Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19771673

A Loss CarolFM has passed

User
10 years ago

Many of those posting on here for years remember the lovely funny CarolFM. She was a good buddy & a great gardener. Her husband informed me yesterday of her passing!
{{gwi:327589}}

Comments (30)

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I heard this from a friend this morning. I loved Carol. Even people who know her slightly will feel the loss of this beautiful person.

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to hear it. Thanks for letting us know.
    Melissa

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

I enjoyed her posts and wondered why she hadn't been posting. I'm so sorry for her family and for her Garden Web family also.

• bman1920
    10 years ago

Im very new to this forum. To the family im sorry for your loss. To the community of this forum. Im sorry for the loss of your friend.

• bman1920
    10 years ago

Im very new to this forum. To the family im sorry for your loss. To the community of this forum. Im sorry for the loss of your friend.

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

I remember the day that you took that photo. It made glorious memories.

I shall miss Carol. She was a wonderful gardener and a lovely person. I will go rub our dog's ears even though our dog isn't a Bassett Hound and doesn't talk back endearingly.

• Krista_5NY
    10 years ago

I will miss her. She was a very special lady. I remember her fondness for apricot roses.

Evelyn

{{gwi:217751}}

{{gwi:298903}}

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I had very much hoped to see her at the Lakeland HRF last month since it was held in her corner of the world, and remember being quite disappointed that she was not there. I had no idea she was so sick. It's very much like her to keep that quiet.

I will not forget her. She was a remarkable person, warm, funny, smart, loving; not to mention a great gardener. She opened her home to a number of us when we went to hear David Stone speak in South Carolina a few years back. What a good time we all had, and not in small measure to her and her husband Bill!

Rosefolly

• vics_gardenkeeper
    10 years ago

I hate to hear that as she was a sheer delight. I remember her laugh and love of dogs from that get-together. She made my husband and me feel as if we had all been friends for decades.

Sending fond greetings to all of you
    Kate

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting this, labrea. I am so sorry to hear this. She was one of the first people that I met through this place. She shared her Louisiana iris with me, sent me a rose for my garden, was always generous with advice and generally encouraging to this newcomer to growing roses in the southeast. She was smart, funny, and delightful to read. I remember how devastated she was when her basset hound, Beau, died. How sad her family must be from her death. How sad I am to hear of it.

Remember her pot ghetto? She had a most beautiful garden. Gean

This post was edited by harborrose on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 20:39

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I learned of her passing yesterday on the Rose Forum and was so sorry to hear this. I knew her only from the forum but her personality shone through in everything she posted, and I admired her beautiful roses and garden tremendously. My condolences to her family and those of you who knew her personally.

Ingrid

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Her kindness and good humor were apparent in her posts.

• seattlesuze
    10 years ago

Sitting melancholy at my desk looking out at the rain and thinking of meeting Carol in South Carolina at the David Stone workshop. We were all so passionate about roses and delighted to meet each other in person. Her feistiness and love of dogs and online games brought us together nearly every day on another forum. And we shared such a love of Alchymist. I think my favorite image of her is one where she stands beside her massive climber with the biggest grin on her face. She will be missed and long-remembered. I imagine her having a rollicking welcome from Beau and Harvey. See you later, Carol.

• buford
    10 years ago

I didn't see this thread yesterday. I was shocked when I heard Carol had passed.

I was also at the David Stone seminar at Ashdown, but I didn't really know anyone well enough. I wish I had so I could have spent more time with Carol in person. We became friendly here and then on Facebook. I will miss her.

A mutual friend (Trisha from Ashdown) posted her obituary on Facebook. I've attached it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carol's Obituary

• gnabonnand
    10 years ago

Thank you for your email, Joe, and for this thread. Similar to what Gean said above, Carol also sent me some of her Louisiana iris a few years ago. I never asked for them, she knew how much I liked them and so she mailed them to me. I was so surprised and grateful that someone would do that for me. It's the kind of thing that is totally unexpected and makes you feel special. They are to this day still growing outside my kitchen breakfast nook window. Each spring when they bloom will be a special reminder of Carol and what a warm, generous, happy person she was.
    Her family was truly blessed to have her touch their lives.

Randy

• User
    10 years ago

Far, far too young - always so sad.
    R.I.P., Carol dear.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Thank you, Joe, for posting this. What a wonderful friend, gardener and wonderful, sharing rosarian has slipped from our company. Oh, yes, she was also such a great hostess, as well. The times I was in her well-kept and well-appointed home, she was always gracious, charming and giving. She loved that big Bassett hound as much as anyone could love. May God bless and keep her family and heal their fresh wounds with time and may the roses she grew and loved serve as a precious, fragrant memory of her time here. Carolina and California Carol were both beautiful ladies who are no longer with us.

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

So sad---so young and so much loved by family and friends-----
    she will be missed by all of us

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

This is really too bad. I am so sorry.

• cath41
    10 years ago

It is sad to hear of someone so good and generous passing away. This world needs each and everyone of them.

Cath

• Kippy
    10 years ago

So sorry

Seems several wonderful people have passed

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I planted Alchymist a couple of years ago because of Carol. And she grew the finest Francis Dubreuil I have ever seen.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness! I am so saddened! I don't get to the forums regularly these days and I just saw this. I will never forget Carol's warmth and sweetness, nor how she made me feel welcome in her home one evening after an Ashdown workshop. She had a lovely home and garden - but most special was her charming self. I was thinking of her recently and wondering why we no longer saw any posts from her anymore. Such a loss.

• jeannie2009
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear of her passing. God Bless.

• ronda_in_carolina
    10 years ago

This is heartbreaking for me. I was hoping to find her here on the forums again....but not this.

• bbinpa
    10 years ago

RIP Carol. You will be missed. I did not know she was sick.
    Forgive my late prayers. I pray for her family.

Barbara

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

I somehow missed this in December. This is so sad. Carol was a true lady. A rose lover and a garden artist.

I recall meeting Carol in 2007 at a rosey gathering on Long Island. My memory is not so good anymore, but Carol was unforgettable .

My condolences to her family and everyone here who knew and loved her. She will be missed.

Harry

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've been off the forum for a few years. I am so sad to see this. I had tried to get in touch with her a few times. She was the sweetest person

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago

I think of Carolina often. We lost Carol Markell as well, the two Carols. I miss them both.