Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

customers!!

User
10 years ago

I wandered into work yesterday, expecting to find a couple of new roses for me to plant. Now this was for my solicitor customer who has a rapacious secretary - the same one who added a zero onto my bulb orders (450 alliums instead of 45!) so I ought to have been on guard. 8 roses! I take part of the blame because I e.mailed details of a rather good nursery I frequent (she had previously been paying Austin prices....and had ordered over 30 of them). At least she had followed my suggestions (apart from the 2 Albertines), so I had to work quicksmart to get them in the soil.
Rambling Rector, 2 Albertines, Blush Rambler, Aglaia, Gardenia and 2 William Tyndales - a recently found rambler with deep pink single blooms (unsurprisingly, this one was my top choice). Oh yeah, there were also 3 wisterias and 11 clematis too. I have been charged with an impossible disguise act - to somehow 'hide the evidence' of 2 enormous, illegally felled yews. And this is another tale to tell and further evidence that the general public are definitely in need of guidance and strong sedation.

Comments (8)

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Wow camps, that's a lot of work, hope the beds were prepared. Must be a large property. Over here being caught in the act of felling a Taxus baccata (ÃÂ suppose that's what a yew is for you) could land you in prison for a couple of days before trial and then you would owe that state a nicely rounded sum of Euros..

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

How sad. Being here in the land of no yews I really enjoyed seeing them in England. The ancient ones are a particular treasure...
    At least you weren't planting KnockOuts.
    And I agree with you re: the general public.
    Susan

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Here it is Giant Sequoia (redwood trees) which are protected, among others. We hardly have any "old growth" ones left (massive logging in the 19th century), so all of them of any age are protected. A homeowner in a town nearby had to prove that a few on her neighbors land were sick and in danger of falling on her house (all of the arborists agreed with her) and killing her family in their sleep before they could be taken down - this took several years in court cases and appeals. Eventually they were taken down.

I think if anyone just chopped some redwood trees down in the night, they would face a lynch mob.

A homeowner had several eucalyptus trees (blue gum) which were growing in a park downhill from her house chopped down in the night (they were obscuring her view). Now, those are not native to here, and are regarded as a fire hazard and messy, but nonetheless that homeowner spent several months on trial for various crimes before it was pled down and she was put on probation & fined.

Tree wars - always interesting...

Jackie

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

Jackie ....

One of the reasons I decided not to live on the coast in redwood country, which I love, is that when I was house hunting the local paper had an article about the city council denying permission to and elderly lady to remove 12 redwood trees that she and her husband had planted about 50 years ago on their property. She had reports from an arborist stating that these 12 trees out of the 70 they had planted were truly vulnerable to falling on her house when there were high winds, which were very common in her location.

I decided I couldn't live where trees planted by someone, not old growth, were more important than that person's life.

Suzy ... sound like you really had your work cut out for you.

I am feeling quite grateful that everything here is still covered in snow. I needed a break.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Ha! I once had foolish friends who planted redwood trees all around the fence line of their back yard (on about 3 foot centers!). Their back yard also had about 2 dozen rose bushes. About 5 years after planting the redwoods, I was over there and she asked me to come and look at her roses - there was something mysteriously wrong with them. Of course, the redwoods (which were already crowding each other) had completely shaded out the "rose garden", which was now in deep gloom. I suggested taking out all of the roses, and 2 out of 3 of the trees, and planting ferns.

Camp is right - "the general public are definitely in need of guidance and strong sedation"!

Jackie

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, I weaseled the truth about the trees from my customer (after checking on the public planning portal and finding nothing).........and my guy is a lawyer ffs. Frankly, I think he is going to need more than a clematis montana....or even Kiftsgate (our banksia, in terms of size and vigour) to hide this.....

Of course, the ground was prepped for 2 roses so I had to hustle to get them in the ground (had to dig monster holes because Trevor's roses have the fattest, hugest roots). I am terribly interested in the William Tyndale rose though - cannot find much info so far.....

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Puzzled. Since he went into the trouble to have it felled, why didn't he have it cut it to the ground?
    Nik

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well yeah? Why indeed?
    Truth is, these trees are under a Tree Protection Order, which means that the householder has a duty of care to ensure the trees are maintained in health....and any extraneous work MUST be approved by council tree officers, yes, even on private property. So, this was a sort of cack-handed attempt to remove some of the trees while still attending to the letter of the law (except it doesn't, since even thinning or crown reduction has to be authorised).
    I, on the other hand, am sitting back and waiting for the inevitable fines and trouble to hit my customer...although, as a lawyer, he deals in class actions against paedophiles and authorities sheltering paedophiles and is, in effect, one of the 'good guys' who is also becoming incredibly rich due to the nefarious behaviour of those who cannot keep their hands to themselves and their tackle in their pants.
    It is a sad and often bewildering world we inhabit (my client is, at present, working on behalf of many children from 8 different children's homes, approved schools and education establishments). One of our garden aims is to create a safe and reassuring environment for abused children.....although murderous tree workers are not exactly fulfilling this brief.