Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rogue Valley Mystery Rose

Posted by ArbutusOmnedo 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 1:20

Hey y'all!

My mother received our Rogue Valley order -made just 6 days ago- today while I was setting in a new path. Everything arrived with no travel blemishes!
The list included some weirder roses that she loves:
Brown Velvet
Lavender Pinnochio (I've also gone ahead and preordered her a bare root Koko Loko amongst others for Christmas in case this plant just can't cut it by the coast)
Cornelia
Belle Epoque
Ambridge Rose (free)
Gilbert Nabonnand (free)
Mystery Rose

I wasn't sure if the mystery rose was just a mystery till we received it, but the tag indeed simply reads mystery. It is probably too early to tell, but do you guys have any idea as regards specific class from these pictures? I can't say I'm well versed enough to see traits through prickles or leaves, but many of you seem to! Thanks for any help or ideas you may have. Happy Holidays!

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rogue Valley Mystery Rose

This picture has some of the prickles in it.

o

Up close of a single leaf.

o

Nope -- that's not enough to tell much of anything, except that it's been in that band pot too long, and is not particularly liking those confines.. Give it a gallon size pot and then give us a pic when it blooms and maybe we can be of some help.

o

I would love to hear what people have gotten as the free mystery rose.

o

I got one back in 2011. It's pink and orange (my least favorite color in a rose). Blooms once a year, only a few flowers. Has one giant octopus cane with sparse foliage. Mildews. It's free again to anyone who wants it!

Melissa

o

I got one last spring, a lovely yellow single, very healthy foliage. Thought it might be Harrisons Yellow, but it is a very good repeat bloomer. Wish I had a photo of it....really like it. Got another one - looks like it might be a gallica as it suckers, bloomed a few pretty pink blooms in spring but nothing since. Both are very healthy - looking forward to getting them planted after Christmas. Will get photos and post when they bloom - would really enjoy knowing what the yellow one is.
Judith

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 21:11

One convenient thing about Rogue Valley Roses and their mystery roses is that after you've had them growing a year, you can use their website's advanced search option to narrow down the possibilities. See the link below, and pick characteristics which apply to your rose (hold the OPTION key down to select more than one per field), ignore any which you don't know (such as class, ultimate size, etc.) and click SEARCH. If you still don't find what you think you've got, keep in mind that many of their newer inventory hasn't had descriptions added, and so you can then try going through their (long) alphabetical list. Either way, cross-reference on HelpMeFind. I figured out that one of my "unofficial" mystery roses was 'Belle Story', which was actually labeled 'Zitronenfalter', and was SUPPOSED to be 'Zephirine Drouhin'.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Advanced Search at RVR

o

Thanks for the tip. I have a couple of mystery roses from RVR, too, and tried to find out from them what I got instead of the two Marianne I got but had no reply. Someone here in Sweden thought they might be Mary Rose but I will search further.

o

I went ahead and potted up all the new bands to gallons.

So the mystery roses aren't necessarily other free rose options that the buyer didn't pick? I had assumed it would work like that, but that's a bit more exciting if they could be any rose Rogue Valley has in stock. I just hope I didn't get a Gallica or some other rose that has no shot here in zone 10/24. However, I would guess they're pretty good about that.

Jay

o

I think that RVR uses roses from which the tags have been lost in their own stock as their "mystery roses." I have also noticed that they have a penchant for sending roses where the writing has "almost" worn off of their tags, so I suspect that has actually happened to them a good deal in their own stock.

So, really, it could be anything on any of their lists, or actually, anything they were thinking about adding and never got around to actually adding.

It is definitely not just the "free roses." Those Identities are known -- they just had more success in growing them than in selling them, hence their presence on the "free" lists.

I think a lot of the roses they use as freebies are once bloomers that are pink, as they are the hardest to id, and I have several of those that I have received from them over the years. I have no use for pink once-bloomers, and they have been tossed.

o

Here is a picture of my RVR mystery rose. Even though its still in a 3 gallon pot, it gave me several blooms in late October. I really like it - clear, nonfading yellow. Its not a mini.....anyone care to take a guess? I have asked RVR before about mystery roses and sent a photo but never had a reply. I would really like to know what this one is.
Judith

o

Judith, that might be 'Sunny June.'

o

This is one of two mystery roses from RVR, ordered as Marianne. Perhaps someone has an idea what it might be?

o

This is the other mystery rose that is NOT Marianne either. I know it is almost hopeless to name them as they are both a generic pink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here