Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anthi_greece

Comte de Chambord

Hello,everyone.I'm a new member from Greece.I would like your opinion on something. I've bought a bare root Comte De Chambord and I want to plant it next to my new WS2000 which I also bought bare root.I 've read that WS2000 gets rather big.Will CdC have a rough time next to it?Sorry if my English is not so good.

Comments (11)

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

Kalimera Anthi. Your English is a lot better than my Greek.
    WS2000 will be a lot bigger than Comte de Chambord, but if you give them both enough space, there is no reason why they shouldn't be together.
    I grow WS2000 here in Crete. It has a spreading habit and is now about 1.75 metres high and wide. Mine is planted near an apricot tree and I find that the blooms that are in the sunshine burn in the summer. The blooms that are in the shade of the tree are fine.
    All of the blooms are good in spring and autumn, it is just the summer blooms that burn in the strong sunshine.

I don't have Comte de Chambord here, but I grew it in England.
    It is a small upright rose, only about 70cm high by 60cm wide, from what I remember. Perhaps someone who is growing it now, can tell you more.
    Daisy.

WS2000 in Crete{{gwi:2121263}}

• Ermione_Greece(z9)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kalimera Daisy!You have given me much information.Thank you.I think I've made a mistake with WS. I didn't think he gets this big.I have planted him too close to jubilee celebration.Should i take him out and plant him again a little bit further?He has already begun to sprout new shoots(am i using the right words?)I don' t want him to become so big though.Would pruning control him?I wanted these two together because I thought WS's continious blooming would compensate CdC.

• buford
    9 years ago

My WS 2000 is very small and I've had it for years. I am not sure why. I may try moving it. CdC is not a very large rose bush. I can put out some long canes, but it's usually mannerly.

Maybe put WS behind Jubilee Celebration and CdC, that would be a great color combination.

• Ermione_Greece(z9)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion,buford,unfortunately the space in my garden for those roses is not wide enough to have two rows of roses.I meant to plant them side by side,CdC then WS and then JC and have the color combination like you said.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Your English writing is great!

• Ermione_Greece(z9)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really?Thanks a lot!

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I love the way Daisy uses colours of a similar palette yet it all looks just right... there's just that background of silver thrown in... so charming and I wish I had that kind of flair...

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Yes, really. If you had not mentioned that English is not your first language
    and that you reside in Greece---- we would not have known just based on your English grammar.

Welcome to the forum!

• Ermione_Greece(z9)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you mauvegirl8. Your words are really encouraging.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

There is no need to move WS if you don't mind your roses mingling. After all roses in a hedge do it all the time. However if you do want to move WS, now is a good time to do it.
    I notice that HMF gives the size of CdC as much larger than mine ever grew. I was hoping that someone who has grown CdC in a warm climate would let you know how it does.

Your spelling is faultless Anthi. It is much better than Maria's, who is the lady at the school, who teaches me Greek.
    Daisy

• Ermione_Greece(z9)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I must admit I' m a little confused.My options for pairing CdC are WS,scepter'd isle or Gartentraume.I think they will all get rather big,but I 've read that WS grows sideways also.So maybe I 'll replant WS to another spot with more room for him,and plant SdI with CdD.Will that be ok? Thank you for your answers.It is good to know that all the learning of this language I did growing up was worth it after all.