander called Murray Radka, who had us all both laughing and sobbing, and I mean that literally. I still sob when I remember it. He has created a garden at his property 'Brandy Hill' in New Zealand. He talked about falling in love with it when he first saw it many decades ago, planting a woodland, and discovering old roses, which were to give him some solace after the tragic death of a son.
    in addition we visited the very interesting garden of a sculptor, Folko Cooper, some of whose sculpures line roads, telling the stories of the early settlers. And a peony farm (with plenty of other crops) run by Richard Weston, a man of such energy, enthusiasm and intelligence, that I think he'd make a very good job of running the world!
    Oh, and the blooms were often twice the size of the ones in my garden. Presumably a result of the cool climate, but as Hobart is dryer than Sydney, not rainfall. Though they do get a lot of drizzle and light rain, rather than our usual downpours, so perhaps they actually get more in the ground. The blooms of the hybrid teas were often so large I didn't care for them, but the old roses looked fabulous.
    I hope this is of some interest.

Trish.

This post was edited by titian1 on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 22:03

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Thanks, an informative summary! It sounds as though you had a wonderful time.