Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Felicia and Buff Beauty

I just placed my order for next year. I have ordered many replacements, and two new roses. Felicia and Buff Beauty.

In the past few years I have really liked the Hybrid Musks. I have 3 Penelopes, 2 Erfurts, Nur Mahal, and Bubble Bath. I am anxious to expand to these new ones.

Feel free to post pictures if you have them.

Sammy

Comments (19)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I know what you mean. I've been more and more attracted to Hybrid Musks also. I've had Buff Beauty for many years -- it always elicits comments from passer-bys when it blooms in the spring. Here's a glimpse of part of it.

{{gwi:207537}}

I planted Felicia last spring--it started blooming very shortly after that and looked just lovely with its pastel pinks and whites with just a touch of yellow--but I never took a picture of it, darn it!

I also planted Ghislaine de Feligonde, but she has just been growing greenly. Hope she blooms this coming spring. The pictures of her are gorgeous.

I also have a Jeri Jennings, which has the loveliest muted yellow-gold-buff blooms, but for some reason, mine won't take off and form a vigorous bush like my other HM's do.

I also ordered another one for spring, but would you believe it? I can't remember if it is Penelope or Cornelia!. Well, either one is lovely, so I guess I'll just wait and be surprised when it arrives in the spring. I know I picked it for a semi-shady spot. Hopefully it will take off and make beauty there.

Sammy, you and I need to take lots of pics of our HM's this year and compare notes. I don't know why I've never taken many pics of mine, but now that I'm actually getting a "collection," as it were, it's time to start showing them off. Don't you agree?

Looking forward to seeing your pics this year.

Kate

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Kate, your Buff Beauty is gorgeous. Hybrid Musks don't do well here because of the heat and poor soil but I love seeing pictures of them. Felicia is one of my favorites.

By the way what is that beautiful pink rose in the background on the left?

Ingrid

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid, for the compliments to my BB.

The pink rose in the background is Earth Song--a real attention-getter when it blooms. Pretty good disease-resistance, but it might not be as cold hardy as I'd wish, if it's reaction to last winter's brutality is any indication. I hope it feels better this year.

Kate

• chloeasha
    9 years ago

This was only a year old, but here was my Buff Beauty:

{{gwi:2121317}}

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

Here is my 'Buff Beauty' in spring 2013, doing its usual spring thing. I also have a young 'Felicia', inspired by the magnificent plant of it in the demo garden at Annie's Annuals. Hybrid musks are mostly spring and fall bloomers here, although a more liberal application of water can make them bloom more often. With this year's drought, the fall bloom was definitely curtailed.

• lynnette
    9 years ago

Felicia is one of the best Hybrid Musks. It grows upright to about 5 feet in the PNW and then arches over.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing your Felicia pic, lynnette. I plan to show it to my youngster Felicia come spring--what she should aim for this next year. Gorgeous.

Kate

9 years ago

Lynnette, I'm swooning over your Felicia. Not being a great lover of apricot roses, Felicia and Cornelia were always my favorite HM's. Your Felicia is a dream rose. I tried it here but it wasn't enthralled with the dry heat and not so great soil. It obviously loves the PNM.

Ingrid

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Felicia wafting under the shadow of John Davis in part shade...

9 years ago

true_blue, John Davis and Felicia make a beautiful pair. That's a gorgeous photograph of the two.

Ingrid

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thanks Ingrid. John Davis is more or less a scentless once bloomer. The 2nd flush being right after the first majestic one. Thought it is a tough as nails in my climate. Nothing fazes it.

Felicia can be temperamental, depending the year. This year it had a forgettable 2nd flush. Thought by fall it barely receives any sun....

But what a fragrance, rose water with a twit of musk.....

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

Catspa, that's a magnificent Buff Beauty! Here's my Felicia. It varies in size..wants to get really big but usually when full of blooms it'll rain and then bow over.

9 years ago

erasmus, that is absolutely beautiful. After seeing this and other pictures of your beautiful garden I'm wondering what your secret is. I'm sure your gardening skills are one of the main components, but I wonder whether your soil is also especially fertile and/or your climate is very good for growing things.

Ingrid

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid. I think California is where some of the most stupendous plants grow with the year round mild climate in some areas. But I think North Carolina is a good place to garden, with only 3 to 4 months of cold weather which is usually not too extreme. Usually tender roses make it through the winter with little dieback. We moved here from Houston close to 30 years ago, partly because I wanted to spend more time outside and thought the climate was more inviting. Most mornings here are cool, even in summer. The soil varies in this state from hard red clay to sandy loam. My garden mostly has sandy loam which is lovely to dig but fast to drain. We do get droughts sometimes so that is a problem. I used to add manure and composted leaves every year but no longer have a pickup truck. I don't water my established plants much even in a drought. Being on the east side of the mountains we get less rain than the west side. Still, it is more rain than some areas get. Water is probably the number one thing roses need. I have thought about moving to a rainier place for that reason but I do appreciate the rain we get. I like the climate here because it gets cold enough to grow some fruit trees and tulips but is warm enough for some tender things to come back. I like the four seasons, fall colors, and flowering trees and all else in spring. i.e. Come visit NC! Especially the mountains. I grew up in CA south of LA so I have many memories of how beautiful your state is also. I do remember how dry some areas were, and it seemed to me that even the weeds had a strong, concentrated aroma. I'm glad to hear about your recent rains.

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

I hope my Felicia grows up to be a beauty like yours, Erasmus. Wow!

9 years ago

erasmus, you make North Carolina sound very inviting, and obviously your plants are happy there. I do think that in many ways inland southern California is doomed unless some drastic changes are made. We're fortunate this winter but who knows about the coming years? I'm just determined to do what I can to maintain my garden for as long as possible, and to enjoy it, one day at a time.

Ingrid

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Just planted these two beauties for my mom yesterday once they were finally showing roots out of the bottom of their five gallon containers. I sure do hope they look like some of these incredible photos! There's something about the Hybrid Musks that has drawn me towards them this past year a bit more. I hope to try Nymphenburg and Lupe's Buttons myself in a few years.

Jay

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

I hope you'll get a better rain pattern out there. Ingrid, some of my plants do well but there are plenty that don't and some eventually die. I post pictures of the good ones, and have not posted pics of my weeds. Once I think I've got it weeded a new weed sprouts..it's never ending.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

My Felicia is busy growing and arching over, I know I put her in the wrong spot (too close to a handrail) but I think she is so pretty she needed to own a place she could be admired.

Now to get my space layed out for my little green house and put my Buff Beauty there