Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you think this is spider mites?

Posted by curdle 9b, Australia (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 9:09

These are some leaves from the baby Prospero (given as an end of season bare root bodybag present from my mum about 4 months ago). It was a bit dried out by the time I got it, but it leafed out with great vigour, then promptly mildewed its little heart out.
I already have an older Prospero, and it has never shown any signs of mildew at all , so I assumed it was just because of its bad start...it kept growing, and even tried to flower (snapped them all off, as it had better things to be spending its energy on)
Anyways, the mildew is now cured although the leaves are still showing the effects.
But... now its looking a bit like other roses I had last year that had spider mites.. so what do you think? spider mites, or the after effects of mildew? Or another disease/bug I don't know about?
How hot does it have to be for spider mites to start up? From what I can find, it needs to be hot and dry..its definitely not been dry here, or all that hot yet bar a couple of days here and there..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you think this is spider mites?

It certainly looks like spidermite infection to me. If you cannot use a magnifying glass to detect them, do the white sheet paper test by shaking the leaf over it. You should be able to see the acarea dead and alive on the white sheet.
Nik (from tetranychus land)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here