Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 5 Help Needed

Posted by rjlinva (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 23, 11 at 5:29

Greetings.

I garden in zone 7, but I am considering bringing some roses to my family in zone 5 (Cleveland, OH). Can anyone comment on the following roses?

Ruth's German Steeple
Arcata Pink Globe
Veilchenbleu
Blue Magenta

My feeling is that these will be winter hardy and relatively disease resistent without a spray program.

Thanks in advance, Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 5 Help Needed

I planted Arcate Pink Globe last summer. It grew, and grew and then, just for fun, grew some more. Even produced some lovely pink blossoms

It is, or is believed to be, a hybrid setigira, and as such should be hardy in zone 5. I will know next spring if it survived the winter, which so far has been a zone 6 winter, with lowest temp at 12F so far, and no snow. So far, it seems to be quite free from disease, even in a wet summer like we had.

o

I'll be really interested to see how these do in Zone 5. I love "Arcata Pink Globe" and "Ruth's Steeple Rose". APG is a hybrid setigera, so it should do well. You know how much I love this rose. RSR, a hybrid china, hasn't shown any winter damage here at all ... I'm a cold zone 7a, so this probably isn't applicable in your case, tho.

o

Bleu Magenta has lots of die-off here. I've seen it bloom once. I've been trying rosa setigera hybrids for years-lots of cane loss, so my experiment with those types is over.
I've heard Arcata pink Globe can be tough. So is American Pillar.
I tried an idea I've had last year. I've had too much cane loss to have a successful climber here, but I'll get some blooms on Dr. Van Fleet. So I planted a repeat blooming wichurana hybrid last year. Forget which one.
It did all right, because repeat bloomers bloom on new growth.
Is Cleveland windy? It is the wind, not the temps, that kills the canes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here